Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 04-07-2017
BIG MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I might have gotten a concussion. Not sure, but the symptoms seem to match. I'm surprised I didn't split my skull open

I'm about to the end of them anyway.
Yikes! Hope you are feeling better...thankful for the rain keeping you awake!!!

Oh noooooo...... not near the end?????? We are enjoying these True Stories so much! Thank you for keeping us entertained!!!
2001 LXI single slide
04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
89 SP SOLD
Woodwinds450@yahoo.com
Old 04-07-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Sorry to hear of your fall Jim. Glad it was not worse, and you utilized your down time to prepare your interesting stories for us.
Thanks
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-07-2017

Jim, the more you wrote, the more you awakened some long gone memories. At that time frame, our Parish didn't have much major crime, and when we did it always from an "outsider". Someone passing through or from New Orleans.
Old 04-07-2017

Jim you are so good at this just make stuff up. We'll never know the difference and we old folks need the entertainment . Other wise we get bored and with nothing to do tend to wonder around and get in our spouses way.

Sorry about the fall and especially the landing

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-07-2017

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It was just one of those stupid things that happen to all of us. I have busted my noggin before, but this time it seems to want to hang on. I think it has about passed though. I guess it is all just part of getting older. We don't recover as quick as we used to.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 04-07-2017

Can't wait to read the 'concussion series' of stories. Glad you are feeling better.

I find it entertaining how you have to work around a certain word, it reminds me of the Woody Allen movie 'Take the money and run' with his note at the bank which said he had a 'Gub'.
Herndon, VA
Old 04-07-2017

So we head back to Fort Wayne. This time it was at Mach 2 not Mach 1 like on the way there. I may have done my personal best at getting back in just under 2 hrs. We just beat the evening rush hour, or we would have been in gridlock, like everyone else in Chicago. We get to the State Police Post and we take all the evidence into the lab and log it in. I get a call from the States Attorney’s Office, in Joliet. They advised that an attorney just called them and that he has a client that may have in his possession a (thing) that was used in this homicide investigation. I advised them we would be back to Joliet in the morning. Before I got home I received another call from the S.A. Office. They had another attorney call them to tell them that he may have a client, that gave the suspect a (thing) that was used in this investigation, and they are not the same people! Since we are dealing with the Chicago area HOLY COW!!!! is the only thing that is appropriate at this time.

So we are off to Joliet again. This time I called ahead to a couple of places to alert them I was coming through at Mach 2!! So we get to the P.D. and meet with Det. Albritton again. So has anybody guessed who we are going to talk to? If you guessed Briggs you were correct. I don’t have any prizes for correct guesses unfortunately. Anyway, we sit down with Briggs he tells us that Locke gave him a (thing) that has a 3 and an 8 in it, along with 50 rounds of wadcutters, plus a briefcase with some personal effects of the suspect, for the express purpose of not having to explain to us, what he was doing with that (thing), especially since it was dirty. Briggs said that he was very hesitant, but then he and Locke had been friends for a long time and he just couldn’t imagine, him doing anything wrong. That was until we told him Locke wasn’t going back, with him that night. He said that was the longest drive of his life. He was absolutely petrified and still is. We said that it would have been much better that he told us that night, but we understood and appreciated that he did come forward. Of course we got the briefcase and items, which Albritton was given the night before, by Briggs, and kept in their evidence room. Finally, Briggs stated that after Diana Armstrong talked with the suspect, she called him to tell him that the suspect wanted her to get some bonds out of the bank, along with a quit claim deed to allow him to secure bond to get out of jail. She was to tell Briggs that Locke told her, “Tell Bob to get rid of what I gave him.”

Det. Albritton, had picked up David Jaeger and brought him to the Joliet P.D., while we were talking with Briggs. We then sat down and interviewed him. Jaeger stated the Monday before the murder, the suspect called and asked if he could borrow a (thing) with the numbers 3 and 8 in it, to go to the club and practice. He did not show up until Wednesday to get it. We showed him the (thing) that Briggs gave us and asked if he could recognize it and he said that he thought it could be his, but there were no distinguishing marks and he didn’t know the serial number, so he couldn’t be 100% sure. We asked him if he purchased it at a shop and he said that he did. I said no problem, we will check with the ATF and get their records on the sale of the item. We concluded our interview and headed back to Fort Wayne. By this time my car was on auto pilot. We got back and I placed these items into evidence and requested ballistics tests. Also, apparently after we left, Det. Albritton received a call from Sharon Locke, the suspect’s ex-wife. Apparently, Locke called her after his incarceration, to talk to her. He apparently made some incriminating statements to her. Jim called me to let me know and what would I like to do. I told him I liked him a lot and would love to see him again sometime, but not today, not tomorrow, and really not in the near future. So unless this woman saw Locke do the deed, just take her statement and send it to us. He said consider it done. That late afternoon, all of us involved in the investigation, met with Arnold Duemling, the Allen County Prosecutor. We provided him with all of the information on this case and he filed charges immediately for Murder. James Locke was able to get his attorney to plea the deal to Manslaughter and got 20 years. I vehemently opposed this deal. I accused the prosecutor of wimping out. It was clear to me, that this was a planned murder. Not only that, but there were two shots! One specifically to put the victim out of his misery. Locke commented how the victim was gurgling and choking. Not a heat of the moment situation, which you would need to qualify for Manslaughter. Not only did he borrow a (thing) he had it with him and then made it appear as if it was a robbery situation, with the money and no billfold ever found. I considered this a travesty of justice to the Nth degree, but to no avail. As it turned out, Duemling didn’t run in the next election and he gave away the farm that last year of his term, on many cases. He just wasn’t going to work if he didn’t have to. So Steve Freck’s attorney, Steve Simms, ran for office of Prosecutor after Duemling. Freck of course was in the last story and Simms in the one before that, with Sharon Lapp that had her throat slit. That was one of his first cases as prosecutor. Because of my work on this case, was the reason Simms called me on the Lapp murder. I never gave much thought to all the connections to all these cases at the time, but when looking back I find it interesting.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 04-07-2017
Old Guy

Jim,. I hope your concussion did not wipe out your memory I was looking forward to the story about my old home town Warsaw.
314-378-9882
Old 04-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryKehler View Post
Jim,. I hope your concussion did not wipe out your memory ������ I was looking forward to the story about my old home town Warsaw.
Larry, there isn't that much to tell about the deal in Warsaw. Quickly I can say the State Board of Accounts came in to do their annual audit. On of the guys saw some irregularities. What started it all was he found the purchase of some plumbing supplies by a fireman. When they asked the fire department about it. No one new where the plumbing materials went. He called me and wanted to know if I would look into it. I had to get permission, since I was investigating a government agency or agencies as it turned out in this case. The rest of the stuff I found in my investigation.

We'll start at the top. The mayor was taking in his RV to the city street department to have work done on it. City property, city, employees on city time. Not to mention that many parts were purchased through city purchase orders and the city paid for them.

Then the city street superintendent along with another two employees would bring in their cars and work on them on city time, use city oil, and so on. One guy repaired his son's vehicle, that got crashed. Tore it apart, bought new replacement parts, put it back together and painted it, all on city time and funds.

The fire department had two chain saws. Almost a $1,000 was spent on chains and chain oil, over a period of 4 years. I checked their work logs (pun not intended) found only two times in 4 years that they were used to remove a tree limb from one of the city streets. But I did find that several firemen, including the chief burned wood in their homes. Yep, they used the saws and the city paid for the stuff. The fire chief authorized the purchase of a Simplicity tractor complete with snow thrower to be purchased by them to mow the yard on the Center St. Station. You know the one across from Kroger's The patch of grass that they had was about the size of an average living room. The driveway was bigger but it was still pretty small, especially since you already had a street department with equipment to move snow. So the following year after purchase they sold it. The chief bought it at about a 1/3 of the price that it cost new.

The police department was pretty clean. They did have one guy that took his car into the street department to work on it once. But he used his own time, and brought his own parts. All he did was take up some space and used a lift. Not exactly a major crime.

That was about it. Not that big of a deal. The prosecutor at the time was one of two things. An idiot or was doing the political payback thing. Not sure which or maybe both. In either case, I had never seen someone run a Grand Jury as he did. It was almost as if you let a defense attorney run it, not a prosecutor. There is no judge in a Grand Jury. He starts it, gives some instructions, then leaves. He comes back in when they are done and reads the "Bill". It will read True Bill or No True Bill, meaning we believe there is enough evidence to charge Theft or there isn't. It is all secret, so there is no one to complain to. These jurors were all tax payers and it was their money being spent by these jerks and they thought it was ok, so I just sat there and thought ****'em! I spent an entire three months of my life turning up this ****, interviewing, digging up documents in the various departments and digging up more in the businesses that supplied the materials all for nothing. I found out many years later, that Warsaw is one of those "good ol' boy" towns. Even big companies trying to come in and set up a store or business have trouble fighting for their right to do so. Did you ever wonder, why in a town as big as Warsaw is, there are so few national chains? There are some now but back then there was nothing other than McDonalds. Everything was local stuff. There are still only two national restaurants and those are Ruby Tuesday and Applebees. There isn't one good steak house in town. It took Meijer Foods 5 years to get one of their superstores in town. They even had to sell the land they were going to use and buy some more. I wonder who owned that land? Anyway, I'm getting a little carried away. That's the story on Warsaw. Such as it is. Be glad you live in St. Louis.

I forgot to tell you about what the firman did with the plumbing materials he bought. He had a couple of rental properties. So while on duty for the city, he purchased plumbing supplies, the city paid for them, and he put the stuff in his rentals. For the life of me, I still can't get over how dumb all this was and how nothing ever became of it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278

Last edited by isp2952; 04-08-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 04-08-2017

I’m sound asleep! At least I was, until I heard the phone ringing. I know when the phone rings at 0 dark 30, it can’t be somebody telling me I just won the lottery. It’s never good news. It wasn’t this time either. The Post Commander called to tell me there has been a shooting in Roanoke. A police officer was involved and he wasn’t the deceased. Well that’s at least good news. I tell him I’m on my way as soon as I get dressed. Man I hate to wake up this way. Especially when I’ve only been asleep for a little over an hour as it is. So I buzz up north on I-69 to Lafayette Center Rd., where the GM Truck Plant is located, then go west to Roanoke. I get into town and I can see all the flashing police car lights, so I pretty much found where it was. I mentioned Roanoke in my blizzard story and unfortunately between then and this incident, we lost some of my favorite people, the Town Marshal, Joe Crow was one of them. He just didn’t wake up one morning. He went the way we all dream of going, but he was much too young. Anyway, when the PC told me on the phone to contact the Roanoke Town Marshal it was going to be a fairly new guy and I didn’t know much about. I was wondering what he had gotten himself into, on the way up there. So, I pull up and there were a couple of State Police cars sitting there and the Troopers were outside standing next to an Olds Cutlass, that was half up on the sidewalk and the doors open. I see the county Sheriff and a couple of deputies also. The Sheriff comes up and tells me, “Jim, we are not going to get involved in this investigation. We feel it is better that you just do it.” Which is code for, this is a mess and we don’t want to get the stink on us. So I see the Town Marshal standing at the front of this Cutlass, which by the way, was right in front of his office. So I go up and I walk by the passenger side of the Cutlass and see a deceased male in the passenger seat, his feet are up on the dash. He’s all slouched down in the seat and appeared to be in his 30s. I took note of a large lump on the upper right of his forehead and I see blood on his chest and stomach. I walk up to the Marshal, Gene Spencer and ask him what happened.

He said, “I was inside my office, I heard the screech of tires, and headlights shining through the door. I get up to see what was happening, go to the door and Gary Sailors gets out of the car and tells me a guy has been shot and is in his car.”

“Gary Sailors!? Where’s he at?”

“Sitting inside my office.”

So this entire time I thought it was Gene that got into something over his head. Gene, was the type you would picture, as a Town Marshal, for a very small town of maybe 1,000 people. Not necessarily the sharpest knife in the set, we’ll say. Nice guy, and I hate to characterize him that way, but he should have stuck to his previous job, working at the local 84 Lumber Yard, instead of going into law enforcement. So it wasn’t him, but Gary Sailors, involved in this. A city police officer from Huntington! Now that was even stranger.

I walk into the office and there sits Gary. He had a couple of slight abrasions on the left side of his head by the eye. He usually wears glasses but they weren’t on him but in his hand, a little bent. I had known Gary for maybe 15 years or so. He was just a patrolman for the city of Huntington Police Department, when I came to work in the area, as a Trooper. Subsequently he had been promoted to Sgt. and currently to the rank of Captain. Gary had also been elected to the local school corporation’s School Board. He had a daughter in my oldest daughter’s class in school and a son a year or so younger. I found it strange that he was up here in Roanoke, in the middle of the night, on a Friday night and early Saturday morning. I started to ask Gary some preliminary questions, but had to be careful on how I approached it. As soon as I suspected anything criminal may have occurred I had to consider him a suspect, not a victim or a witness, which changes the whole dynamics of the thing. The deceased was in his car, the Town Marshal saw Gary getting out of the driver’s side of the car, and Gary told him that he shot the man in the front seat. As long as I was investigating, a possible officer involved shooting, I had many things to consider. First of all, was he on duty or off duty? He was in his personal vehicle. He was in civilian clothes tonight, but wore a uniform, when working. So what the devil was he doing? Especially, what was he doing up here in Roanoke, 10 miles from the town he lives and works in? Was this a justified shooting? The mind has many ways to go on this one.

Just prior, to my starting a conversation, with Gary; my two Crime Scene Techs show up. Dave Lloyd and Pat Malone, were two top notch techs. They apparently hadn’t even been home yet. If you recall in my story about the Fort Wayne P.D. Lab being decertified and our techs were processing all of the Fort Wayne P.D. crime scenes, plus their normal duties of taking care of our crime scenes. Well, that is why they had not been home yet. So, I excused myself to Sailors and went out and met with them and told them, what little I knew at that point. They said that they would get started on the area around the car and the body. The coroner was waiting for them to complete their preliminary things like photos and general assessment, before removing the body to be taken to the morgue for an autopsy, which would be conducted the next day. The car would be impounded and towed up to the State Police Post and processed in our garage. I leave the two of them to do their thing.

I go back in to talk to Gary. He tells me that the deceased individual was a friend, Michael Fisher. Fisher told him that he was willing to take him to some drug houses, where he would be able to connect Sailors with a dealer, and Sailors then could subsequently arrest the dealer. He went on to say that this was the second or third time that they had done this and that they had gone up to Fort Wayne, one weekend and set up a “sting” in a Motel 6, up there. This time Fisher produced a bag of marijuana seeds and told Sailors this was next year’s crop, at which time Sailors told him he was under arrest. Fisher allegedly got mad, attacked him and was chocking him and telling him he was going to kill him and his family next. At that time Sailors took out his (thing I can’t talk about) and shot him. He couldn’t remember how many times. He said he may have emptied the gun. Now before you guys go crazy about that answer, let me explain something. It is not unusual to get that response. Especially from an officer that has never experienced the discharge of his (thing) in the line of duty. I investigated a lot of officer involved shootings and more than once I got that answer. Not all. Some are totally under control and can tell you exactly how man they fired and how many the bad guy fired. I asked him for his (that thing I can’t talk about here), which he said was in the car. I asked if this is the only one he had. No back up? The answer was yes and no respectively. My mind was suddenly racing. I’m thinking of that coded conversation the Sheriff and I had about the “mess” and I assumed they didn’t want the “stink” on them. I was getting a faint odor of something and it didn’t smell good. I decided that for now, I had enough to start trying to put the pieces of the shooting together and thought it best that Sailors go to the local hospital, to get checked out, since he claimed he was attacked and then I could talk to him later. I also wanted to confer with John Branham, the prosecutor, prior to going any further with an interview. I also thought as a courtesy, I needed to talk to his Chief of Police and the Mayor of Huntington. They clearly had a stake in this if Sailors was acting in an official capacity, which he stated he was, even though he was out of his jurisdiction. So, I had one of the Troopers take Sailors to the hospital and then on to his home. I go back out and talk to my techs, as they were getting ready to remove the body from the car. I told them I wanted to get a better look at things before they removed the body. I literally got down on my knees to get the best advantage of seeing inside the car. I noticed that there was blood and what appeared to be a wound in the chest. I was still not understanding, what the bulge, on the right front forehead, of the deceased was. It would become critically important later, along with a couple of other things. It was all very strange, with particular note that the deceased’s feet were up on the dash. Almost as if he had been placed that way? Upon the conclusion of my viewing things, we loaded up the body in a body bag and the coroner took charge of the body to be taken for an autopsy.

To Be Continued.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278