Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2009

Default M380 bug film

I have the factory installed 3M type film on the front of the coach, and until a few months ago it was OK. It now is looking bad with what appears to be dirty scratches and blemish's all over. Some blisters on the light lenses. I looked at another couple of 380's at Parliament and they have the same cosmetic issue. Talked to Parliament and they know of no good way to remove. They suggest a repaint of the front of the coach!! Does anyone know of a process to remove? or any other solutions
George Kempsell
gpirkempsell@gmail.com

George Kempsell
Palm Harbor FL
2004 M380 "Flying Scotsman"
Old 11-12-2009

you can try a heat gun but you still have to remove the remaining glue unfortunately strip and repaint is the best answer
3m was the worst stuff ever invented for the rv market

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-12-2009

George, I've got the same problem and it has really begun to look bad over the last couple of months. As I understand, it is a very slow process to take off, using a heat gun and removing just a small amount at a time. You have to be careful not to pull paint off while removing the film. You still may need to paint even after hours of film removal.

I plan to have mine taken off and repainted but I'm not in a big hurry. It looks bad but doesn't have any other implications to performance. Let us know what you decide to do.

Doug Ralston
'03 M-380
Roswell, GA
Old 11-12-2009

Default m380 bug film

thanks for the input, looks like I will have to wait until I need some front end body work and repaint( hopefully never)
Regards George Kempsell

George Kempsell
Palm Harbor FL
2004 M380 "Flying Scotsman"
Old 11-13-2009

Google search:
Q: How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film removed?
A: If desired, film can be removed at any time by picking up a corner of the film and used pulling the film off the vehicle surface at a 90-degree angle. If the film has been present a long time, or if the film and vehicle are cold, a heat gun or hair dryer may be to soften the adhesive, allowing easier removal. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6xe...eature=related

There are a number of other YouTube videos on the 3M film.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 11-13-2009

The Heat Gun does work well. I just tried it on a corner of my coach. The film is VERY,VERY thin. So go easy on the heat or it will almost melt. The film comes off but does leave a layer of the adhesive. You will need a solvent to remove the glue. I haven't tried the 3-M adhesive remover, but it's worth a try.

Old 11-13-2009

It's interesting the bus films are cracking. We've got the 3M film on 2 motorcycles and a truck. It works great and hasn't shown any signs of cracking. You might try a little alcohol on a q-tip and rub it on a crack. It softens the film to get rid of scratches. Maybe it would help here.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-13-2009

We are at Suncoast RV iin Calera AL and they just brought a Wanderloge back to the RV parking area that had the front end redone (no exterior damage, just the film problem). The plastic film was blackening, cracking, etc. I talked with the guy who removed the film and repainted it. He didn't say how he removed it but said when he did it took off most of the paint. He had taken a picture before beginning to make sure to get the decorative stripes in the right place, and I'll have to admit he did a beautiful job. For reference, he indicated the cost was around 4000.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 11-23-2009

We saw this type of film being removed at Lazydays and they used a Shark Steamer (I think they use it for upholstery cleaning). It did NOT need to be repainted. This was a Monaco coach. He was using a plastic blade of some type to remove the film in small pieces. Sorry, I didn't ask what it was. He did recommend using the 303 uv protectant every 30 days, as recommended by 3M, to slow down the deterioation of the film.
Missouri
Old 08-19-2012

I have begun the process of removing the film from the front of my coach. Using vinyl off to soften the film, lots of time and effort with a plastic razor blade (50 so far) they get dull quick. Using 3m adhesive remover with another plastic razor blade to gather up the glue and it cleans up like new. a couple of small paint chips but nothing notable.
2001 LX ME 40
2003 Lexus SC 430
2008 F450 Super Duty
2011 Silverado 1500