Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-08-2010

Default Need a little help here - gen mod

I got my blower two weeks ago and let my Guatemala friends have at putting the generator back into service on their own and found its above their skill level left undirected.

Right now I need some guidance on the radiator - water pump circuit.

Normally the water flows top to bottom assisted by the pump in getting up to the top of the engine with a pressure cap on the top of the radiator.

After laying the radiator down, I currently have two hose outlets and one pressure cap fitting, all at pretty much the same level.

I bought a radiator filler neck gizmo from Jegs and think the right way to do this is seal off the radiator cap fixture on the radiator ... connect the (old) lower fitting to the pump side of the circuit and put the radiator filler neck gizmo near the outlet from the exhaust manifold (up high) and run a right angle hose down to (old) upper hose fixture.

Right ??? comments

Can someone send or post pictures of something that works?

Wave,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rad-filler-neck.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	5777  

Last edited by GPSGary; 07-08-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add image of filler neck
Old 07-08-2010

Right. I think you got it nailed down. Make sure the cap you use on the radiator has a higher pressure rating than the cap on the "filler neck adapter" from JEG's. I think you will be fine doing it that way.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 07-08-2010

That should do the trick. My only question would be whether it would be better to have your inline filler on the pump side (more pressure due to the pump output) or the return side (less pressure due to pump suction). It probably doesn't matter, as long as it's the high point in the system. I might also be tempted to raise the old upper (new outlet) side of the radiator ever so slightly (like a washer between the radiator and it's mount) to help prevent air from getting trapped there.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-08-2010

With my luck, I'd braze a cap on the original radiator spot. Any removeable cap would fail before the other causing way too much grief!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-08-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

There are some pictures on my photo website of how we did it on my laid down radiator, follow the link in my signature below, the pictures are spread throughout the album. Mine has the water routed through the marine style exhaust manifold also.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-08-2010

Default Picture - questions

OK, I've reviewed the pictures along with the printed descriptions and its clearer now. However, I can't find a picture showing the filler cap in the manifold circuit. It would really help.

RE: the marine manifold - Does the water cool the exhaust or the exhaust heat the water? What is the purpose of that type of manifold. Would I be better off cutting it out of the circuit?

Wave,
Old 07-08-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSGary View Post
OK, I've reviewed the pictures along with the printed descriptions and its clearer now. However, I can't find a picture showing the filler cap in the manifold circuit. It would really help.

RE: the marine manifold - Does the water cool the exhaust or the exhaust heat the water? What is the purpose of that type of manifold. Would I be better off cutting it out of the circuit?

Wave,
I can't answer your question about the marine manifold, it was in the circuit so we left it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
There are some pictures on my photo website of how we did it on my laid down radiator, follow the link in my signature below, the pictures are spread throughout the album. Mine has the water routed through the marine style exhaust manifold also.
You just didn't look far enough;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-08-2010

Quote:

Wave,
Water cools the manifold.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 07-09-2010

Default Capacitor ???

I looked at the documentation that came with the motor for a hook-up diagram. There is none.

I am an electrical engineer but motors were never my thing. I do know if I do it wrong, I've get global warming on a miniature basis.

How do I hook the capacitor into the circuit and where is a good place to mount the sucker?

Wave,
Old 07-10-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Generator fan motor

Quote:
I looked at the documentation that came with the motor for a hook-up diagram. There is none.

I am an electrical engineer but motors were never my thing. I do know if I do it wrong, I've get global warming on a miniature basis.

How do I hook the capacitor into the circuit and where is a good place to mount the sucker?

Wave,

Hi Gary,

A lot of motors have the wiring diagram on the motor itself. On my motor there are three sets of wires - input power wires, capacitor wires and wires to select the rotation.

The capacitor for my fan motor is remotely mounted in a box attached to the blower housing. I attached a PDF with pictures of my General Electric fan motor showing the wiring diagram and the capacitor location. Your motor may be different so be sure to find the correct diagram for the motor you have. It was a tight squeeze to get the camera in so I had to focus on one section at a time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator Fan Motor Wiring 2.pdf (661.1 KB, 213 views)
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001