Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2013
GARY,M

Ben and Nicole,
When we made a run to DC we toke the ohio turn pike to clevland,then dropped off and worked our way south.after the turnpike it was up and down all the way there, grinding up and coast down .it got alittle old.coming back we got on the turnpike asap and it was much more enjoyable driving.for me it was worth the money.and the ohio turnpike has places to park and hook-up. electric only 20.00 bucks.you just pay the yellow machine and it prints out a receipt that you put in your window.
when we are heading in that direction we leave the night before our scheduled departure and we can count on staying on the turnpike at toledo.we feel we got a head start on our trip.and i think its fun to pull off the expressway and go to sleep.
and as for the hills .i was always told you go down in the gear you went up in and that has worked for me.slower is better.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefixr66 View Post
Ben and Nichole, If you are going to Brevard,NC in april , WHY NOT come a little farther south to Myrtle Beach and join the rest of us at Ocean Lakes campground for the Birds at the beach Rally. You will have a "Big Time", meet many wonderful people, see many birds and eat way too much. It's what THIS FAMILY is all about! Give it serious thought
We would love to do that.. We cant wait to meet more BB owners. I think we will make it to a rally this year, not sure where yet.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Ben,

We will be home from about April 10 thru the end of the month. Check out the map, Saluda is less than an hour from Brevard. You are welcome to come by and talk Birds with or without your coach. Several mountain grades on I-75 and I-40 between NC and Mich, but nothing extreme. You should be fine if you just take it easy.
Thanks Jim. We will keep you info handy.
Old 02-13-2013

Thanks for all the advice. I've traveled to NC many times in a car and never really considered how I might drive differently in a 35 foot Bird. When I was 15 just after I got my learners permit, my dad had me drive through the mountains in our family van. After about an hour, the breaks went completely to the floor at the top of a massive downhill. I learned how to downshift real quick. I think we got up over 80 and my Dad was as white as a ghost. The old Ford burnt some rubber on the down shift but we all survived.

I'm praying for something less exciting in the Bird. :-)
Old 02-14-2013

I obviously don't know what your plans are, but just in case you decide to spend some time in Asheville, NC I want to share something with you. We went down there a couple of years ago and stayed at Campfire Lodgings Campground. It is just a short run from downtown to the north. If you can, rent one of the premium sites. These are not side by side as usual. They are more end to end. This gives you the most amazing view of the valley below. I almost didn't want to leave to go do the usual stuff around Asheville. I have been across this country many times and this is by far the most scenic campground I have ever been to. Here is the link http://www.campfirelodgings.com/ Even if you can't get one of the premium sites there are plenty of places to sit down and enjoy the scenery, just not just outside your own door on your own patio.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278