Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-10-2010
Forum Moderator

Default Front Door I nner Panel Removal

I was wondering if anyone has removed the inside panel on the entrance door? I've done it on my 94 and it was fairly easy due to the obvious screws. My 99 doesn't appear to have any obvious screws. It looks like the inner window bezel/frame and of course the deadbolt will have to be removed but other than that I cannot find any fastners holding the panel to the door. I want to gain access to some broken wires behind the panel.
Old 03-10-2010

Rob,

I haven't had the inner panel off our '99LXi but it appears that there may be standard automotive panel clips holding it. BB used these extensively for upholstered panels including ceiling panels. They often refer to them as "Christmas Tree" clips due to the appearance.

The panel held in place with these clips would be removed using a standard removal tool like this.
Old 03-10-2010
Forum Moderator

Thank you Rich. I thought it might have been the Christmas trees but was sorta hoping to be wrong. I've never had any luck reusing them. Of course you could remove the old ones and insert new ones using the 'cut the slot' method
Old 03-10-2010

Rob, just an FYI, with more and more of the "Christmas Trees" being used I have seen replacements at common automotive stores like Napa, Pep Boys, Kragens and automotive dealerships, etc.

As an example, I just bought some at a Jeep dealership for my Jeep.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-10-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Rob, just an FYI, with more and more of the "Christmas Trees" being used I have seen replacements at common automotive stores like Napa, Pep Boys, Kragens and automotive dealerships, etc.

As an example, I just bought some at a Jeep dealership for my Jeep.
Thanks Brad. I've seen them from time to time. I just wish there was a replacement tree and tool that would put new ones back into the original hole. The only alternative that I know of is to cut a slot to insert a new one
Old 03-10-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Thanks Brad. I've seen them from time to time. I just wish there was a replacement tree and tool that would put new ones back into the original hole. The only alternative that I know of is to cut a slot to insert a new one
Rob,

Most of the time the old ones are reusable if you're carefull and don't destroy them when removing. Further, I would think there is a way to reinstall the new ones. surely, BB didn't put them in before covering the panel with ultraleather??
Old 03-10-2010

Rob et al,

If you cut the top of the tree (the button that goes on the other side of the panel) with a simple slit from the edge in towards the post, you can often twist them in place.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-10-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Rob et al,

If you cut the top of the tree (the button that goes on the other side of the panel) with a simple slit from the edge in towards the post, you can often twist them in place.
Thank you John... I think. Feeling a little 'duh' here but thankful never-the-less.
Old 03-10-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Rob et al,

John,

That's smart thinking,

Chuck
Old 03-10-2010

I've done a bunch of interior work over the years. I really hate cutting up something that's relatively "non-replaceable", such as a door panel. While there are sometimes you have to keyhole a panel to replace a push stud, it's going to be my last resort. I'll even take the time to straighten out the fins on the stud to see if will still hold adequately one more time before cutting the panel.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support