Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2013
Administrator

Alan there are a few Birds on the Cape, maybe they will reply
Old 05-18-2013

Hi Alan and Welcome to the Nest!
A few questions to consider:
are you planning to full-time (not own a home, only the coach)?
is your wife on-board with full-timing if so... you might consider renting a coach for a month, much, much cheaper than spending a lot of $ to find out that your wife does not really want to leave her nest... we saw this happen a LOT in an RV resort we lived in in FL...
- which coach type are you looking for? up to a month or so you can get by with an FC but for more storage you will need a SP or PT (unless you have a trailer behind your FC!).
- what is your price range for a coach? and then add at least $10k buffer, new tires are about $700 each and they die every 7-10 years...
- Did you figure in maintenance and expenses on these beasts? figuring about a $1/mile for fuel, $50/night for parks (big $ buffer here), $1/mile for maintenance worked for us...
Not trying to scare you, it's better to be prepared... like a good Boy Scout...
Old 05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
is your wife on-board with full-timing if so... you might consider renting a coach for a month, much, much cheaper than spending a lot of $ to find out that your wife does not really want to leave her nest... we saw this happen a LOT in an RV resort we lived in in FL...
- which coach type are you looking for? up to a month or so you can get by with an FC but for more storage you will need a SP or PT (unless you have a trailer behind your FC!).
- what is your price range for a coach? and then add at least $10k buffer, new tires are about $700 each and they die every 7-10 years...
- Did you figure in maintenance and expenses on these beasts? figuring about a $1/mile for fuel, $50/night for parks (big $ buffer here), $1/mile for maintenance worked for us...

These #s are quite a bit higher than I have experienced. I'm not a full timer but even if I were the #s are still high. I do most of my own work which lowers the maintenance $. If I had to pay 1$ per mile plus the fuel cost, which today is around 60 cents per mile, plus insurance there would be little left for space rent. Very few parks I stay in charge 50 buck per night after I use the available discounts. There have been exceptions in south Florida and the keys.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
Thanks for the reality check. We won't be full timers but I would say much of the year-ers. This Spring I saw my LAST SNOWFLAKE!! We'll just follow the warm weather North, stay on the Cape for the Summer and then follow it back to the South. My wife actually wants to do this more than I. Although she sees traveling in a different light. The first 2 weeks she wants to go to Labrador, Michigan and the Shenandoah Valley. My approach is more of drive somewhere, stay a week or two, and get to see all that there is to see. I'll have the keys so it will all be worked out. She loves to travel and camp and see the National parks but she knows that when I travel I will only travel and stay at a Marriott, Hyatt, etc. So I'll have my Marriott on wheels and I'll be sure to pack a pup tent for her to use next to the campfire at the adjoining camp site. If it rains or if its inclement I may let her inside but not really sure - I want her to have her full camping experience you know (just kidding).

Were looking for a >1999 90K to 130Kish. No matter what model we chose there will probably never be enough storage, I guess. As far as costs the planned costs are always much easier to handle than the surprises but all in all I think we can handle it. We can't think of a better way to spend our children's inheritance! In the end they will at least have a great machine to fight over.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2013
Forum owner

Welcome to the Zoo!
We are here to help,if you need it.
You can call me about any bird i'm selling,or any other bird for sale in the country.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-18-2013

Sounds like a great plan! Keep us updated to your progress and we'll help any way we can. I think there may be 6 bird owners on the Cape.
89 PT40
Old 05-19-2013

Welcome Alan
Good to see another Cape Codder here!!!
I am in Chatham.

This site and the folks on it, are some of the best, helpful and fun people you will meet.
I know you will find the bird of your dreams!
And congratulations for deciding on a Wanderlodge!!!

1973 31FC
Cape Cod MA
Old 05-19-2013

Wish I had known you were from Chatham. I've been at the Chatham Anglers Baseball Field for the past two weeks. Would have liked to meet you.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2013

Thanks for joining, and by the look of the welcoming, you know your in the right place. I am kidded because I bought a bluebird bmc... Don't let that kidding fool you it also is an excellent coach. I found this site after I bought. Wish I had found it before could have had the confidence to negotiate better, but all in all I felt I did good. I do not have the slides, and I think not having them is better, because its another Murphy item to deal with at the wrong time when it breaks. The big benefit of the bmc is the spartan and the cummins.

Best of luck to you and be safe on all your travels.....
wwg@mac.com
Toad 2001 Venture
Toad 2006 PT Cruiser Ragtop
Tandem Tow Dolley
Forest River 24 Toy Barn
Old 05-19-2013

Welcome to the group and hope to run into you on the road somewhere sometime. Like you I;m looking forward to traveling more in mine and being kind of a free spirit, there is no telling where someone will run into me. Currently I'm planning on heading to Labrador in late June or July then spending some time exploring around Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
1979 Kadey Krogen 42
Ham radio call AL7OO