Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 05-07-2021

Default Racor 1000FG Losing Prime

91 WB. We've had our bus for 5 years now. We have had a strange phenomenon where it had been losing prime. 3 years ago I noticed air bubbles in the Racor, so I pulled it apart, cleaned all of the junk out, put a new seal kit in, and the prime issues went away.

Flash forward to a month ago, and we had another situation where we lost prime. It was a hard start, but finally got it started. I suspected the Racor again, and witnessed some "infrequent" bubbles from time to time while watching it; not the steady stream as before. Nonetheless, I bought another kit. I also had to replace the water sensor … because I busted it re-installing it (remember … "only 11 inch pounds!!!"). So it sat open for a day while I drove to pick up another one. Rebuilt and primed got her started. However, the next day I went to check on prime, and it was down about an inch inside. I topped it off again with diesel, and it was a little rough starting, but it started. However, just drove it 230 miles. After two days in an RV park, I checked it again this afternoon, and once again, it's down an inch in the primary. I checked the secondary filter, and it was fully primed. I started the engine. It stumbled a bit but started and ran good.

I'm beginning to suspect the check valve in between the line from the tank, just prior to coming into the Racor? Anybody ever have one of these go bad? What about the Racor itself? There's just not much to those unless you break the bowl or the turbine assembly. I'm going to prime it again today and check for more bubbles. We drive back home in another day and will need to check it again there. But i'm a bit baffled at this point.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.
Old 05-08-2021

Probably the line to your gauge. Take that line off and plug it. I bet the gauge or fitting is bad letting air back in and siphoning fuel back to tank.
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Facebook—- Ernie Ekbergs’Flooring
Old 05-08-2021

Had the same exact thing happen. Keep losing prime couldn't figure it out. So I did what Erne suggested to no avail. Was even thinking of replacing the Racor itself. I believe it was Randy who said to replace the line between the Racor and the firewall. It was as dry as a bone on the outside but I did it anyway. Vola it worked. Than for my own curiosity I took the old line and ran both a pressure as well as a vacuum test on it and it failed both.
Good luck, but I'll bet that cures it.
Old 05-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
Had the same exact thing happen. Keep losing prime couldn't figure it out. So I did what Erne suggested to no avail. Was even thinking of replacing the Racor itself. I believe it was Randy who said to replace the line between the Racor and the firewall. It was as dry as a bone on the outside but I did it anyway. Vola it worked. Than for my own curiosity I took the old line and ran both a pressure as well as a vacuum test on it and it failed both.
Where did you plug the line? At the gauge, or at the racor?

And which line are you referring to when you say 'firewall'?

To test the line and gauge, plug here....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racor.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	74876  
Old 05-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
Butch ... 2 questions, and in reference to Mose's photo below: 1) when you say firewall, I usually think the front the bus ... 40' away. Are you referring to that, or a spot at the rear of the engine? 2) you replace the line and fittings referred to in Mose's photo, the total distance?

No problem doing it. Just want to make sure I'm referencing the right line and distances.
Old 05-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
Probably the line to your gauge. Take that line off and plug it. I bet the gauge or fitting is bad letting air back in and siphoning fuel back to tank.
Ernie - are you referring to the water sensor? That's what I'm aware of that runs back to the gauge. The rebuild kit comes with o- rings for that which i replaced. I also replaced the sensor. There are no air bubbles evident at this point.
Old 05-09-2021

It's the metal wall by the batteries in total it's about a 3 ft. run. You should be able to get it made at N.A.P.A. Also if your so minded the ends of the line come apart so that all you really need is a new length of line. I forget what those fittings are called but I'm sure someone out there will chime in with it. Have fun.