Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 06-16-2016

Default Best December road trip?

We are planning a month long trip from the FLA panhandle and would welcome any suggestions on great travel destinations as it is December. Thinking of Dakotas ,Montana and Wyoming but not sure if it would be the right time.
Old 06-16-2016

Those sound like great destinations , but would be risky that time of year . I would stay further south to avoid ice and snow . The mountains in Arkansas and Southern Missouri are nice . Haven't been there yet , but have heard Big Bend Texas is really nice .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 06-16-2016

Key West
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-16-2016

We did Key West last year and it was great! Never been to San Diego
Old 06-16-2016

Is Rout 66 still worth it? I heard a lot has changed over the years.
Old 06-16-2016

Old 66 gets interesting around about Rolla, MO (check out "A slice of Pie"). Heading west, there are some must-do places to visit. Red Rock Canyon, OK, Ann's Chicken Fry in OKC, Palo Duro Canyon, TX and just about everything in NM. Stay at Enchanted Trails RV park in Albeq, NM for at least a week and check out the sights in ABQ- The museum of natural history, museum of Atomic research, etc... Trek on up to Santa Fe and camp at Wal Mart (Just to tick off the snooty folks) and spend a few days checking out the shops in downtown SF. From there, drop down to LasCruces and spend a night or two at La Hacienda RV park. Get the best darned Tex-Mex at Casa La Mesilla. Hit White Sands Missle range and National Park, Pick up I-10 back east and stay up at Cattlemen's in Fabens, TX. From there, trek over to Ft Davis, TX for a few days and visit McDonald observatory. Then head south to the Big Bend area (Marfa, Alpine, etc..) over to San Antonio, Houston, and Johnson Space Center.

That'll take a good month!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-16-2016

Default Cool trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Old 66 gets interesting around about Rolla, MO (check out "A slice of Pie"). Heading west, there are some must-do places to visit. Red Rock Canyon, OK, Ann's Chicken Fry in OKC, Palo Duro Canyon, TX and just about everything in NM. Stay at Enchanted Trails RV park in Albeq, NM for at least a week and check out the sights in ABQ- The museum of natural history, museum of Atomic research, etc... Trek on up to Santa Fe and camp at Wal Mart (Just to tick off the snooty folks) and spend a few days checking out the shops in downtown SF. From there, drop down to LasCruces and spend a night or two at La Hacienda RV park. Get the best darned Tex-Mex at Casa La Mesilla. Hit White Sands Missle range and National Park, Pick up I-10 back east and stay up at Cattlemen's in Fabens, TX. From there, trek over to Ft Davis, TX for a few days and visit McDonald observatory. Then head south to the Big Bend area (Marfa, Alpine, etc..) over to San Antonio, Houston, and Johnson Space Center.

That sounds awesome
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 06-16-2016

Thanks Shane,
Sounds great
Old 06-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
Is Rout 66 still worth it? I heard a lot has changed over the years.
Without question Route 66 has changed. However, it is still the Mother Road I didn't do it in the bus but did on my Harley. Left Joliet, Il and went all the way to the Santa Monica Pier
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-31 22.12.56.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	42937

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-08 19.33.59.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	42938

If you follow the road as close as you can, which can be a challenge but fun on a bike, not so sure about a bus; you will really have fun. There are a lot of the iconic stops and sights still out there. Unfortunately many are gone. You will be able to visit many of the most well known sights, such as Cadillac Ranch, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, The Grand Canyon, and so on, all along the Route. Not to mention all the interesting people you will meet. We ran into tons of people from all over the world that were doing the same thing as we were doing. The Mother Road is famous all over the world and we talked with many people from Europe, England, Australia, Japan. It was amazing and lots of fun. After we did the Mother Road, we then went up the Pacific Coast Highway. That was another amazing ride with lots to see and do not only along the road but on our way back home. About anything you can think of between the Pacific and Indiana, we saw it. We did nearly 8K miles in about a month. It was so much fun I checked it off and put it back on my bucket list to do again. Ride of a lifetime.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post

That is a lot of great information Shane!

I know we have a ton of categories, but has anyone ever thought of organizing threads based on planned trips/routes? So in this case, if I wanted to go to Texas, or Key West, I could search for the area and then read the posts of people that went on that trip.
Herndon, VA