Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-26-2014

Default Air Throttle v Additional 4" Air Intake

Just purchased an air cleaner from a GMC Topkick and I'm planning the plumbing. The easiest and probably most effective route would be to add the additional snorkel to the air cleaner and route to the drivers side like John Finns setup. However, I'm assuming that would preclude me from adding an air throttle down the road which would be easier on my right leg. Just wondering if there's a way to have my cake and eat it too. I currently have the large box type filter and I think I read somewhere that the Topkick cleaner will breath better even without the additional intake. I could enlarge the existing 5" intake to 6", but you're still sucking everything through that tiny slit on the passenger side of the radiator. (It's kinda like delivering the entire water supply for New York City through a drinking straw). Anywho, just wondering what others have done and what the collective wisdom might be from the group. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McDowell View Post
Just purchased an air cleaner from a GMC Topkick and I'm planning the plumbing. The easiest and probably most effective route would be to add the additional snorkel to the air cleaner and route to the drivers side like John Finns setup. However, I'm assuming that would preclude me from adding an air throttle down the road which would be easier on my right leg. Just wondering if there's a way to have my cake and eat it too. I currently have the large box type filter and I think I read somewhere that the Topkick cleaner will breath better even without the additional intake. I could enlarge the existing 5" intake to 6", but you're still sucking everything through that tiny slit on the passenger side of the radiator. (It's kinda like delivering the entire water supply for New York City through a drinking straw). Anywho, just wondering what others have done and what the collective wisdom might be from the group. Thanks in advance.
My original throttle cable failed and replaced it with a new one run through a insulated sleeve. After a while it got stiff even with cable lube etc. Path over turbo too hot for cable. Now have air throttle would not even think of giving it up.

A few have installed CAC in forward curbside basement.

Mr. Finn recently upgraded to turbo engine and kept throttle cable (pretty sure)... see how he's doing with it.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-26-2014

I think you will find there is more room with the round filter vs the original for the air throttle.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-26-2014
Gardner

My air throttle is installed on a home made bracket to the left rear of the air cleaner area. Been that way for 4 years. My bracket is attached to the original air cleaner mount, but a bracket can be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle-1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	30337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle-2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	30338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle-3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	30339  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 07-26-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
My original throttle cable failed and replaced it with a new one run through a insulated sleeve. After a while it got stiff even with cable lube etc. Path over turbo too hot for cable. Now have air throttle would not even think of giving it up.

A few have installed CAC in forward curbside basement.

Mr. Finn recently upgraded to turbo engine and kept throttle cable (pretty sure)... see how he's doing with it.

NH Bill
That is correct Bill, I have only used it for about 1600 miles, it is inside of a insulated sleeve and my CAT 3208T has exhaust and turbo blankets too. I also use the throttle pedal wedge modification which took care of the ankle and leg stress problem.

Here is the pedal wedge that I made for the throttle on my FC, it sure helped remedy that problem.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-26-2014

Thanks for the replies. Bill.... When you say CAC are you referring to after cooling? I thought this always involved bumping out the radiator which I'm not wanting to do on my coach. That's serious tweaking, I'm just looking to get as much cool air to the intake manifold as possible without after cooling.
John...how big a difference did the additional 4" intake make? Also, I've read the air throttle threads but I've yet to read where guys did it and successfully kept their cruise control. I've got what I believe to be a King Cruise and it's more important to me to keep the cruise control than to have the benefits of the air throttle. Thanks again, this forum is great.
Old 07-26-2014

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Bill.... When you say CAC are you referring to after cooling? I thought this always involved bumping out the radiator which I'm not wanting to do on my coach. That's serious tweaking, I'm just looking to get as much cool air to the intake manifold as possible without after cooling.
John...how big a difference did the additional 4" intake make? Also, I've read the air throttle threads but I've yet to read where guys did it and successfully kept their cruise control. I've got what I believe to be a King Cruise and it's more important to me to keep the cruise control than to have the benefits of the air throttle. Thanks again, this forum is great.

Jim, I installed both an Air Throttle and the King Cruise. Easy job. A bit of fabbing for the Air Throttle but not that tough. Hooked the Cruise directly to the throttle pedal. Also simple. Money well spent.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-26-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Big difference is not a term that should accompany the word CAT 3208, but it was noticeable, not quite in the same ballpark as my recent upgrade to the CAT 3208T, but it was noticeable, I'm still using the same setup with the new engine.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-27-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Check out this thread regarding intake modifications. I really don't know much about this stuff, but there are some serious mechanics here that do. http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ied+air+intake
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898