Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-06-2010

Default Engine Alarm intermittant

It's a rainy day in Northern Vermont. Finally getting some time to catch up on the Wanderlodge group!

Thursday I had to move the Bluebird off our campsite so the park owner could level up the site a little. So, now I have a new issue, when the engine started the Engine Alarm light and buzzer came on. Got my attention! I shut it off, crawled around under, opened the dog house, checked oil. Everything looked fine. I started it up again (started fine, sounds fine) and no alarm. Let it air up then retracted the levelers, the alarm started again. Oil pressure OK, Volts OK, engine temp still low. I released the emergency brake and put it into gear, the alarm stopped. Slowly rolled it out of the campsite, the alarm went on. Stopped and backed up the campsite road to another site, when I braked the alarm stopped. When I started forward it started again. This went on while I parked it at the other site, and again after work when I drove it back to our site (we can now level the RV with the levelers, before even with the front fully up and the back air bags dumped it wasn't level). The alarm is on probably 80% of the time with it changing at different times, with the only consistent trigger that there is some change in motion (braking, putting it into gear, hitting a bump).

My guess is I have a short. I really hope it isn't something seriously wrong with the engine.

First question, what should I do to have some reasonable certainty that I don't have something terrible happening to the engine?

Second question. Where should I start looking to troubleshoot that circuit?

Third question. How hard is it to get to that buzzer and shut it off?

Thanks in Advance!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 06-06-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Craig,

Did you check the coolant level? There is a sensor for that too.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-06-2010

Bill,

I did notice that the overflow tank was empty, but because we were not level I didn't make much of it.

I know where the filler is, how does one tell whether there is enough fluid in the system? Also, is there any special consideration as to what kind of antifreeze to add? This is my first diesel, and I don't want to make any more foolish mistakes than necessary.

Going outside now to get the blue box and read up on the coolant system....
clyndes@gmail.com
Old 06-06-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
Bill,

I did notice that the overflow tank was empty, but because we were not level I didn't make much of it.

I know where the filler is, how does one tell whether there is enough fluid in the system? Also, is there any special consideration as to what kind of antifreeze to add? This is my first diesel, and I don't want to make any more foolish mistakes than necessary.

Going outside now to get the blue box and read up on the coolant system....
Craig you should be able to drain a little coolant out of the bottom petcock on the radiator. This may tell you what kind you have by it's colour. If for some reason you cannot determine what type of coolant I would just fill the overflow tank to it's proper level with DISTILLED water. This may dilute the total coolant somewhat but that can easily be corrected later. It beats the risk of putting something incompatible into your system.
Old 06-06-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Graig,

The filler is in front center just below the windshields. I keep my level 1 to to 2 inches from the top.

Yes it very much matters what is in there. Typically in our vintage it is the diesel rated green ethylene glycol ( green stuff) but this may not be so if yours was changed to some other type and you need to know before you mix anything else in there.

If its just down a little you may want to top it off with distilled water to see if this was setting off your alarm. Then you determine what is there and then test it to make sure it has the correct properties.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-06-2010

That happened to me once. The levelers were down. Once I retracted them the noise stopped.( and it was the engine alarm)
Old 06-06-2010

By checking the fluid levels and monitoring sounds and guages you have sort of double checked the alarm. It sounds like a sensor or wiring problem, especially since it sounded right at engine start up and goes off at various times.

We are fortunate with the older coaches that there is not much wiring on the CAT. Check your wires carefully for problems...my vote would be abraded insulation on a wire running to a engine sensor.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-06-2010

I have the same problem, it seems it is in the wiring running over the valley from under the alternator, I get intermitant alarm and when I cleaned the valley last I must of moved the long or short and the problem stopped.
Carvel AB Canada
Old 06-06-2010

Now mine is a PT but I had the same problem last week.
The alarm would come on and go off while driving.
After opening the lid, I noticed the wire going to the probe on the top of the tank was hanging by one strand.
Took wire off, put a new end on it, reconnected it and alarm hasn't been on once!!
Old 06-11-2010

Default Postmortem

Folks,

The engine alarm is silenced. Thanks to the folks here who knew that a lack of coolant could cause it to sound! I opened the filler and could see to the bottom of the tank at the top of the radiator. It had green antifreeze in it, so I think I got the right stuff.

I went to Advance and asked for Green for a diesel, they didn't have anything specifically labeled for diesel, so I think they sold me the most expensive stuff! Anyway, it took a gallon of antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water.

I think that Lucie's grandson (5 yrs old loves to "drive" the bluebird) had switched the Winter/Summer switch to Winter (I had never done that) which could explain the sudden need for more coolant. I can't see any signs of it leaking, but will keep a close eye when we next travel.

Today was the last day of school!!!! (Yay! I work at 3 schools.) Now I hope life will lighten up a little. Between the end of school and Americade (motorcycle rally) I decided to cut myself a little slack and not go to Tom's rally. Now that I'm seeing the pictures I wish I'd made the effort. Looks like a lot of fun.

Maybe another year!
clyndes@gmail.com