Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2018

Default New Thermostat

So, we’ve had our coach since late February. It came with nearly new 15,000btu a/c’s (installed a little over a year ago) with heat pumps running on the original five button thermostat. I would like to install a new 10/12 button thermostat for the setback and auto capabilities. I have this thermostat in an Airstream trailer and love it. Dometic has informed me that it would require replacing the control boards, as well as the thermostat. So now the cost has gone from about $100 to more than $600, just for parts. I think I’ll wait until the thermostat needs to be replaced for the upgrade.

When we first got the coach, the baseboard electrical heat located under the refrigerator worked on zone two. Now the heat pump runs when electric heat is called for. Guess the control board got smarter. I’m wondering if it is possible to add a basic thermostat similar to the ones that control electric and AquaHot heat in the bathroom, and locate it next to the five button. That would allow use of both the heat pump and the baseboard.

Anyone done this, or contemplated it?
Old 06-14-2018

If the 5 button is anything like the 10 button, each zone unit has a hierarchy of ways to provide heat. The thermostat will select the most efficient of those ways, choosing to run the heat pump in preference to Aqua-Hot and/or the toe heaters. The 10 button unit allows one to over ride this automatic preference and choose exactly which method of generating heat the user would like.

Yes, you have to match the thermostat to the control boards and there are three varieties of each. Check part numbers carefully. In addition, the control boards supplied with the 10 button thermostat requre a freeze sensor be installed in the evaporator coil of each roof unit and plugged into the board. I know that the control boards supplied with the old 4 button unit did not require this sensor.

In my bus the two electric toe heaters, as well as the kitchen fan, are on a separate thermostat located right under the Dometic thermostat.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
If the 5 button is anything like the 10 button, each zone unit has a hierarchy of ways to provide heat. The thermostat will select the most efficient of those ways, choosing to run the heat pump in preference to Aqua-Hot and/or the toe heaters. The 10 button unit allows one to over ride this automatic preference and choose exactly which method of generating heat the user would like.

Yes, you have to match the thermostat to the control boards and there are three varieties of each. Check part numbers carefully. In addition, the control boards supplied with the 10 button thermostat requre a freeze sensor be installed in the evaporator coil of each roof unit and plugged into the board. I know that the control boards supplied with the old 4 button unit did not require this sensor.

In my bus the two electric toe heaters, as well as the kitchen fan, are on a separate thermostat located right under the Dometic thermostat.
The 5 button has options for gas or electric heat. Gas works with the AquaHot, and electric appears to be based on whatever you hook up to that option. The front and back only have the heat pumps. I’m guessing (I’ll dig into it more when we return from our trip) that both the toe heater and the heat pump are connected. I base this on the fact that when we initially took delivery the toe heater was what came on when heat was called for. I asked the seller what I would have to do to get the heat pump to run. He had no clue, despite the fact that his shop installed the units. Magically it started to run instead of the toe heater during our trip, and still does when heat is selected.

The units came with control boards that are supposed to be compatible with the 10 button thermostat. They chose to not spend another hundred dollars to get the new thermostat. Instead, they hooked it all to the old 5 button. I have contacted Dometic tech, and they have informed me that once the control boards “mate” to a thermostat you need new boards if you get a new thermostat. Seems kind of crazy to me, but oh well.

Since the units seem to work fine with the 5 button, both on a/c and heat pump, I was contemplating just adding a basic thermostat (much lower cost than new thermostat and three boards) and connecting it to the toe heater. From what you have indicated, it sounds like that can be done. I’m guessing it is just connecting control wires and a power source, which should already be available at the 5 button.
Old 06-14-2018

Edit to my previous; the bathroom toe heater runs off a thermostat in the bathroom and the kitchen toe heater shares a thermostat with the kitchen Fantastic fan. The toe heaters and the Aqua Hot/Dometic control systems are not linked in any way that I have yet discovered. There's also a second thermostat in the bathroom that does ???

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what the two knobs on the panel in front of the sink with the tank level sensors and the Insta-Hot, LPG sensor, and disposer switches as well as water pump and generator switch are for.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 06-14-2018

Fan speed for aqua hot??
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-14-2018

I'll check next time I have the Aqua-Hot fired up. Right now it's about 80 degrees or more and I've flipped off the AH breaker while the bus is sitting.
No sense paying for hot water when I'm not using it.
I was actually suspecting that the knobs controlled volume on the two surround speakers back in the kitchen/dining area.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 06-14-2018

I'll check next time I have the Aqua-Hot fired up. Right now it's about 80 degrees or more and I've flipped off the AH breaker while the bus is sitting.
No sense paying for hot water when I'm not using it.
I was actually suspecting that the knobs controlled volume on the two surround speakers back in the kitchen/dining area.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022