Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 05-08-2024
Always Learning

Default 94 WB40 - Oil Reserve

Hello,
New bird guy here again...
I noticed the coach was low on oil today, so I attempted to add oil via the well/reserve and built in pump, but I guess I do not know how to do it. There is oil in the reserve and there is a small switch next to the gauge, but nothing happens. I cranked up the bus and let it air up just in case it needed air to make it happen, still no results.
Any suggestions would help me get the oil from the well / reserve to the engine, would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2024
Forum owner

Did you find the wand and push the lever in?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-08-2024

Cap could be loose?
1988 WBWL #3907
Serial #79235
8v92 DDEC1
Old 05-08-2024
Always Learning

I did find the wand, I pushed the lever in and moved the clock looking dial to different locations, flipped the switch up and tried, flipped the switch down and tried, the cap to the tank is in place and tight.
Should I hear a pump or any sound?
Is this air powered or electric?
Old 05-08-2024
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas@djwoodyard.com View Post
I did find the wand, I pushed the lever in and moved the clock looking dial to different locations, flipped the switch up and tried, flipped the switch down and tried, the cap to the tank is in place and tight.
Should I hear a pump or any sound?
Is this air powered or electric?
Hi Douglas,

You may not get much sound during the actual oil transfer... but you should hear air when pressurizing the Bulk Oil tank and when exhausting air from the Bulk Oil tank.

Air and electric are both involved, but air pressure acting on the surface of the oil in the bulk oil tank is ultimately what forces the oil out of the tank and into the engine.

NOTE: The instructions say to disable the ignition via switches in the engine compartment to prevent inadvertent starting of the engine - that is no doubt good advice and the correct thing to do but be aware that flipping those switches may result in starting problems, if the switches are old or unreliable.

Just in case you don't have them, here are the instructions from the 1994 WB Owner's Manual:

BULK OIL FILL

The bulk oil fill system provides a convenient means of replenishing the oil supply during an oil change and for adding oil between changes. There is no need to use valuable storage space for bottles of oil, etc.

An oil storage tank (with approximate 20 quart capacity) is located at the rear on the right side of the engine compartment. When this is pressurized from the air supply, oil can flow through the nozzle directly into the engine crankcase return oil passage. A meter is provided to measure quantity by means of quart and gallon pointers for each individual fill and a totalizer to show all oil added to date. This is a handy way to keep track of oil consumption, etc.

OPERATION

WARNING

Bulk oil system is under pressure when the red light is illuminated. Do not open the filler cap before making sure the bulk oil switch is turned off (red light off). Open the filler cap slowly to allow any pressure in the tank to bleed off before removing the cap completely.

1. Run engine, if necessary, to build up on board air supply.
2. Shut down engine.

CAUTION

Do not run engine while bulk oil fill is in use. Place engine compartment ignition switch in OFF or REAR to prevent starting from the driver's area.

3. Zero meter pointers.
4. Turn on bulk oil switch.
5. Observe that bulk oil red light is on.
6. Push nozzle tab lock out of the way and depress lever until desired amount of oil is shown by meter pointers.
7. Turn off bulk oil switch.
8. Check oil level.

For what it's worth, I usually just remove the oil fill plug from the valve cover and add the oil the old fashion way.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Like John said,theres nothing wrong with adding oil into the valve cover.
I do not use the bulk oil fill either,i guess if your engine likes to drink oil it could be handy,but lots of us have removed that system.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Black Sheep Division

I used the bulk oil fill on my '95. I buy oil in 55 gal drums. Transfer to 5 gallon buckets. Pour into bulk oil tank. It's just easier for me. I did find that the "metering device" is not any where near accurate.

TOM

1985 PT36 SOLD
1982 PT40 SOLD

Last edited by oldmansax; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:50 PM. Reason: sp
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

I am thinking about following you guys and removing the bulk fill to relocate my air dryer. I tested to see if it works, but never needed to use it as it seems more trouble than it is worth.

I stopped trying to pump or pour these large quantities and just use time and gravity for most of my filling needs. Even though I do it outside it makes much less of a mess and more importantly less effort than using funnels and such if you are willing to wait a few hours.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm a fan of the bulk tank. I keep it full, use during oil changes, and topping up oil.
You'll hear the air filling the tank when flipping switch.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I used the bulk oil fill on my '95. I buy oil in 55 gal drums. Transfer to 5 gallon buckets. Pour into bulk oil tank. It's just easier for me. I did find that the "metering device" is not any where near accurate.

TOM
Definitely no where close to accurate