Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 08-01-2018

Thumbs down Florida Warning!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I feel it's only right to warn any of you that might be planning a beach or fishing trip to Florida. Don't do it! We are in a real mess due to the freshwater releases of Lake Okeechobee into our waterways.
Its is devastating our ocean.
All walks of sea life are dying like never before. People going to the hospitals with skin infections from swimming in the ocean. I don't want to see anyone get hurt or have their vacation ruined by this mess. Google "Lake O Releases" and you will see for yourself.

Take care fellow Bluebirders.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-01-2018

Happening on the east coast also. They are still releasing large quantities of dirty polluted water from Lake Okeechobee into the St. Lucie river and have killed all clams, oysters and sea grasses not only in this river, but the Indian River Lagoon.
The health departments have posted warning signs to stay out of the water and the local hospital is surveying everyone who comes in for an illness to complete a river water contact form to track the illnesses as the smell is making people sick.

I have watched Lake Okeechobee, the St. Lucie River and the Indian River Estuary go from being pristine, clear and healthy to a sewer in my lifetime is a disgrace.

We have watched the brown, heavily silt laden polluted waters push as far as 3-4 miles off our coast, killing the coral reefs and devastating our fishing industry. No more clams, oysters, shrimp, a massive drop in quality of fish and fishing as well as higher incidents of Vibriosis as well as Vibrio vulnificus infection which can be deadly.

They have covered what was once a beautiful white sandy bottom river full of marine life into a 2-3 foot deep muck covered foul smelling sewer due to all the polluted runoff via the Kissimmee River from the Orlando/Kissimmee area instead of requiring them to hold this water on site.

The local governments are taking advantage of these events to blame septic tanks as the cause driving for a central sewer system which will drive revenue. If this were the case, the river would be green and polluted all the time, not just after the billions of gallons of dirty water every summer is flushed into it, as a few months after they stop this, the river tries to clean up due to tidal flushing and will start to recover until they do it again.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 08-01-2018

I am very sorry you are experiencing it as well over there. It's a total disgrace. We have Large sea turtles, manatees, whales, large tuna, schools of smaller fish, bottle nosed dolphin, etc. It's heartwrenching as well as extremely smelly as they all start to decay in the blistering sun. We are now tasked with what to do with all of these large decaying sea animals. We had a town meeting and it fulled in 20 minutes.
They told us they have no choice but to continue to release this **** into our rivers and ocean. This is insane! If this were an oil tanker off the coast that lost it's oil, someone would be answering heavily for this and it would be cleaned up ASAP.
So far, no one is taking the blame and no clean up is taking place. The Army Corp will continue to release this ****.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-01-2018

This water needs to be sent back through the Everglades where it can be filtered and then into the upper keys as they have been impacted also as this was the natural flow route.

If a private business ever did this, the EPA and every government agency known would be all over them.

They have talked about correcting this for decades and that's all it ever is, talk.

We have manatees dying, fish kills and even exotic fresh water armored catfish floating to the surface. With the summer heat exploding the algae bloom, it is only getting worse.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 08-01-2018

Yes, the Army Corp built the dike around the lake to protect from flooding, but this move then allowed developers to build roads and such all over the everglades, cutting off the natural sheet flow of Lake O. Everyone wants to blame Big Sugar but the problem is bigger than just them. There is a lot of agriculture and golf courses that have fertilizer run off in the lake too.
They will never remove the dike, but perhaps they can cut a new waterway on the south side of the lake, where the corp can release the water into and it can be directed to the everglades as it should have been long ago. They still need to regulate the massive amounts of fertilizer that is running off into the system or we will be having these same problems in our everglades.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-01-2018
Forum owner

Thats for the onfo,i had no idea this was happening.
But,lets not let this go political,ok guys and gals?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-01-2018

Thank you Dana and Barry for telling us of this dire problem. As a northerner who enjoys vacationing in Fl and a Reef Hobbyist, something has to be done quickly. Unfortunately everyone blames the other and nothing tends to get done. The tourist industry has to get involved if they aren't already.

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 08-01-2018

Just back from a two week trip to Palm City and Odessa Fl
Went to Bath Tub Beach and Jensen Beaches
Bath Tub was not great you could smell the fowlness in the air, old timers were saying Red Tide but I’m not to sure of that, I’m a Nativo, but I never smelled this before, too bad Bath Tub has a reef you can get to from shore for snorkeling
Jensen Beach was OK
West coast went to Fred Howard Park in Tarpon water was ok but messy after storms, Clearwater Beach was good but as usual crowded with humans
The west coast north of the lake appears to be less affected, the first rule in plumbing ******* flows south, so stay north of the lake.

We read reports that Lake O was 90% covered with algae. We were on the North end for a day water was clearing in that area. Big Sugar has always been an easy target, but their South of the lake mostly so haw did the pollute the lake? ******* flows south. Can you say Citrus? I just love all the incredible emerald green ponds and lakes in Orange country. Golf Courses everywhere, to the eye they are beautiful, to the environment they are some of the most polluted dirt on the planet.

I was a Marine Biology major in Miami in 75
S. Fla. Was toast then
Not much better now
Miami Beach would dump raw sewage 1 1/2 miles off shore easy to find it on a calm day there was an upwelling on the surface and anything you flushed would rise to the surface.
We used to joke about the water in Biscayne Bay we called it Biscayne Brown from all The runoff
S Fla. was magical once but were too far from that now, I’m not a radical ecologist, but that’s what it will take to fix their environment. That and people, too many people, lots and lots and lots of people = garbage.
My niece was with us on this trip, she’s from the Netherlands
South on 95 near Jupiter and general area she said oh look Florida was hills. It was sad to explain the they were garbage dumps, all she could say was wow so many

I could ramble on and on but it’s really simple

Mother Nature will fix it one day and when she does it won’t be pretty from the human point of veiw

If your stuck in a hole.

Stop digging!!!!

JMO
Old 08-01-2018

I just spent the last four days on Boca Grande, Fri-Mon, dead fish everywhere, So sad. Large Jew Fish, Manatees, Sharks, ect, all floating. Thousands upon thousands of small fish, dead, everywhere. It is a mess.
2002 Country Coach (SOB)
94 BMC 37 - Sold 2017
86 Prevost -40 (Royal) Sold
1970 National 36 - Sold
98 Jeep TJ
Old 08-01-2018

I just wonder how far off the coast is affected. This should be considered a disaster of nature.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com