Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 05-02-2021

New 9" rims arrived today. Super pretty, and match the 8.25" rims exactly. I'm waiting on some .5" spacers - just incase the brake can is to close on the back side but it looks like it should fit without the spacers. I'll let you know when the tires are mounted. New center trim and lug covers due soon too.

On the Conti Tires, lucky for me we have McGriff Tires here in Dothan, AL which is a Conti Dealer. Should hear on Monday when they can get the set. With the 9" rims I should be able to get the same load capacity with a slightly lower psi (8.25"@120psi = 7610lbs single / 9"@110psi = 7610lbs single) which should make keeping them aired up easier with my onboard compressor.

I'm not using the Conti TPMS. It is a great idea, but I already have TPMS and will continue to use it. The cost between the Conti Coach and the Conti HSR is $10. The built in TPMS can just ride in there.

For those interested, here is the pricing quote I got from FMCA on the Conti Tires:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brave_2021-05-02_08-14-15.png
Views:	50
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	74736  
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 05-08-2021

Something else I wanted to mention.
The tow rings on a widebody are behind the generator slide cover. While it is great that they are there, they are also inset into a C-Channel which made it impossible to put a tow eyelet into them to attach the even larger tow hooks. The tow truck driver did have a tow strap with him that he looped through the tow ring to the tow truck hooks. He was a little worried about that because the strap was only rated for 35,000lbs. It all worked out, but it got me thinking that with the space it might be smart to figure out what to use.

This was the best that I've found so far. The Anaconda from Yakum. Rated at a static 63,000lbs and a minimum breaking load of 131,500lbs it definitely can pull a bird out of any muck you end up in. I'm not ordering one, but some of you off roaders/farmers might like them. I'm still not sure if the shackles would fit into the tow eyes though. That is a really weird design BB went with putting them back in the C-Channel like that.
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 05-08-2021

That's strange, when I got stuck in the mud in my driveway, the tow truck was able to hook up to those eyelets without issue. I honestly don't recall how big his hooks were, but it was what they had on the end of his cable. I know he didn't have to downsize.

That Anaconda must be some good stuff but wow is it pricey.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 05-09-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Something else I wanted to mention.
The tow truck driver did have a tow strap with him
FWIW my most recent tow was from a giant behemoth tow truck they sent that placed a cradle under my front wheels and lifted them during the tow--even though I showed the driver the tow hooks. Once he adjusted the ride height my '93 wallowed it's way to the repair shop just fine.

Also, I've learned to carry an unmounted spare on my roof. It is a LOT lighter and easier to manage without the heavy wheel, and I usually have the tire company forklift the most useable tire up there after new tires are installed.

If I have a flat I just throw/bounce it off the roof (curbside, with a rope attached!). The roadside insurance coverage usually includes free mounting of your own spare, and $110 for roadside mounting of your own matching tire is a lot cheaper than buying a $1,000 off brand tire from some unscrupulous dealers.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Turns out all of my valve stems are toast. Having new ones installed alone with a wheel stud that was broken.
Lesson learned.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
Turns out all of my valve stems are toast. Having new ones installed alone with a wheel stud that was broken. Lesson learned.
FYI & speaking of valve stems... put new tires on my Jeep. Installer recommended rubber stems as opposed to metal ones because metal ones tend to break off with heavy offloading activity. On coach-towed trip up to Dead Horse Ranch SP rally two weeks ago, I had a leak in one of the new Jeep tires. That leak was traced to a bad valve stem. I take the cap style TPMS sensors off before wheeling, and reinstall them after when airing back up. The tire guy said that TPMS cap & flow-thru style sensors put lots of stress on rubber valve stems and he has seen many leaks on them caused by the centrifugal forces that highway speeds generate. Said that if I’m going to use them, metal stems are better and more reliable. Checked the coach when I got back from Discount Tire and all Bird tires have metal stems. May be changing to metal stems on the Jeep if this issue pops up again.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for sharing, I learned a lot from your experience.

For those of you who want to carry a tire on the roof, our PO had a custom wench built that fits on the rear ladder to get our tire on/off the roof. The photos below do not show it on the ladder but I think you can understand how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	703BB7AD-F4E4-4DD7-8482-ACD1EC1F4DA1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	74987   Click image for larger version

Name:	11F53F3F-E5DD-4808-8BFF-9A83D58113DE.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	74988   Click image for larger version

Name:	3F44FE36-C77C-4482-ADEC-2EC9F331A999.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	74989  

Jennifer Scherschel 812-344-5074
Erik Eaton

Bella, the dog

‘98 LXi
We live where it’s parked.
thelandflyers@gmail.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Here is a good video from our friends at TechnoRV who just had a steer blow out as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5QbAu8_9w
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map