Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-01-2008
Webmaster

Default Fc air intake modifications

Adding a larger or extra air intake to the Caterpillar 3208NA or TA model engines will enhance the performance, here are some ideas

This one is on a 3208TA engine;

Air intake pipe connects to motor

dog house.jpg

Pipe goes through dog house

front bin.jpg

Passenger side front storage bin with air filter

pipe.jpg

Wide shot of air intake pipe

under bumper.jpg

Air intake hole under bumper

This one is on a 3208NA engine and also used on my CAT 3208T engine.

I recently installed a CAT 3208T in my 'Bird and used the same twin 4 inch air cleaner as I used before, it just required a notch be taken out of the doghouse bracing to get it to clear due to the increase in height of the turbo intake manifold.

Some people have just enlarged the single intake up to a 6 inch diameter to help increase the air flow. There have also been air intake hoses routed down the back side of the engine and then further routed up to the front bumper area. Keep in mind that the cooler the intake air source is the better, as when the air is cooler it is denser and just the exposure of the tubing, or hoses used for the air intake to the engines heat will reduce the effect of the additional air intake somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOGHOUSE FRAME TRIMED.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	33176  

Last edited by iamflagman; 12-24-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2008

thanks for your help, it has given me some more ideas.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 08-17-2009

Randy, on Bruce's coach, did you use a thin wall or thick wall pipe for the intake? Also, 6 inches is the proper diameter? I want to order tubing. Thanks
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-17-2009
Forum owner

thin walled 5'' aluim pipe.
steel pipe will work fine,we just happened to have aluim in stock.
I think using exhaust tubing will be the best bet,you will need some elbows to make the turn from the engine through the side of the Cat house.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-17-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

One thing I'm confused about is the design on the 3208 FC Air Filter. I has fins on it to swirl the air but the air has to make a 90 degree turn to pass through the filter so not sure what benefit the swirl does? Looking down from the top is sure seems to create a lot of restriction in my opinion? Has anyone modified this and removed the fins with any noticable change?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Filter.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2634  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-17-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
thin walled 5'' aluim pipe.
steel pipe will work fine,we just happened to have aluim in stock.
I think using exhaust tubing will be the best bet,you will need some elbows to make the turn from the engine through the side of the Cat house.
On mine ADDITIONAL 4 INCH FRESH AIR DUCT.FOR CAT 3208 NA ENGINE I used aluminum pipe and rubber elbows that I purchased from;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Links > Air Flow Systems Inc

Here are some 5" products, if this not what you need look through their online catalog.
5" aluminum tubing
http://store.airflo.com/al5.html

5" rubber Elbow
http://store.airflo.com/90hl5.html

This makes for an easier to remove system in my opinion and hardly any welding, the hose clamps were purchased at Lowe's. I left one elbow on each side unclamped but with the tubing installed far enough up inside so that any movement of the engine would allow that tube to move some in and out of the elbow if needed, I have used this setup for over 5 years with no problems.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-17-2009

Thanks Randy and John, great resource. That online store has a filter housing rated at 625cfm, is that big enough? Just doesn't sound that big. I would hate to see those rubber elbows collapse under full throttle if the air filter wasn't big enough.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
One thing I'm confused about is the design on the 3208 FC Air Filter. I has fins on it to swirl the air but the air has to make a 90 degree turn to pass through the filter so not sure what benefit the swirl does?
Had one similar on a dune buggy. The idea was that the swirl of air would throw the larger dirt bits out of the air stream and keep the air filter cleaner longer.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Any problems with rain getting in on the paper filter? I'm going to start this weekend working on this same type set-up. I've been trying to figure out how to improve the stock intake on my "heavy breather" as I'm sure there is more HP to be found in a set-up like yours. Figure I'll stack some K&N filters to get what ever CFM I need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 022.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	755.8 KB
ID:	2637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 028.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	714.1 KB
ID:	2638  
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 08-17-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Thanks Randy and John, great resource. That online store has a filter housing rated at 625cfm, is that big enough? Just doesn't sound that big. I would hate to see those rubber elbows collapse under full throttle if the air filter wasn't big enough.
Critt, While mine is a NA engine and uses the stock filter, I did make sure that I cut the aluminum tubing long enough so that it fits well up into the rubber elbows almost into the bend itself, I had to use WD-40 to lube the inside of the elbow in order to get it in there that far, as it is a snug fit, plus I had to trim some of the elbow away in order to make the very sharp turn on the right side in the very limited area, so I doubt if there is enough collapsible area of the elbows to worry about, the additional air intake was the best thing I did for my engine, I have thought about wrapping both them and the air cleaner to keep the engine temperature form raising the temperature of the intake air, but it has only gone as far as a thought at this point.

I use very similar twin 3" aluminum tubes, rubber elbows and plastic cold air intake elbows to create the twin 3 inch air intake on my WABBIT race car and it is wrapped from the point where it comes up from underneath the car and enters the heat of the engine compartment, the theory is colder air/fuel mixture creates more horsepower, as seen in the attachments, you can see that cold air is my friend and a cheap way to gain a little horsepower.

Custom made thermo blankets for the CAT 3208NA would be the most effective way to deal with the engine compartment heat, but cost more $$$$
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2639   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	2640  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11