Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2010

Sounds good Leroy good tip. BTW when you coming back to nashville, lunch my treat this time?
Old 08-23-2010

Hey Slim. I passed through yesterday at 0200.. Will call when I pass through in daylight..

Please understand that obtaining operating temps from others may not be applicable to your bus because of equipment location variations. You are getting model specific and equipment specific numbers.
For example, the Blues Brothers 1988 PT40 which operates normally at 180 degrees is set up differently than my 1990 WB40 which operates normally in Summer with the chassis air or fan override on at 190 degrees and cycles between 184 and 191 only when the chassis air and fan override are off.
Accordingly, don't go chasing temp ghosts.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 08-23-2010
Geek

I mentioned that I'm going to have to climb my nemesis grade on Saturday, so I was looking at the details and weather report today. The hill doesn't have any % signage, but I've always thought it was around 8%. Turns out that it rises 844 feet in 1.99 miles with a double switchback, which averages just under 8%. Like most grades it isn't even so there are probably portions that are closer to 9-10%, generally in the first mile.

Forecast for tomorrow is for 104 degrees, but that's the peak and it is supposed to fall to 83 on Saturday. If it does it will definitely be the coolest crossing I've made of that summit (Oregon Mountain on CA 299, elev 2888 at the crest).
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-23-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I mentioned that I'm going to have to climb my nemesis grade on Saturday, so I was looking at the details and weather report today. The hill doesn't have any % signage, but I've always thought it was around 8%. Turns out that it rises 844 feet in 1.99 miles with a double switchback, which averages just under 8%. Like most grades it isn't even so there are probably portions that are closer to 9-10%, generally in the first mile.

Forecast for tomorrow is for 104 degrees, but that's the peak and it is supposed to fall to 83 on Saturday. If it does it will definitely be the coolest crossing I've made of that summit (Oregon Mountain on CA 299, elev 2888 at the crest).
Don the Mountain Guide has the following to say about Oregon Mountain Summit

Elevation 2888 (on California highway 299 west of Weaverville, CA)
Descent is about the same on both sides of summit (warning signs state "8% grade next 3 miles"). The eastbound descent continues right to the edge of Weaverville. The westbound descent has a runaway truck ramp 1.3 miles down from the summit. There are 30 and 35 mph curves before you reach the escape ramp. The ramp is in the middle of a long 30 mph curve to the left. It goes up hill but is very short. Three miles down from the summit the grade eases to about 4% for 1 mile and then 6% for 1/2 mile and then eases again into Junction City.
Old 08-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
Interesting Greg. Same configuration, different result.
Some thoughts/questions.

How did you verify the fan in high mode while driving? That is, the Alarmsat moving it from idle to too RPM. Possible causes of RPM degration as you state are clogged filters, faulty pump. Others could be Alarmstat failure or the valve it self restricting flow.

I think elimination of the cap is in order. I run 13 psi because it blow overboard with a 7 as specified.

I cut my mud fkap in half because I believe it disrupts flow. I cannot prove that before I start a war. It is cosmetically better and makes me feel better. Accordingly, eliminate the mud flap as the issue.

Might be a water pump. Could be a dirty radiator but seems I remember you having yurs out.

You could go down the road from home in fan override and see what happens before you throw money and time at it.
Leroy, thanks for the reply. I can see that the fan kicks in at 195 when I go down a level hwy. the reaction to fanning seems good w/o a grade. I am assuming that it kicks in high rpm.
I thought of using the bypass valve to see if it was dirty filters??? My assumption is the bypass valves eliminate the fluid path thru the filters sending the pressurized fluid right to the motor??? I just dont know what dirt is in the bypass path that may come back around and screw the filter even more when the bypass is turned off. My thinking is to use the bypass for a brief run to suspend the #### in that path prior to a hydrolic fluid and filter change.

I did have the rad out about two years ago and rodded it at that time it was 90% plugged.

I dont know how to test the waterpump but if the filter change and bench test doesnt prove a repair I may just opt to drop in a new water pump
Old 08-27-2010

I have trouble shooting ideas. On the road, can't find your number. 850-830-1617.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 08-28-2010
Geek

Ambient temperature makes a big difference. I don't know what the precise temp was as we tackled Oregon Mountain today, but the forecast this morning was for 67 and that felt about right. As noted above, at 100+ that hill takes me down to 18mph in first gear to maintain at or below 200 degrees coolant temp.

Today I was limited only by available power, and generally maintained 35mph up the 8% grade, with two exceptions - a hairpin curve signed at 25mph took me down to 29, and a particularly steep spot just before the top had me down to 30.

Coolant temp hit 192 for a couple of seconds at the end, before immediately dropping as the hill was crested. On a day with 5 summits, none of the others exceeded 189 degrees coolant temp.

The highest summit today, Indian Hill (elev 5933 feet) on Ca 44 near Mt Lassen, has a gentle approach that is mostly full speed and the highest temp on the way up was 187.

So, my past experience was again validated - it takes a combination of high ambient temp and steep grade to put Blue Thunder into temperature distress!
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
I have trouble shooting ideas. On the road, can't find your number. 850-830-1617.
My cell is 951-830-5997 I'll call you this week for advice.
Old 09-05-2010

OK, here's a puzzler (to me, at least). My 8V92 has consistently run at 175 water temp and 215 oil temp during the four months/4500 miles I have owned it so far. It has stayed constant throughout the Florida heat and on my way up the East Coast, only varying during long/steep hills where the oil temp will rise to 230 (according to the original equipment gauges, at least).

Now that I am in cooler weather I will look down and see the water temp has risen to 190 or so and the oil temp has climbed and hovering around 230--even on level ground. The outside temp has to be around 70 or below and it doesn't always happen in this weather. Switching on the fan override brings it back down to normal temps of 175 and 215, but I worry about not catching it in time and having the temps get even higher--although the oil temp never seems to get above 230.

Should I be worried or is this normal. Is it likely to be a faulty fan temp sensor, a thermostat, or some "feature" that makes the engine run warmer in cooler temps?
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 09-05-2010
95 WB 42

Jim

I don't think it's NORMAL our 82 with 6V92 did exactly the same thing on our trip to Sturgis in Aug.
My overheating problem self corrected on trip home every thing returned to normal.I plan on replacing temp sensor,checking wiring to control valve, and drain,flush and replace oil in power steering/hyd fan system.
I am thing it's not a huge problem but I am concerned as we've never had temps over 190 before. May be debris in system blocking control port.
Also need to install override switch I don't have one.
Will post results if I find the cause.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell