Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-24-2011
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Default Toe Kick heater.

Finally got around to trouble shooting the toe kick heater in the bedroom. Initially the problem was the simple alan screw in the t stat. It worked for a short time only then nothing. So today I traced the current break to the output line of what appears to be a snap disc t-stat. The current is broken at a point after the disc but before the fan motor itself. There is a screw down clamp on that wire and it is wrapped with what looks like surgical tape (factory). Is this some kind of a fuseable link? If I jump that line back to the output terminal on the snap disc, the heater will run. Motor nice and smooth an quiet and the elements heat. Based on this I'm not sure if the problem is the snap disk or what? See photo below. What do y'all think?

Thanks,

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-11 NH 205 (Large).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	10886  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-24-2011
Gardner

Bill,
It does look suspiciously like a fuseable link. No way to tell the value or if a replacement is available. But it isn't chared or damaged like it was overheating or anything. You really need a parts manual for it..
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-24-2011

Its a FASCO (I think that is the manufacturer) heater. Pretty well made and I would like to keep it. When it works it does a good job. Guess I'll take the snapdisc with the fuseable link up to Grainger perhaps they can figure it out. If it is a fusable link and it failed I guess I need to figure out why.

Thanks Gardner.
St. Petersburg, Florida

Last edited by NH Bill; 06-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Finally got around to trouble shooting the toe kick heater in the bedroom. Initially the problem was the simple alan screw in the t stat. It worked for a short time only then nothing. So today I traced the current break to the output line of what appears to be a snap disc t-stat. The current is broken at a point after the disc but before the fan motor itself. There is a screw down clamp on that wire and it is wrapped with what looks like surgical tape (factory). Is this some kind of a fuseable link? If I jump that line back to the output terminal on the snap disc, the heater will run. Motor nice and smooth an quiet and the elements heat. Based on this I'm not sure if the problem is the snap disk or what? See photo below. What do y'all think?

Thanks,

NH Bill
Fixed it... pretty sure anyway.

Here is what I learned. Took the wire with what I suspected was a fusible link to the local electronic surplus store... the staff there used to make big stuff for the defense department so they tend to know a lot more that one would imagine. Anyway without a doubt the guy confirmed it was a fusible link. We talked about how the thing was wired and what kind of current the link was protecting. It was the little fan motor. So he recommended a little 9 amp circuit breaker.

I put this in and back to the same thing it was tripping after about 45 seconds. Decide to clean all terminals and elements. Still same thing. I reviewed the connection option diagram and it indicated there were 4 elements. This Fasco heater can be configured to run at 500 w, 1000 w, 1500 w, 2000 w. The unit was set up to run at 1500 W and one of the elements was free appears to have never been used.

In my web search for Fasco I came across a replaceable parts list at Grainger and one of the replaceable parts is the elements. So, I'm assuming these can go bad. Started wondering if that was why the breaker was tripping.

I decided to cut it back to 1000 w by disconnecting one of the elements. I disconnected the bottom one. Fired it up and it ran as it should, cycled off and on did not get too hot or pop the breaker.

Decided to put the never previously used element on line (think it was the third one up) and take it back up to 1500W. Sure enough it worked as it should. Tested it for about an hour so far so good.

Mounted the breaker behind the grill on the far right well away from the heat and it is positioned so I can see it and reset it if necessary.

What do think guys, did I fix it? ...or is there something wrong with this solution?

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-11 Fasco heater.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	10895   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-11Fasco heater.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	10896   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker for Fasco heater.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	10897  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Fixed it... pretty sure anyway.

Here is what I learned. Took the wire with what I suspected was a fusible link to the local electronic surplus store... the staff there used to make big stuff for the defense department so they tend to know a lot more that one would imagine. Anyway without a doubt the guy confirmed it was a fusible link. We talked about how the thing was wired and what kind of current the link was protecting. It was the little fan motor. So he recommended a little 9 amp circuit breaker.

I put this in and back to the same thing it was tripping after about 45 seconds. Decide to clean all terminals and elements. Still same thing. I reviewed the connection option diagram and it indicated there were 4 elements. This Fasco heater can be configured to run at 500 w, 1000 w, 1500 w, 2000 w. The unit was set up to run at 1500 W and one of the elements was free appears to have never been used.

In my web search for Fasco I came across a replaceable parts list at Grainger and one of the replaceable parts is the elements. So, I'm assuming these can go bad. Started wondering if that was why the breaker was tripping.

I decided to cut it back to 1000 w by disconnecting one of the elements. I disconnected the bottom one. Fired it up and it ran as it should, cycled off and on did not get too hot or pop the breaker.

Decided to put the never previously used element on line (think it was the third one up) and take it back up to 1500W. Sure enough it worked as it should. Tested it for about an hour so far so good.

Mounted the breaker behind the grill on the far right well away from the heat and it is positioned so I can see it and reset it if necessary.

What do think guys, did I fix it? ...or is there something wrong with this solution?

NH Bill
I think you out thought the problem and fixed it. You sure your not part farmer???

Seriously, I think you found your problem. As always, excellent fix and write up. Thanks.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 06-25-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Bill,

Looks like you did well. I have the same problem with my front Fasco heater too. I believe the snap switch is the ultimate culprit.

Fortunately, I almost never need heat. Actually it has been hoter than Betty Crocker's Oven here lately.

How are them shocks a comm'n along?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 06-26-2011

Sounds like you nailed it to the wall - however - I think your breaker is a tad undersized. 1500W / 120V = 12.5A and your breaker trips at 11.3A these are all nominal ratings so you are getting away with it (now that it's new). Fuses are usually sized at 1.25 x full load so 12.5A x 1.25 = (roughly) 15A. As long as it works don't fix it but if the problem returns you might go to a 15A breaker.
Old 06-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Sounds like you nailed it to the wall - however - I think your breaker is a tad undersized. 1500W / 120V = 12.5A and your breaker trips at 11.3A these are all nominal ratings so you are getting away with it (now that it's new). Fuses are usually sized at 1.25 x full load so 12.5A x 1.25 = (roughly) 15A. As long as it works don't fix it but if the problem returns you might go to a 15A breaker.
Leonard,

Good information, thanks for qualifying this. Over time, if it starts tripping, I will keep in mind that it might just be an undersized breaker. I would rather error on that side of the equation.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 10-30-2013

I had this fusible link go out on one of my Fasco toekick heaters as well. In my research I discovered this is a thermal fuse. It is designed to protect the heater from an overheat condition. The circuit breaker will not protect the appliance properly. I pried apart the mounting bracket and unwrapped the fuse and it is marked to blow at 169 degrees Celsius. I went to the local HVAC supplier and they can have one for me this afternoon for $2.20, it is rated at 167 degrees but should be fine.

I also discovered that Stelpro brand CH series heaters look to be an exact match for the Fasco toecick units. The thermostat looks to be different but the sheet metal and fan pieces are a match and apparently still available. The heater assembly is an exact replacement dimensionally. While it looks to be discontinued I did find some new ones on Ebay and Amazon.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry