Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will find tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2024
Super Moderator

Very cool. Any videos or pictures of how it helped you see the problem?

The one I posted has an optional extension cable. It helps it work better with a large phone case and it is nice to be able to put it somewhere deep while you look at the screen in front of you.
Old 02-17-2024

It doesn't look like I do, Jim. I've scrolled way back on my phone, and... nothing obvious.

I noticed water pouring out of the garage wall above a window one morning when it was raining. I had been up on the roof prior but since the nail was in a depression between roofing shingle flaps, and was about the same color gray, it wasn't obvious. I then thought that a wet spot in the attic might be cooler, or maybe even warmer than the dry wood surrounding it. Since I know things can migrate from the source, I went up into the garage attic with the FLIR and pointed it at that side of the garage. The cooler wet spot under the shingles was quite obvious on screen, so I guesstimated where that was with respect to the window frame, and went outside to guesstimate where it was at the eve of the garage.

I then went up on the roof and looked around, inline with the locations I marked. I nearly immediately found a roofing nail that had heat cycled its way proud of the shingles, nestled in between a couple of shingle flaps. Those flaps made a nice little funnel for the water to pour right on it, which greatly increased the amount of water squirting at the nail. I pulled the nail, shot the hole with some black RTV into the hole, pressed the nail back into place and covered the head with a bit more RTV. That repair is now a couple of years old and, so far, no signs of return.

I have a Thunderbolt extension cable, which may help, but then, you're needing like 3 hands to handle everything. I'm thinking the wireless version might be the best bet, but they weren't available when I got the one I have. They are great tools no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-20-2024

I tried the Thunderbolt extension cable I have and it worked wonderfully!! Interesting that I could tell where the fiberglass insulation batting was laid in the attic of our great room. I need to finish that project before it gets too hot up there!!

I did get an extender that was just an extension with no cable between the ends. The fit on that thing was so loose that any time I moved, I lost the connection between the camera and my phone. That'll go into the recycle bin now, since it's been made completely redundant!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Now I need a thermal gun. The video of theat molten generator assembly was awesome. I’d say you need an A/C unit and ice cubes just to cool that thing off.
You guys are like my wife; spending money on toys is not acceptable for me...a retired senior living on SSI.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsro View Post
<SNIP>
You guys are like my wife; spending money on toys is not acceptable for me...a retired senior living on SSI.
You misspelled 'tools'!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have used a FLIR one for years with my apple phone when I was working on trucks full time, also great for finding low amp circuit draw at fuse blocks.