Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-10-2011

So the reason for the delay in mounting the ISX in the chassis, is because we are waiting on the EGR System "block-off kit" to arrive.
It will be much easier to do this mod BEFORE the engine goes in....... it's pretty tight to do anything in there once it's in.

This kit will allow us to remove the EGR Valve & EGR Cooler, and blocks off all the holes in the exhaust manifold and engine block/coolant left by the missing parts.

Below is an outline of what is coming off. The EGR cooler is a heat exhange chamber that has engine coolant running through it, and it cools the exhaust gasses (from 1300/degrees to 300/degrees) before returing it to the intake again. And the EGR valve controls how much and when the exhaust is sent back to the intake.
Having raw diesel exhaust going back into your engine and through your turbo is not a good thing, and is a real nightmare on these engines. It plugs up the turbo's and the intake system with soot and causes premature failure and robs the engine of power.

Once the above mod is done, the engine CAN be mounted, but the engine won’t run until I have the "emissions system" deleted from the Engine's computer.
There are a gazillion emissions related sensors that the computer would be looking for, including a DPF muffler (diesel particulate filter), which I am also not running..... (remember, im going straight pipe)
With these mods, I am told to expect a 2MPG increase, and a better faster spooling engine.

And before anyone gets all twisted over this........ I can legally do this to my coach, so dont even go there......
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
David,

I don't believe there has been one person on WOG who hasn't enjoyed watching you spend your money! Keep us posted on the continued updates!
Congratulations, since you already own the new engine and it is being installed ,
what smoking speed toy can we buy with the new money.
Old 10-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Congratulations, since you already own the new engine and it is being installed ,
what smoking speed toy can we buy with the new money.
ya right.... the money needs to go right back into the coach!!
This is still a "budget" minded build.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2011

Getting rid of the EGRC (cooler) is usually a great thing. Like many (re:all) of the early emissions equipment our cars got in the early to mid 70's, the EGRC is prone to major issues. Five years from now it will be a MUCH better system and may actually help the engine, rather than hurt it.

While 2000 miles on a new motor doesn't even begin to get it right, did you happen to check mileage with the cat? Curious to see what the isx will do in comparison early on.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Getting rid of the EGRC (cooler) is usually a great thing. Like many (re:all) of the early emissions equipment our cars got in the early to mid 70's, the EGRC is prone to major issues. Five years from now it will be a MUCH better system and may actually help the engine, rather than hurt it.

While 2000 miles on a new motor doesn't even begin to get it right, did you happen to check mileage with the cat? Curious to see what the isx will do in comparison early on.

When I drove the CAT home, it pretty much took 1 full tank to make the trip, (about 200 gallons) and the trip was aprox 1300 miles.
2 weeks ago when I went back down to Missouri, it took about a full tank again, so 200 gallons for 1300 miles.

BUT, both ways I was speeding for a good part of the drive. And this CAT had the DPF exhaust/filter, so it was dumping raw diesel fuel into the muffler every so many miles to burn off soot..

I am not too sure what to expect, I am going from a 12L 410hp engine to a 15L 600HP engine, but i wont have all that wasted fuel being dumped into my exhaust system.........

I wont be able to compare an Emissions ISX to a deleted version, but I'll be able to see how far I go on 1 tank, when I bring it home and judge it that way.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-10-2011

That's okay, just interested to see what the difference will turn out to be. I didn't figure you were going to drive it any different, so I was leaving that out of the equation!! You certainly weren't changing for fuel mileage!! I understand how the right foot just needs more excitement routinely.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-19-2011

Working on mounting the Alternators. I asked Mike to mount it on the left side of the ISX since there is a crankcase breather on the other side in the same spot where they were mounted on the C13..

where it was...

Where I want it..

you can see the Crank case breather/filter is on the side of the engine, that would be covered up if the Alternators go there.

Lets see what he comes up with in the next couple days
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-19-2011
Skidder

David:

As I was looking at this colossal ISX-600 engine, a name for your motorhome came across my mind,...-"The Red Baron".

Wannabee
Old 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
David:

As I was looking at this colossal ISX-600 engine, a name for your motorhome came across my mind,...-"The Red Baron".
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-19-2011

If you can try to get 90 degrees of wrap on the proposed lower alternator pulley.

Susan and Dean Toensing
Boerne, Texas
210-842-1967
1989 40'PTWB "Tara Farm"