Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-31-2010

Default Seized engine...

And yes, it's my fault.
I changed the oil a few days ago in my 1982 FC33, and decided to install a Fumoto oil drain valve. It had a nipple that hung down from the drain pan, and I hit a curb and broke it off.....one mile later and five gallons of Chevron's finest spewed over a nameless Spokane street and the 3208 was history
So, after a $600, 275-mile tow, the bird and I arrived back in La Grande at four o'clock in the morning.
I have to go back up to Spokane tomorrow morning and pick up the family. Right now I'm looking for advice on options to re-power, and would appreciate the wisdom of the forum.
And before anybody says anything, I want you to know that NOTHING could possibly match the expression on the tow-truck drivers face when he looked at me after checking the damage.

Cheers for now
Tom
Old 07-31-2010

Thomas, The choice is really up to you. Reman or used. I have a reman long block in our BB but there are a lot of used 3208s out there.
I have a friend that bought a complete 700 Ford forest truck with low, low low miles for 2000. and drove it home.

The one positive thing is the cheap tow bill. That had to be a brother in law deal.

Good luck with the repower.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-31-2010
prone to wandering

Wow Tom, that really sucks. I am guessing that the simplest solution is to repower with a reman 3208 Cat. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 07-31-2010
Gardner

TOM,
That's really is a shame. You tried to do something positive and it turned out bad. I got a warning about the risks associated with the Fumoto at a Maxton rally a couple of years back. I stayed with the standard plug.

Anyway, I believe the least cost path is to get a 3208 reman installed. If you want to go with a different power plant, unless you plan to do alot of the work yourself, it will quickly exceed the value of the coach. Upgrading to a turbo requires modification of the dog house and exhaust, plus extra cost since your curent core is not a turbo unit. I guess it boils down to the condition of your FC and weather you should replace the entire coach or go for the re-power. Just my opinion.

I have no idea of the final cost of installing a reman, but I would guess 13K to 18k, and that is a guess.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-31-2010

if you cant do it yourself I wouldn't invest the money. Its a great project bus for a wrencher. I bet you get 10 g's if it is in good shape otherwise. that is 23,500 if you add what it will cost to pay for all the repairs, upgrades, might as well do,and must do's while the bus is down.
Old 07-31-2010
Forum owner

####,too bad about the curb,who put that there anyway?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-31-2010
Senior

We have talked about the fomoto valve on this forum before and the dangers if you get the incorrect valve. You do NOT want to install the fomoto valve with the nipple on a FC coach. The regular valve is fine.
I installed a regular fomoto valve on my PT and would not be without it. The new owner of my previous 1982 FC35 also installed a fomoto valve on his 3208.

I am interested in why you needed a nipple on your fomoto valve. Did you have it connected to something that made it even lower?
6V92
Old 07-31-2010

Thank you very much for the replies.
I ordered the nipple valve, well -- I don't know why...When it arrived I installed it in a hurry, and thought I had plenty of clearance
Then engine seized I coasted around a corner and stopped. I looked under the front of the bus. I had that feeling one gets when one realizes they've done something irretreivably stupid.
I'm considering everything you guys have suggested, including suing the City of Spokane for Anti-Fumotoism
From the time the bus went down until I arrived here in La Grande, less than ten hours had elapsed. That was one wild ride through the hot Washington State desert night in the cab of this gigantic red tow truck -- almost worth seizing an engine for.
Frankly, the cost of the tow seemed ridiculously low. $598.50? That driver busted his tail to get me home 271 miles, at night, with a very complex tow. Thank heaven for AAA.
I won't be able to respond to any more replies for a day or two. I have to go back up to Spokane tomorrow morning.
Thanks again, everyone!
Tom
Old 07-31-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

buy a school bus
bluebird and install the cummins complete with every thing

no way i would do a that cat back~
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 08-01-2010

Check with your insurance co. We lost an engine due to interaction with a construction barrel & our oil pressure sending unit. Insurance covered the replacement.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".