Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds

Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds Other Coaches or anything else you have found for sale that others here might want to know about.

Site Search:

Old 05-06-2018

It's like this, if you don't pull a wrench, sort of in a way, a vintage vehicle is a pipe dream.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 05-06-2018

Mike's got a point. I mean, you can enjoy the music with just your ears. But it's better when you get "in it," even if it's just tapping your foot.

Carmine Pacchino
Ft Myers Beach, FL
'83 PT35
Old 05-06-2018

Got a 79 XV on the lot, it's by far the closest to MINT FC of it's age you will find. However, tires are at the age, front cruise air doesn't blow cold, haven't got to the heaters yet, engine A/C compressor is gone, couple of paint chips, gen set doesn't work.
Non mechanical wannabe working with the checklist, pencil behind the ear will be put off, blind to the rarity of the example.
Same deal with the collector car market, too many unseasoned folks with a lot of want, weak wallet and full of fear.
However, if a seller is strong and reasonable, vehicles change hands in time.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 05-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinley View Post
I will say that as one of those WannaBB's for the last 5/6 months, I've been fortunate to be able to learn from the members of this forum, and have received knowledgeable, personalized advice (thanks to all!) whenever I've needed it. That being said, not all is known from a few pictures and a brief write-up of a coach for sale. One person's idea of 'great condition' or 'recent update' can differ from someone else's, and sometimes additional flaws only revealed later in the discussion/inspection process can change the value of the bus to a potential purchaser. I personally like seeing the flaws listed right alongside the improvements - gives a much better picture of overall condition and allows a buyer to concentrate on birds that have acceptable flaws for the asking price. I've seen the vintage bird buyers checklist and think that a vintage bird sellers checklist would be pretty awesome as well! Finally, not everything is always exactly as it's portrayed to be. Sorry, I'll stop typing now.....
I’ve been in a lot of wannabes shoes. I “over analyzed and became paralyzed.” Check this, check that. want this, want that, missing this, need that. Then, one day, it hit me, “if I don’t make a move here soon, I could end up dead before I ever realize my dream of owning a Blue Bird”. If it’s not a dream or passion, don’t get in. Same, if you’re not mentally prepared to take a big hit financially (anything can happen at anytime). If you’re in, find a Bird that appeals to you (it’s not perfect, but it’s perfect for you). Fix what it needs for it to be functional, and get out there and enjoy life before it past you by. Remember, you can’t take it with you

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2018

Kent: Great Post. When we bought our first Bird I had looked at a bunch but did not find one that I liked. We flew to Ohio and really looked over this 88 FC. I was hesitating and my wife said: If you don't buy this one you will never find one that is up to your standards. We bought it and she was right! Buying the PT was a no brainer. The PO is a friend and this Bird has a great history. It really helps when you buy from a good person. 15 years ago one could pass by a unit as there were always more available. Albeit at much higher prices. But these units are getting older and nice ones are hard to find. "He who hesitates is lost"

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 05-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman9096 View Post
I’ve been in a lot of wannabes shoes. I “over analyzed and became paralyzed.” Check this, check that. want this, want that, missing this, need that. Then, one day, it hit me, “if I don’t make a move here soon, I could end up dead before I ever realize my dream of owning a Blue Bird”. If it’s not a dream or passion, don’t get in. Same, if you’re not mentally prepared to take a big hit financially (anything can happen at anytime). If you’re in, find a Bird that appeals to you (it’s not perfect, but it’s perfect for you). Fix what it needs for it to be functional, and get out there and enjoy life before it past you by. Remember, you can’t take it with you
...and you were even BRAVE ENOUGH to drive to West Virginny to get it! That story always brings a smile to John Heckman's face when we talk about it.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 05-07-2018

Yes the Heckman enjoyed that trip. Like most new purchases there were things wrong. We had battery issues which I was able to sort out well enough.

What we didn't know was there were some safety related issues which could have bitten pretty hard.

These buses which have been sitting and which are not represented by the owners should be taken to a GOOD shop and checked over before driven home.

Its one thing to buy a bus from a owner who uses the bus regularly. ( And you can still have trouble), but buying an unknown is risky.

I forget what Kent found wrong once he got to Florida but the bus wasn't in the condition it was supposed to be in (are they ever) and while I knew enough to tell that the bus was driving and handling within reasonable limits I really did know enough to do a safety inspection.

Guys drive them home on 15 year old tires and most of the time you get away with it but it's not a good idea

You learn from experience and I've learned I would not take that chance the second time. Kent ended up with a real nice coach so it all ended well. I don't take much credit other then I tried.

Another case of not knowing your limitations (on my part). I know better now.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 05-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
It's like this, if you don't pull a wrench, sort of in a way, a vintage vehicle is a pipe dream.
I'm gonna put that quote in a frame on the wall of my coach. A quotable quote.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 05-07-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

At the very best, buying an old 20 plus year old coach is a gamble. It can look good, everything work, which it nver does, but if it does, by the time you get home it will need something. I hate to see some of the less mechanical buy with nothing but dreams.
I have to agree that a ventage bird need a wrench hand near.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 05-07-2018

From my experience all RV's require at least some ability to DIY. Some basic electrical, plumbing and carpentry skills. The difference with a BB is you then add at least the ability to trouble shoot (if not repair) all that goes with the mechanics of a large diesel vehicle.

I've been fortunate. A lot of help from Shane (and others) and a local shop who has bent over backwards to help me.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia