Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-07-2014
Geek

Sounds like there was no charging from the engine to the House batteries. Your house batteries dropped during the drive, and the charger went into an extended Bulk at 14.4 or so volts and that was pumped to the engine batteries. I had similar boiling of one battery last year at Q because the bulk charge was lengthy - a new battery solved the problem for now. My house batteries do charge from the engine, so it was strictly a boondocking/generator issue.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Sounds like there was no charging from the engine to the House batteries. Your house batteries dropped during the drive, and the charger went into an extended Bulk at 14.4 or so volts and that was pumped to the engine batteries. I had similar boiling of one battery last year at Q because the bulk charge was lengthy - a new battery solved the problem for now. My house batteries do charge from the engine, so it was strictly a boondocking/generator issue.
Yes Don, I think that is what happened + I really don't know how old those 31D's were. Troubleshooting today turned up one completely DRY cell closest to the coach "+" line and the one next to it was close to dry as well. Those plates were cooked to the point of smoking and lots of water had boiled off from all the cells. Volts for both batts was in low 10's! A quick trip to Interstate with a little "plastic" & I'm now the proud owner of two new 31D's. New ones are SLA's so no worries about watering them and they came with 18 mo full replacement warranty. Engine now cranks more strongly than I thought possible. Still think lithiums is the way to go when my coach AGM's poop out.

PS - LOVE the new straight pipe exhaust. You were right Jim! Hearing the turbo spool up is so very cool and the extra db is hardly noticeable. Full writeup with pics & a short video to come in a couple days.
Old 11-08-2014

Switched over to lithiums 3 months ago and have no regrets. Like'm so much that when it's time to replace our chassis batteries it'll be with lithiums.

I'm going to wait till after Q to give a write up, but ask away and I'll answer any questions I can.
Old 11-08-2014

Hi,

Switched my Group 31 Gen start battery (68 lbs) to a lithium at 5 lbs.
Mounted beside the headlight so great way to drop 80+ lbs from front axle.
SHORAI
LFX36L3-BS12 Lithium Battery 36Ah ,540 CCA
Old 02-04-2015

Default Excellent Long Term Use Lithium Update

To those who've gone lithium or who are contemplating doing so, Chris Dunphy at Technomadia just posted HERE an excellent update/lessons learned from their 3+ years of full-timing with lithiums. I found the decreasing capacity they've experienced to be especially interesting. Perhaps something to be addressed during the install or revisited by those who've upgraded?
Old 02-04-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Good read, glad to see some real life experiences. Being able to run an AC all night on a battery bank is certainly a big step.
Just wait till the ECM technology hits roof airs. We have it in mini splits and it is truly amazing.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 02-04-2015
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Wow Van.. Thanx for the link.

Excellent article for sure and as with any new, untested technology there will be growing pains. For those of us that live in very hot climates (Arizona) there are certainly some other issues to consider. I know in electrical cars (the Volt) batteries here in Arizona have already been replaced via warranties due to the extreme heat the battery's capacities were diminished greatly.

Also seems for those in very cold climates as well due to the charging issues. Although it doesn't hurt them to discharge, charging in freezing temps can cause damage. Another problem area is the lack of a dedicated charging system for these new batteries. Using the traditional 3-stage charging system can also cause damage as the "float" causes issues too it seems.

Interesting report highlights from the article;

1. After 3.5 yrs our batteries seem to be aging way faster than they should – now giving us just 75% of their original rated capacity.
  2. Heat Kills - This means at 91F usable battery life will be cut in half, and presumably to a quarter at 109F. This is VERY substantial - Especially in desert climates!
  3. The final phase of a three stage battery charger is the “float” phase. In an RV – this float voltage also powers all the DC loads present.
    Lithium batteries on the other hand don’t benefit from floating – and in fact evidence is mounting that over time this can actually start to wear on the batteries. For example – an LFP battery is seemingly much happier bouncing between 85%-95% full than being kept pinned at 100% charged.
  4. When we built our battery bank, the Elite EMS for monitoring the individual cells did not support cells in parallel, only in series. So to build a 500Ah bank out of 100Ah cells, groups of five cells are hardwired in parallel and a single sense board monitors each of these four groups in series. This means that we don’t have the granularity to monitor each of the 20 individual cells – so if we have a laggard cell bringing down the whole bank it is very hard to isolate the troublemaker.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-29-2015

Default If you're hot, your Li pack is too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
... For those of us that live in very hot climates (Arizona) there are certainly some other issues to consider. I know in electrical cars (the Volt) batteries here in Arizona have already been replaced via warranties due to the extreme heat the battery's capacities were diminished greatly...

highlights from the article:
  1. After 3.5 yrs our batteries seem to be aging way faster than they should – now giving us just 75% of their original rated capacity.
  2. Heat Kills - This means at 91F usable battery life will be cut in half, and presumably to a quarter at 109F. This is VERY substantial - Especially in desert climates! ...
Lithiums DO NOT LIKE HEAT! Earlier in this thread I mentioned a scooter I converted to Lithiums (Li). It has 16 Li cells that turned the scooter into a silent rocket. Well... I never ride it in the summer here in Phoenix because it's just too hot to do so! But I did ride it early in the morning a couple weeks ago when it was still a "cool" 90 degrees outside. Plugged it in on my return and left it to charge. The garage at the time was still "only 95". Later that day, I came back and checked expecting a typical 100% charge but found the charger had stopped and the 52% charge level was actually less than when I first plugged it in. Most of the individual cell temps at the time were between 108 and 112 .Tried again and it wouldn't even start charging. The next day I brought the scooter inside with AC, cooled everything down and all returned to normal.

Had this been a Li RV battery pack without cooling, I'd of been SOL!

The moral of this story is that those of you who have converted to lithiums need to make sure your battery pack is kept comfortable. If you'd be hot, it will be too. Anything higher than about 90° and you are asking for trouble. Much above 100 and you better have a shore cable ready. Battery manufacturers are now recommending that their Li battery banks be installed inside coaches rather than the typical outside bay with no climate control. Time spent anywhere that is warmer than that value (like Phoenix's scorching summer norms) would favor making some additions such as cooling air ducted from inside your coach into the bay where the batteries are positioned. A thermostat controlled cooling fan and temperature monitoring of the bay with a remote display and alarm might also be good ideas. Worth those precautions? That's for you to decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	37073  
Old 07-29-2015

Cool

Yep that is the reason that I always head for cooler country like the coast of Oregon and Washington or the high country of Montana but then again they don't like cold either so I will see you in Arizona in November Van stay cool
Fort Pierre SD
Old 08-07-2017

Found this on the blog sphere or something.
Kinda nice with lots of pictures and video of putting the batteries from a Nissan Leaf into an RV. Not a small project - really a complete electrical mod from 12V to 48V. Good write up though.
Here are his three articles (two on batteries, one on solar).

1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Last edited by Kiwi3; 08-07-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: We like pictures