Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-24-2019

Default Winterizing - questions

Hi all,

This time of the year, temps are slowly coming down, the bus will be outside and I started the winterizing process on our '88 PT-40.

According to the manual, there should be low point drains under the kitchen sink but there are none there....I found one in the Propane tank compartment and it drains the cold water pipes only. Don't have a ice maker anymore and no InstaHot. There should be a hot water plumbing low point drain but where would it be ?

I followed the instructions and

- emptied the fresh water tank first
- turned water pump on and pushed out as much water as possible at all locations
- connected shop air to the bus and drained the water heater
- flipped the Water Purge Air Pressure switch on the side of the bed to ON and air entered the system. Opened all faucets, toilet, shower, low point drain and let all the water come out until there was only air coming out in all positions.

- took the big house water filter under the bed apart, removed the filter, confirmed that the air pressure pushed all the water out (and it did)

And.... now I am left with a few questions.....Is that enough ?

Should I get a bucket, electric pump and put in the system 15 gallons of Pink Antifreeze as well because even with all the air blowing and pipes seemingly empty there is a chance of water trapped in places I am not aware of on a PT ?

What is the advice from PT owners that have winterized their coach and did not have problems ? Is there a hot water drain hidden somewhere that I must hunt down ?

Thanks. Please chime in....
Old 10-24-2019

When I had my 89 I installed this before the water pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-C...r-Winterizing-
TRV874795/dp/B0006JJ588

I blew air through all the water lines to get the water out and then pumped
in RV anti-freeze until the faucets ran pink. I think it took 6 gallons.
I did not have a water heater bypass kit so the pink went into the water heater.
When finished I drain the pink out of the water heater back into the jugs.
Make sure you put anti-freeze in all traps and the black & gray tanks.
Remember to leave all faucets open.
I never found a hot water drain.
I hope this helps.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 10-24-2019

Thank you Alan, appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2019

Never trust just using compressed air. You can buy a neat little hand pump that hooks up to a gallon bottle. You pump the AF from each faucet into the system. Uses much less AF. But no matter how you do it AF is a must.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 10-24-2019

I plumbed a T into the line out of the fresh water tank with shutoff valves. When I winterize, I shut the line out of the tank off and turn on the T, which is about a five foot line I put straight into the antifreeze bottle. Turn on the water pump and run about 2-3 bottles thru the system until I see pink come out everywhere. What is nice about this method in the spring is I run several five gallon buckets of fresh water thru the same way to get rid of the pink so I don't introduce it into the system.
VB 1570
Old 10-24-2019

I'm doing mine this weekend...

I left pine mountain with all the faucets open and the water heater drained... Got a transfer pump and am going to use that to pump antifreeze into the city water hookup until pink and pour some in the traps and hopefully I won't have any water leaks this spring..

I'm also going to get an electric heater and open up all the cabinets so that there is some heat in it while it sits in the driveway
Old 10-25-2019

What I did last year is, drain the system and then I pumped "the pink stuff" into everything and then I blew "the pink stuff" out. That way if any is left in the valley's it's "the pink stuff" and not water. This method made a big difference with the left over smell of "the stuff". Flushed the system once in the spring and the smell was gone. In the past when I didn't blow "the pink stuff" out, it took a very long time to get rid of the smell.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 10-25-2019

The first winter I had my coach here I drained the water system (including tanks), blew out all faucets including the washer, and then added pink stuff to the fresh water tank. I used both pumps to run water to all fixtures until I got pink.

It took a very long time to get rid of the smell/taste in the spring.

Last winter we were living in the coach (plugged into 50 amp) and just used the basement heaters (and interior heat) to prevent freezing. Much simpler de-winterizing.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 10-25-2019

Thank you all. It seems that pink stuff is cheap insurance and a must. Will do it.
Still can't find a hot water low point drain.....where did they hide it ?
Old 10-26-2019

I suggest disconnecting that air valve to the water system. What has happened, is that valve starts leaking.
What happens?
The water pressure then fills your entire air system, brakes and all, with water! Not good.
Disconnect, and then just use air pressure thru the water inlet.
Much safer.
I blow mine out, the fill with pink, until it comes out all water outlets.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB