Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-08-2010
Can't re-member

Hmm, hadn't thought of that one. Good idea to pursue.

Question: If I do decide to pursue this in the future one of my reasons of logic was that considering in hot weather how much the transmission heats up the water in the radiator while in heavy "in town" traffic. My thought was that if I removed the transmission coolant lines from the radiator the engine would run cooler on hot days in stop and go traffic and the Horton fan would come on much less frequently. This was all assuming a suitable air to oil heat exchanger could be found and mounted with an automotive thermostatic fan under the coach. However it sounds like from your experience the air-to oil portion of this equation doesn't work so well. So, perhaps I should be considering a large auxiliary heat exchanger installed in line with the current configuration instead. Thoughts?

Again, this is just something I have been considering and only if I ever (probably won't) get the other projects finished.

Thanks Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I would use a water to oil type cooler,instead of an air to oil.
I tried an air to oil cooler on my pickup and it never did cool very good,i changed to a water to oil unit and mounted it under the truck and ran heater hose to it and its fine.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 05-15-2010

I'm going to mount another trans temp gauge with the sensor in the pan. I too have seen high trans temps, but they only occur when in first or second gear when pulling a hill.

There is a grade nearby we often drive that requires second gear for about 10 miles and that sends the temp up about 275. But as it appears that is the converter out temp and I'm curious as to what the temp coming back is.

How about and air to oil cooler in the return line from the water / oil cooler? That would certainly lower the temps.

What is the scenario when you see high temps?
1982 FC33
Old 05-15-2010

I see the same kind of temps. I try and turn on the engine fan early and keep it on until the hill is behind me. It helps with the temps.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 05-15-2010

Default Tranny cooler

Down here in Central America 30km 8% grades are common on major highways, 10km 10% grades on good secondary roads and the occasional 1-2km of 15% off the beaten path. All with air temps up to 95F.

I think I'm going to go with the manual fan over-ride and a mist spray system.

Regards,

Last edited by GPSGary; 05-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2010

Gary, I see why the natives go with the manual transmissions. The torque converters do generate lot of heat when not in 'lock-up' mode. Your 35 foot FC with the Allison, seems more suited for less steep terrain and less winding roads, but you already know that.

Maybe, you will soon own a 'Chicken Bus' and an FC Wanderlodge in order to have the best of both worlds? Sounds like you are having a great time and are getting a real feel for the culture. That was a quick turn around on the generator repairs and complete paint job etc. Keep up the travelogue and posting of the pics. Thank you.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-15-2010

Since you got 'reasonable' labor rates down south, might want to consider the fresh 10 speed trans, clutch, flywheel and most importantly the shifter to install in a 3208 powered FC that I happen to have in inventory. Another good possibility is installing a Spicer in line auxillary transmission, Spicer in low range, Allison in high converter locked a top speed of 37 mph would be just the ticket for them 15% grades. Randy has one of them, so do I.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 05-15-2010

Good idea...ask the boyz doing your work, if they are willing/able to install Mike's aux gearbox. Mike may be lookin' for an excuse to head south of the border...or someone on the forum may want to haul some freight south.

I have not inquired yet, but Copeland's Bus Co in St James, MO, deals in used school buses in a big way and may be a supplier of many donor buses for the Guatemala Chicken Bus (GCB) conversions.

http://<br /> http://www.retireearl...m/boy_toys.htm

Checkout link above, a beautiful entry with the Blue Bird logo...has Ernie been in Guatemala, doing his magic?

Maybe a company needs to start doing the GCB conversions here in this country instead of shipping the used donor buses to the south? Maybe the school districts in America should be buying "brand new" GCBs to encourage our young folks to ride the school bus instead of driving their own autos to school? Whoops, there I go again...
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-18-2010

I replaced the transmission filter inside the pan this weekend. While I was in there I installed a sensor for another trans temp gauge in the pan. I plan to cross Oregon Hwy. 204 from Weston to Elgin this weekend. It is a tough climb for the FC. 2nd gear, 25 MPH about 12 miles, not sure what the gradient is.

I'm curious what the tranny fluid temp is coming back from the cooler.

If, during a hard climb, a guy gets nervous about the trans temp, can you back off the throttle a bit to give it some relief, or do you have to pull off and let it cool? I'm not sure too much would be gained if I pulled off as the acceleration all the way to 20-25 MPH would probably just heat the fluid again.

Input?
1982 FC33
Old 05-19-2010

Default Tranny issues

My experience has been to lock up the tranny by entering the climb at > 2200rpm and keep it there.

Minimizes the tranny heating.

Not easy to do on long 10%+ climbs.

Pura vida,
Old 05-19-2010

On a grade steep enough for down shifts, the progression is; 4-3, 3-converter unloc, 3-2 Best place for a secondary temp monitor is the sump, or oil pan. If sump temps approach 250, that's scary and it would be wise to pull over and operate engine @ 1500 rpm, fan on of course trans in neutral until temps go down. Generally it won't take but a few minutes.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/