Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-07-2010

Default PT Ride height question

Hi guys!

A few months back I lost an air bag while on the road - the driver side front drive axle bag to be specific. I got it renewed at a local shop but then noted that the height was lower by about 1" or so. I have now had all the bags replaced but after this the coach was still about 1 1/4 inch lower measured at the Driver side drive axle.

Looked to adjust the rod to raise the height but found the rod to be of the fixed length type.
Bugger.
But I found that when I disconnected the lower end of the rod and then lifted the rod (and valve lever) a bit by hand, the height came up when I cycled the suspension. So.....next...

I lengthened the rod by about 1/2 inch (welded in a long nut and a piece of threaded rod - so its now adjustable) - and this got me close - but it now looks like I can't get it up any higher even if i adjust it even more - i.e. the height at the DS drive axle is still 3/8 low, and it doesn't want to go any higher.

What do you think? Does it sound like I need a new height control valve or am I missing something else here.....?

FYI ride height to the underside of the arch-guard is 42 1/8 on the Passenger side and 41 3/4 on the driver side.

Thanks!
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 02-07-2010
Gardner

Rob,
I am not PT experienced, but on the FC, the front has only one valve, which adjusts the front height. The rear has two valves which control the rear height and the right/left side height. So if the bus is leaning to one side or the other, and all the bags are OK, the rear adjustments are used to level it right to left.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-07-2010
Administrator

If you are working in the rear, Adjust the opposite rear
Old 02-07-2010
Forum owner

If the panhard bar bushings are worn out it affects the ride height,from side to side.
Thats what I would be checking first.
I hate chasing my tail.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-07-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes and Suspensions > Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
REAR SUSPENSION PANHARD ROD BOLT FAILURE WARNING AND REPAIR
A link to a photographic description of the warning and repair of the rear panhard rod failure on 'Birds. the failure warning article is by Jeff Miller

Be sure to click on NEXT at the right of each page for more information.

Be sure to also check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes and Suspensions > FRONT PANHARD BAR REBUILD

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-08-2010

Thanks for the responses guys - I will check those bushings out - sounds right though.....

Can I ask if anyone has replaced these....is it a "Driveway Doable" job or do I need to taker to a shop? Any pitfalls? Tips?

Thanks again...
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 02-08-2010
Forum owner

I have changed many of them,take the bar out and take it to a truck parts house,buy the bushings and get them pressed in,its easy to remove them in a pit,not so easy on a creeper.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-26-2010

Just for closure....
I did the Panhard rod - the rubber bushings were pretty worn out but that didn't fix the height issue. Anyways the solution became clear.....last weekend the "low" side of the bus would not air up at all. Checked and indeed the Height control valve was goosed. Bought 2 on ebay for $35 each and installed them . The problem go away! In fact we had to reshorten the rod I had lengthened to get it all level.
Guess I should have changed out the valve the first time but I was thinking they either worked or didn't - working partially had me fooled....Oh well...
Thanks for the help.
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 05-26-2010
Gardner

Rob,
The last time one failed on me I took it apart (after replacing with new). Inside there was a bar about an inch long screwed to a shaft in the center. One end pushes the fill schrader and the other pushes the release schrader valve. (just like in your tire valves). The center screw had come loose and this resulted in a 'dead zone'. They are not worth trying to fix, they have a viscous silicone or something grease and some other plastic like mechanical slides that create the delay. I wouldn't have any idea how to determine if things were worn or not.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey