Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-27-2012

Default New Members and (currently) Bird Watchers

I thought I'd take a cue from B.Nyhof and introduce myself. I am Jim Foster, a 20-year active duty Navy officer in the U.S. Navy Security Forces (NSF). I am married to the love of my life, Debbie, and we have two dogs, "Hannah" and "Stanley." Together, we are the Fosterpack.

We have always wanted (but never owned) a motor coach. Originally, we were looking at just getting something inexpensive, but the more I researched, the more I became interested in buses. The more I researched buses, the more I became convinced that a BB was the way to go.

Being on active duty means a lot of time away from home (family), but as I near the possibility of retirement, the reality of a great deal more time to be spent with my family comes into focus. With that, comes the even more burning desire to take the plunge and become a BB owner.

Plans right now are to take the next couple of years to save a little, look a lot, and read even more, so when the time comes to buy, we will be ready. However, should that deal of a lifetime present itself, we may have to act. We are, however, trying to avoid buying on an impulse. Initially, our Bird would be used for weekend getaways to the nearby beach areas, with plans to spread our wings a little further once I am retired.

I am glad I found this site, as everyone here seems to enjoy a great deal of camaraderie, something I rarely see outside of the military and law enforcement. There is also a treasure trove of useful information on this site, particularly for prospective owners. Thanks to all within this group for what you do and for the care and concern you show to other members. With any luck, we will soon be BB owners and may see some of you in the future somewhere in our great nation.

Sincerely,
The Fosterpack
(Jim, Debbie, "Hannah", and "Stanley")
Future BB Owners

Jim's USN Service Details:
http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn...erson&ID=34127
Old 06-27-2012
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the zoo
Old 06-27-2012
Forum owner

Hey now!
Welcome to the zoo,its a fun place to hang out!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-27-2012

Welcome Jim. You are doing it right; read, read, read. You will get to know the guys and some gals; who knows what regarding what. You will get to know the coaches; which have which advantages/disadvantages at it applies to you and your budget, your predicted use, and your mechanic skills/tools/facilities. You will get to know who does brisket, who does cookies, who has publically-viewed cracks, who has patience, who has no patience, who knows something, and who doesn't sometimes but thankfully tries to help anyway. You are right about one thing; camraderie is the key. And the forum's civility police do a great job of keeping the emotions in check and to a low enough level that the group doesn't implode. It is not only an interesting social forum, but a necessary and emmensely worthwhile one for those of us that flat out could not own one without the help of the group. Just a lot of good folks here that I sure appreciate. Again, welcome aboard.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 06-27-2012

Welcome to the Fosterpack. You won't regret a BB decision nor a WOG decision.
Fruita Colorado
Old 06-27-2012
Administrator

This is the place we have a lot of fun
Old 06-27-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Hi Jim and Debbie and the kids yes I believe they are just like kids We actually have a few of our WOG members who are still on active duty that own their 'Birds and a few of them live fulltime in them. One of them in particular chiefburg was stationed just south of you at Port Hueneme, he helped me out a lot a few years ago when I needed some mechanical issues addressed while I was staying at the FamCamp at Point Magu NAS.

We also have quite a few retired military here on the WOG, some of who like myself live fulltime in their 'Birds.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-27-2012

Wow, thanks for all the replies. John, I know the Port Hueneme area well. I was stationed three years at Hueneme and three years at Mugu. Mugu is a great spot. I can hardly wait to be an actual BB owner, but you all have made me feel at home, despite the fact that I am currently without a bus; much appreciated.

And yes, our dogs ARE our kids.

Jim
Future BB Owners

Jim's USN Service Details:
http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn...erson&ID=34127
Old 06-27-2012

Hey Fosterpack:

Best group of folks you've ever seen. We can be "brutal" sometimes and show no mercy, especially when when you get suckered into a loaded question - like a comment on how to "reset your fuel guage", or when Randy fell off a cliff in Alaska and there were some comments about getting a Medi-Alert or "Help me, I've fallen and can't get up". Lot of laughs, fun but mostly a lot of help for "newbies" and veterans alike.

We have a big Rally (RATS) in Pine Mt. Georgia in October - a week long event. Check it out. There are facilities there for folks that don't have a motorhome. If you are able, come and learn about our group and our majestic 'birds.

Good to be able to "pipe you aboard".
Old 06-27-2012

We have always wanted (but never owned) a motor coach. Originally, we were looking at just getting something inexpensive, but the more I researched, the more I became interested in buses. The more I researched buses, the more I became convinced that a BB was the way to go.

However, should that deal of a lifetime present itself, we may have to act. We are, however, trying to avoid buying on an impulse.

Jim,
We could be twins. You are repeating my exact story here. Researched nearly 2 years, found a coach that I could not pass up, didn't have all the funds available, jumped right in anyway, no regrets

I'm sure you will find the right coach for the Fosterpack
"Bordering On Adequate"