Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-26-2023

Default 8v92 rear alt belt issue

I just finished replacing the belts on the “bedroom” alternator when another owner informed me of the alternator behind the bumper. I’ll be danged, there was one there and it too needed belts. The one that was on it was in a sad state and the second belt was missing. How do you get the new belt between the frame rail and the center nut of the main pulley??? I tried it right side up, sideways, rightways, leftways, round ways, I even tried standing on my toes with my right pinky pointed up! I removed the York compressor brace that was there in hopes of getting an arm down enough to help twist, push, pull. I coated everything in silicone spray. I don’t think I have ever cussed so much as I have the last two days. I may never buy another coach with an 8v. for what it’s worth, I was told the correct belt was a Napa 25-7425 and that’s what I bought. Is there a more narrow, thinner belt for the 89 model? I can’t imagine having to get two belts on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71209548506__178B783E-9B79-435B-89EA-662AB60ABD85.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	87050  

David & Nicole Stokes and Myla
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'00 LXi 43' SS
'89 WB 40'
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

229-834-8677
Old 07-27-2023
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
I just finished replacing the belts on the “bedroom” alternator when another owner informed me of the alternator behind the bumper. I’ll be danged, there was one there and it too needed belts. The one that was on it was in a sad state and the second belt was missing. How do you get the new belt between the frame rail and the center nut of the main pulley??? I tried it right side up, sideways, rightways, leftways, round ways, I even tried standing on my toes with my right pinky pointed up! I removed the York compressor brace that was there in hopes of getting an arm down enough to help twist, push, pull. I coated everything in silicone spray. I don’t think I have ever cussed so much as I have the last two days. I may never buy another coach with an 8v. for what it’s worth, I was told the correct belt was a Napa 25-7425 and that’s what I bought. Is there a more narrow, thinner belt for the 89 model? I can’t imagine having to get two belts on there.
Hi Dave,

It's a tight fit for sure... I lost the belts on that lower alternator on the way to the WOG Rally a couple of years ago. Coach Craft generously offered to come over to our site and put a new set of belts on with no labor charge but I happily gave an unsolicited tip . I think we ended up with at least 4 or 5 guys trying to figure out how to get the belts past that nut. If I remember correctly, what finally worked was to twist the belt 90 degrees from it's normal configuration so that the notch (between two of the belt teeth) could slide along the lip of the frame rail so that only the thickness of the belt from the bottom of the notch to the top of the belt would be passing between the frame rail and the nut. It still took a lot of pulling and pushing (and maybe a little cussing) to get the belts past the nut. Your thread reminds me that I need to grind the frame rail just enough to make enough room to install the next set of belts more easily, so... I think a little bit of grinding on the frame rail near the nut may be your best option.

A crude sketch to hopefully illustrate what I was trying to say:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belts.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	87052  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-27-2023
Forum owner

One more tip on the "behind the bumper alt".
On the rear frame crossmember theres a round hole,using a long extension and a 3/4 socket you can loosen or tighter the main alt bolt.
Put a rag down on the bumper so the extension does not mar the paint.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-27-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
One more tip on the "behind the bumper alt".
On the rear frame crossmember theres a round hole,using a long extension and a 3/4 socket you can loosen or tighter the main alt bolt.
Put a rag down on the bumper so the extension does not mar the paint.
The hole was pretty easy to find. I gave up on the belts.

Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'00 LXi 43' SS
'89 WB 40'

229-834-8677
Old 07-27-2023

You only need one alternator. If that quits- start the generator
83 PT40
88-concept coach
97- WLWB43
97-Prevost Liberty
Co-founder Wanderlodgeforum.org
Old 07-27-2023

I don't remember how I did those belts, maybe because I had alternator off and did it then
Old 2 Days Ago
Resident Rookie

I am going to repair the bumper soon and while I have it off I will be sure to modify that space so I can get the two belts in there over the pulleys.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds #345,
Old 1 Day Ago

Dave on the bedroom side alternator I found the lower adjusting arm that is bolted with the hydraulic pump bolt had been loose and leaking for years I assume from moving the arm while changing belts. That is a wet hole in the accessory plate .
Old 1 Day Ago

Put a jack and a 4x4 under one side of the engine and give it a few pumps to lessen the pressure on the rubber mounts. That might get you juuuust enough. I mean, it might not work since I don't really know where anything is under there, just an idea.
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Put a jack and a 4x4 under one side of the engine and give it a few pumps to lessen the pressure on the rubber mounts. That might get you juuuust enough. I mean, it might not work since I don't really know where anything is under there, just an idea.
If I ever decide to put belts on that alt. I might just try that. Although, it might be more fun to stab myself with a screwdriver.

Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'00 LXi 43' SS
'89 WB 40'

229-834-8677