Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-23-2018

Default POTPOURRI of PROBLEMS

Hi all, I'm back to work on the bus. Still working on the coach. A couple of questions;
Only one of my electric heaters is working. The one in the bathroom. I planned on pulling them and cleaning but for now is there a common switch that could be holding them out? All 110 circuit breakers are on and the A/C switches as well.
Next it occurred to me that I won't have hot water without being plugged in or running either the generator or main motor. I intend on adding an inverter but still that"s more power than I wan't to draw from my battery's. Has anyone installed a propane water heater in my type bus?
Last I've found another unlabeled switch It's in the small overhead compartment, drivers side, just in front of the A/C discharge. Anyone know what it's for?
Unable to add a picture It's just a standard toggle switch in the place I described. There's also an standard 110 outlet in this compartment.
Thanks
2002 Roadtrek190
Email: AnFear58@yahoo.com
Old 08-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnFear View Post
Hi all, I'm back to work on the bus. Still working on the coach. A couple of questions;
Only one of my electric heaters is working. The one in the bathroom. I planned on pulling them and cleaning but for now is there a common switch that could be holding them out? All 110 circuit breakers are on and the A/C switches as well.
There is a relay near the heater. You need to take the drawers out of the cabinet and then look for screws holding the front on. I had that relay go belly-up years ago in Mexico. Took the relay out and cleaned all the contacts...has worked fine ever since. Have someone turn the thermostat up while you get near the heater. If you do NOT hear a distinct click near the heater, then the relay is your most likely problem. Of course, the heater itself could be shot. Test it by running a 110v ac source to the heater after the relay.
Quote:
Next it occurred to me that I won't have hot water without being plugged in or running either the generator or main motor. I intend on adding an inverter but still that"s more power than I wan't to draw from my battery's. Has anyone installed a propane water heater in my type bus?
I have never heard of anyone going propane route. Why not use one of the three ways provided (generator/shore power/engine)?

Quote:
Last I've found another unlabeled switch It's in the small overhead compartment, drivers side, just in front of the A/C discharge. Anyone know what it's for?
Unable to add a picture It's just a standard toggle switch in the place I described. There's also an standard 110 outlet in this compartment.
Thanks
It might be the summer/winter switch for the heating system OR the electronics (clock and who knows how many relays) disconnect to help prevent batteries from being drawn down with coach in storage. Hope this helps a little.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-23-2018

The toggle switch you described sounds like the electronic on-off switch. Some DC current was not routed through the main DC switch which is under the dash and to the right of the steering column. That toggle switch turns the rest of DC current off-although there seems to always be some phantom loads. Its mentioned in the owner's manual-if don't have one there is one on the forum archives.

Bad Andy in Wisconsin just documented his installation of a propane fired water heater. Very nice install.

Electric heaters: Sometimes the switch or knob that you turn to call for heat is broken and the contacts don't meet. You may have 120VAC going to the unit. Would have to pull and test. Lot's of info on that as well in the archives as well as suggested replacements.
Kansas, Il
Old 08-23-2018

Thanks, yeah I'm going to test the heaters and contacts. I just thought because all 3 aren't working there might be a common switch I overlooked.
The reason I want a gas option for the water heater is I like to boondock. My electric needs are pretty low. Water heater changes that. I can go nearly a week in my Roadtrek without running my generator. I'll look at the link. Thanks
2002 Roadtrek190
Old 08-23-2018
Black Sheep Division

The PO installed a standard 10 gal propane water heater in mine. They just took out the old heater and left that space empty. Installed the new heater in the cabinet directly above the old heater space. I think they did it that way so as not to cut the outside aluminum trim work but I would rather have the cabinet back. They could have put it in the old heater space . It works nicely though.

TOM
Old 08-24-2018

I was thinking to just replace it with a 10 gallon propane heater. Seems like the hardest part is running the gas line. Anyway that project is way down on the list, Water heater is working and not leaking.
Like Ejallison1 and Nealinnevada mentioned I think the toggle switch is a secondary 12 volt shut off. I believe it shuts off things like the clocks which should stay powered when the main 12 volt shut off under the dash is switched off.
Thanks.
I'm back to work on the plumbing, still haven't figured out how to make the final connection from the bus water lines to the new Pex lines feeding the faucet, ice maker etc.
I also decided to change the water inlet where the hose connects because it leaked. Seemed like it would be an easy job but now I'm looking at having to remove the wall behind the bed. Problem is the close shoulder nipple going into the elbow was put in buy a 400 pound gorilla and I can't get a good bite on it with enough leverage to loosen it. 15 minute job is turning into a multi-day project. Going to hit the elbow with the torch, if that doesn't work looks like the wall has to come out.
2002 Roadtrek190
Old 08-24-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I'm going to test the heaters and contacts. I just thought because all 3 aren't working there might be a common switch I overlooked.
The reason I want a gas option for the water heater is I like to boondock. My electric needs are pretty low. Water heater changes that. I can go nearly a week in my Roadtrek without running my generator. I'll look at the link. Thanks
Boondocking in a PT will drain the batteries in a day or so. You will probably need to run the gennie an hour or two every day and that will take care of the hot water heater. Mine holds the heat overnight easily.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-24-2018
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
I'm back to work on the plumbing, still haven't figured out how to make the final connection from the bus water lines to the new Pex lines feeding the faucet, ice maker etc.
I used Sharkbite connectors. I really don't like them for permanent connections but they worked. On a previous coach, I eventually replaced everything with pex.

TOM
Old 08-24-2018

I just installed a tankless on-demand water heater that is LP powered. This required a 3.75" hole to vent it. One of the tank-style 6 or 10 gallon LP heaters required a giant ugly square hole in the side. The tankless works great so far, but you will want to install a circulation pump and return lines to make it perfect. Otherwise you waste a lot of water purging the cold water out of the hot water lines when the heater is on. With the circulation pump you have scalding hot water in 1/2 a second at the faucet/shower.

The benefit that you get with the tank styles is you can get one that will have an engine heat exchanger like the original and also you can power them with 120vac as well as LP. You also don't need a circulation pump (but it would still be nice to have!).

On the electric heaters - have you checked that the A/C units all run? They are on the same circuits as the heaters so that would be a good check to do. The heaters on mine all have a thermostat knob on them, so if those are turned down they won't fire up.
Old 08-24-2018
Forum owner

I boondock almost 100% of the time.all electric.

I don't get why your worried.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com