Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2009

Default BIG BEND NP need tips

I am going to take my daughter down to the BIG Bend National Park for a couple days of site seeing any tips on what to look for? We are going down the 1st week in November.

Thanks Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 10-18-2009

Denny I have been there a couple of time it is quite beautiful. you will want to go up to the basin and hike from there. I don't know if you are going to do much hiking but that is the way to really see the beauty of the place. If possible hike up to the rims its one of the most spactacular views. If you can't do a long hike, there are shorter hikes you can take out of the basin area. One was called Devils Kitchen if I remember correctly. But if you can do it make it up tho the rims its unbelievable. If you are towing a jeep or truck there is also the river raod that is a fun drive. Also make it down to the hot springs and take you swim trunks that water is really hot. Have not been there is a few years but I assume that its allstillaccessable. Good luck

Ron
Old 10-18-2009

That is a fun trip Danny, and will be a whole lot cooler for you than on our in late May. We essentially just buzzed through the area too quickly due to time constraints, but want to go back sometime when having more time.

We stayed at Stillwell Ranch, on the north side, about 6 miles east of Hwy. 385 on FM2627. Lots of history there, and has a little interesting museum. The owner will unlock it for you when you ask. Cheap. They have three or four sites, with 50 amp. Watch out for a low hanging electric line on, I think, #3.

I recommend a book sold there and written by Hallie Stillwell; "I'll Gather My Geese". Will give your daughter a good feeling of being a woman in the wild old west. Have fun!
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 10-18-2009

I spent a few weeks in Big Bend when I was on my year long travels a few years ago. Here is the web log I kept while I was there.

Just hit Next to get the next entry.

http://users.gmavt.net/craigl/050218.htm

I wish I were there now!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 10-18-2009

Craig great journal It brings back many fond memories from there. I have been nearly every place you had photos of. I cant wait to return there.
Old 10-18-2009

That is a great journal. We are swinging through there on our way back from Quartz site in January.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-18-2009

Default Ft. Davis area

I've never done Big Bend...next time in TX perhaps.

As you pass thru or if you need a stop before getting to Big Bend, try checking out the Ft. Davis/Alpine area. Great views and hiking at the Ft. Davis State Park; the nearby observatory has programs for kids and adults - we did a "star party" where they set up about 6 telescopes and have astronomers lecture you on what you are seeing.

The high mountain climate is great in summer, no humidity! DAD NOT HOT! and that ain't heard often in Texas!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 10-18-2009

My motorcycle group has a yearly rally out there and we have a great time. It is wide open country and very scenic. Ft Davis loop is nice. The state park there has nice camping and a good restaurant. Be sure to go to the actual fort. it is very historic and interesting. The road from Presidio to Lajitas is somewhat dangerous and slow. Do not take it in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy, it is very scenic.
The actual park has several dont miss opportunities. Santa Elena canyon is breathtakingly pretty. Take your walking shoes and take the short hike up into the canyon and enjoy the scenery.
The road into the basin has some extremely sharp switchbacks. Do not attempt with the Bird or any trailer etc.
I also recomend the hot springs. If you are feeling frisky, just roll over the edge of the pool into the rio grande and swim over to Mexico. Not recomended if Border Patrol agents are close by.
If you have a 4x4 you can pretty much go on any park road without any worries. I suggest The River Road if you want to see the back parts of the park. If you only have a two wheel drive be very careful if it is wet or rough. You are a long way from AAA or anything else.
Take plenty of gas when you travel out there.
Ask any thing else if you have questions. I will check back occasionally.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 10-18-2009

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips on what to see and do. Craig thanks for the link to your blog sounded like that was a great part of a long and wonderful trip. I am trying to get all the planning done now I will post some photos after we get back.

Denny

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB