Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-29-2009
Gardner

Default dual height leveling system

In a previous thread I talked about the ability to raise the coach up higher while setting the leveling jacks to enable putting larger pads under them for support on soft ground. Also there are times when the jacks hit the ground before getting fully rotated.

I came up with a simple and cost effective mount that will allow two heights, one for travel and one for setting up in a campground. It is only a prototype using available hardware, but I think it will solve my problem.

The original mount is a rectangular plate attached to a crossmember. The valve mounts on the plate. There is very little force generated by the valve on the mount, so the mount doesn't have to be overbuilt. I substituted a 6" hinge as the mount wiht a verticle tab welded onto it to mount the valve. I added a pneumatic cylinder which when extended will rotate the mount and lower the valve. Lowering the valve will result in the valve arm rotating above the center point, fooling it into believeing the coach is too low. The valve will allow air to enter the suspension until it again reaches the center position.

I planned to allow the coach to rise 2" for starters, but it cahn be adjusted by repositioning the pneumatic cylinder higher or lower.

Here is a picture. Total cost around $16. I will need to purchase a valve and airline to complete the installation, but that should not be too expensive. Well, I will need flexable hoses to connect the leveling valve to the copper air lines to allow movement, but hopefully that will do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prototype leveling modification.pdf (611.5 KB, 317 views)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 08-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2009
Forum owner

interesting!
keep us informed!
and be very carefull under that bus!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-29-2009
Senior

Why not make it even simpler and put a T in the output of each levelling valve and then run 1/4" plastic line to the front of the coach along with a pressure line from your tank and install small valves for each leveller so you can raise each one to any height you want without effecting the height control valve. In other words a manual height system.
6V92
Old 08-30-2009
davidmbrady

Tom,

That was kinda my suggestion too; while Gardner's solution is novel, I have an aversion to moving parts, and Gardner still has the problem of electric or air piloting of his cylinder:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...8056#post28056
Old 08-30-2009

I think Gardner is considering that the valve and rod do not have unlimited movement. Is there 2 extra inches of movement available in the stock configuration? In other words, can you inflate the bag to max height without damaging the ride height valve or the rod as they are currently set up? Gardner, your idea would require some type of fail safe to return it to the stock ride height like a heavy spring should a control failure occur.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-30-2009
Forum owner

Tom,if another air line was added like Tom suggests,wouldnt the HCV just bleed off the extra air?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-30-2009
Gardner

Tom,
If I raise the coach by pressurizing the output side of the valve, when the coach rises the valve will open and release the pressure. I would have to place a valve on the exhaust port to block it or use a three-way valve to lock out the leveling system completely.. The only drawback is I would need a way to prevent over-inflating the bags.
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 08-30-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2009
Gardner

Crit,
I did plan on a secondary spring, I just haven't found the right one yet. The ride-height valve has a slip clutch so you can rotate the arm as far as you like beyond the extremes of valve movement.
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 08-30-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2009

Garner, Why not just mount your air piston as part of the level rod its self? The piston would then act to make the rod longer or shorter as needed. Would the piston be to heavy?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-30-2009

Default dual height leveling system

Gardner

As Tom Warner has suggested, but even an improvement on that, take a look and see if you can find the air levelling system. I know a lot of bus owners use this system for levelling.