Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2021
Retired Member

Default Engine DDEC II

Good evening everybody. I’m here at Scott Crosby’s (Bus Grease Monkey) property, Centerville, Tennessee, and I need a magic decoder. A Diagnostic Data Reader/Scanner, for a 1992 BB Wanderlodge DDEC. Any suggestions?

FMCA-456176
Old 03-30-2021
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rivera View Post
Good evening everybody. I’m here at Scott Crosby’s (Bus Grease Monkey) property, Centerville, Tennessee, and I need a magic decoder. A Diagnostic Data Reader/Scanner, for a 1992 BB Wanderlodge DDEC. Any suggestions?
I suppose you've already determined that you need more than the self-diagnostic system provides or you wouldn't be asking about a reader but... just in case, here's how to see the common DDEC II codes:

Turn the key to the "run" position (don't start the engine) - push and hold the "Engine Test" switch and count the two groups of "Check Engine" light flashes to get the 2 digit codes. Write down each two digit code that you see until they start repeating.

List of common DDEC II Codes:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...DEC-2Codes.bmp
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Old 03-30-2021
Retired Member

Good morning John, and thanks for your feedback. Yes we are aware of the process to read the code from the check engine light. At this point we need to do a deeper dive into the system.

FMCA-456176
Old 03-30-2021

Jerry can you give us some idea of what you are looking for? What is not working? I can check if the reader will help.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 04-04-2021

Default Rear ignition toggle switch

The other day I talked to Jerry about the no engine cranking problems. They tried everything to get the engine to crank over and was waiting on a DDEC reader thinking it was the coolant sensor.
I suggested to go back to the engine bay and flip front rear toggle switch a couple times and see if it helps. He tried that and it fired right up! It had nothing to do with the coolant sensor.

The power to the ignition switch and the start signal both go through that switch. Maybe it was bumped or just decided that was the time not to carry the start signal to the starter. I found that sometimes these switches just like to be exercised to clean the contacts.

I hope this helps someone else who does not start. Don't be afraid to exercise that switch when everything else has failed.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 04-14-2021
Resident Rookie

Good thinking, Allen!!
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 05-09-2021

Default DDEC II diagnostic tool

Jerry,

I watched several of the videos on Bus Grease Monkey as Scott worked on your Wanderlodge and another older one. I noticed that Scott was using a diagnostic reader that provided detailed information on the codes from the DDEC system. Do you know what the diagnostic reader is and what it costs?
Old 05-09-2021

I have a Nexiq Pro-link. You can find them on Ebay for a couple hundered $. You will also need a DDEC cartridge and cable.

prolink scanners on ebay

This one looks like a pretty good deal as it also has an ATEC cartridge. But you would need to verify that the ATEC cartridge would work with your transmission model (if even Allison). And since this is a newer model Prolink, likely the DDEC cartridge uses an adapter cable of some sort.

Prolink Graphic ebay link

I can get the actual part numbers off mine if you want to be sure you get the correct scanner and cartridge and cable.
Old 05-09-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
The other day I talked to Jerry about the no engine cranking problems.
Can you please tell me how the no cranking problem presents itself? My '93 stopped allowing the engine to crank while I've been sitting here parked for toooooo long.

In my case it fails during the key on diagnostics, the Do Not Start light and Check Engine lights stay lit, and the engine won't crank--yet the DDEC diagnostics don't show any recent error codes.

When I first bought my coach I had a coolant sensor failure, but this still allowed the engine to start and run in "limp mode" until I fused the two sensor leads together (until I replaced the sensor), so I don't think this is the problem.

My coach had the rear start switch already disabled and removed when I bought it 11 years ago, so I'm reluctant to go down that road if your problem didn't present with the same lights and warnings.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 05-09-2021
Retired Member

In my case, it was the rear starting switch. I guess is common for them to create a short in the ignition system. After taking it apart and cleaning it, everything went back to normal.

FMCA-456176