Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-20-2010

Default lexan headlight cover m380

I need to replace both headlight covers, has anyone any for sale? or can anyone let me know type and supplier.

George Kempsell
Palm Harbor FL
2004 M380 "Flying Scotsman"
Old 08-20-2010

George,

Parliament coach carries them. I had new ones put on late last year. They're not cheap though. About $200 apiece as I recall. I learned (the hard way) not to put any high water pressure on them, especially at truck/rv washes. That protective film will come off very easy under high pressure. In fact, I don't let anyone put high pressure on the front of the coach, just hand wash and rinse.

J.L. Haney
2004 M380 D/S
Tag axle? We don't need no stinkin tag axle!
Auction Consulting Experts, LLC
Acebid.com
Lakeland, FL
Old 08-20-2010

George, check with Stephen Birtles at www.dupreeproducts.com
Austintown,Ohio
Old 08-20-2010

Default restoring headlight covers for M380

I don't want to cut Stephen out of too many future sales, but I feel I have to throw in my 2 cents worth on this subject. I bought my 2004 last year and immediately began doing a number of minor repairs. One of those repairs was replacing the rusted machine screws that retain the lexan covers on the headlight assemblies. While doing that work I found out that the clearcoat that had been applied to the covers was starting to peel off. It took a little time but I completely peeled off the remaining clearcoat leaving a lexan cover that had been lightly sanded during the paint prep process. I was able to polish out the haze and scratches using some scratch removal compound I had around the house leaving the covers transparent and new looking. Now you can buy a headlight cover polishing kit at most auto supply stores.
Old 08-21-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
I don't want to cut Stephen out of too many future sales, but I feel I have to throw in my 2 cents worth on this subject. I bought my 2004 last year and immediately began doing a number of minor repairs. One of those repairs was replacing the rusted machine screws that retain the lexan covers on the headlight assemblies. While doing that work I found out that the clearcoat that had been applied to the covers was starting to peel off. It took a little time but I completely peeled off the remaining clearcoat leaving a lexan cover that had been lightly sanded during the paint prep process. I was able to polish out the haze and scratches using some scratch removal compound I had around the house leaving the covers transparent and new looking. Now you can buy a headlight cover polishing kit at most auto supply stores.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General > Headlight Lens Restoration Kit

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-21-2010

The kits work great in restoration of hazed plastic lenses however all protective coating has also been removed. I put a UV protection salve on mine that is supposed to prevent UV degradation (Boat product for plastics). Figured it's better than nothing.
Old 08-21-2010

Default Lexan headlight covers

Thanks for all the info. It looks like the polishing kit is a good way to go before investing $200 a cover nothing to lose except time away from the golf course

George Kempsell
Palm Harbor FL
2004 M380 "Flying Scotsman"
Old 08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
Did the same with mine, turned out just like new. As mentioned, getting the clear coat off is time consuming and tedious, but the end results are worth it. Just don’t get into a hurry as you don’t want to damage the lexan cover.
Old 08-22-2010

Took the clear off mine with tape with good adhesive on back. Just laid the tape on the surface, smoothed it and lifted it off.

Mine was peeling.
San Marcos, CA

Old 08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gsur View Post
Took the clear off mine with tape with good adhesive on back. Just laid the tape on the surface, smoothed it and lifted it off.

Mine was peeling.
Great idea!! I will try that. Thanks