Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-31-2010

Default Stumped In Removing Cabinets Above Toe-Kick Heater

It's supposed to get down to 34 degrees tonight so I thought it was time to try and fix/replace my front toe-kick heater. After figuring out how to turn it on a few weeks ago it started smelling like something was burning (exciting!), and it appeared the heating element was working but not the fan.

I tried to remove it today to see if there was anything I could fix myself, but intend to replace it anyway after reading previous posts about the older units with fine wire heating elements being a potential fire hazard (which probably explains the burning smell).

My problem is that I can't get it out of the space under my kitchen drawers--it won't come out because the cabinet front extends too far down. I read a previous post that explains how the drawer cabinet comes out by removing six screws (three on each side), but I have taken out every screw from the inside left wall of the drawer cabinet, plus all the ones that apparently screw into the right side that originate under the gray carpet-like material in the wall of the cabinets to the right of the one I want to take out.

The drawer cabinet still feels like it is welded in place, and I don't see where any other screws could be holding it in. One thing I am not sure of is if the blank piece above the drawer unit needs to come off or not. It appears to be screwed in from the back and does not seem to be blocking the removal.

The other question I have is whether the two vertical strips of formica covered wood that cover the joint between the cabinet and the unit/wall on either side need to come out, and how to take them off, as I cannot figure out how they are attached unless they are screwed into the unit from the back and will come out with the drawer cabinet when I figure out how to free it.

Any suggestions?

(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 10-31-2010
Forum Moderator

Strange Jim. On my 94 I simply removed the face off the heater with the two screws, one on each side and then I could slide the guts straight out. Strange that they would build a cupboard face that would prevent that.
Old 10-31-2010

Jim: On my 94, the toe heaters are under the front dash cabinet and in the bathroom.

I wonder, if in your case in the drawer component doesn't have screws in the sides that would allow you to slide it out. That's the way I have to get my dash cabinet drawers out.
Old 10-31-2010

Sorry, Jim - I went back and re-read your post - you've already looked for screws in the sides. Should have read it more carefully.
Old 11-01-2010

No problem. There must be some more screws in there somewhere but I can't figure out where. Like Rob said it doesn't make sense that they didn't make the toe-kick 1/2 " higher but from reading previous posts someone else had the same problem with their 93 or 94 model. But they said it only took removing 3 screws on each side to get the drawer cabinet out. I am about ready to fire up the chain saw!
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-01-2010

Jim:

You may have already checked, but perhaps the screws to the drawer cabinet are behind the drawer rails.
Old 11-01-2010

All the cabinets I have seen have screws up high in the rear fastening them to the wall. There should be 2 black screws on the grill, also.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-01-2010
spirit

Default heater ecall

those heaters were the subject of a "recall"...they had the ability tostar on fire...
I got this info from the folks at COACHCRAFT and they replaced mine with the b=newer version that had a thermal shutoff
check with the service manager at CoachCraft in Columbus, Ga.
Ted
Old 11-01-2010

My drawer cabinet does not appear to be attached to the wall, as there is about a six inch gap between the back of the drawer unit and the wall. It's possible that there are screws behind the drawer rails but it doesn't make sense they would put them there when the other screws were not covered up. But I realize that "making sense" was not always part of the production process.

I am going to be in the Hershey area in another week or two and plan on borrowing Shane's battery cable tools, so I will probably ask him to look and see if he has any idea what is keeping the drawer cabinet from coming out. I intend to go ahead and get a new heater unit to replace my older fire-hazard one so I will probably wait to have it in hand before any major tearing-out or before firing up the chainsaw.

Thanks for the ideas. Any others are still welcome.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-01-2010

Jim:

You probably already know this, but if you can get the serial/model number off the old heater and then check the Cadet website it will restate the "recall" and the exact replacement will be listed.

I ordered mine from Cadet and seems they were like $100.00 or so each - come in two colors, black and ivory. Piece of cake to install even for me.