Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-11-2012
davidmbrady

Hi Chuck,

We can work on the profile to give us more strength and thickness where needed. I have an almost complete M380 seal in my possession. I don't find it that hard to push the air seal into the retainer. I think a simple flaring tool could be fabricated to spread the retainer while inserting the air seal. I'd like to see us do the whole thing, air seal and retainer, but at $1500 setup cost for each piece: seal, retainer, and retainer corners, or $4500 total, I don't see us collecting enough contributors to make this a reality. One possibility is to skip the pre-molded retainer corner pieces. This would require us to simply bend the retainer into the corners. If I do this with the retainer that I have I end up with some pretty severe wrinkling of the retainer ears/wipers, which begs the question: are those ears/wipers really worth anything? Do they make contact with the slide body to wipe away debris? They seem too flimsy to do much, and if they don't make contact then they're not really serving any purpose. Do folks here object to some distortion of the retainer ears/wipers in the corners? If not, then we can do both the seal and the retainer for a combined setup fee of $3000.00. The price of the final product will be very economical if we can eliminate the added cost of bonding corner pieces to the retainer.
Old 10-11-2012
cmillsap

David,

A proper sized piece of the main retainer could be used for the corners. The proper amount of V cuts in the retainer wiper walls could solve the issue of the wiper walls being wavy as it fits around the corner radius. A paper template could be provided with the seal and retainer for the installer to use to cut the V cuts properly.

Chuck
Old 10-11-2012
davidmbrady

Chuck,

I like that suggestion and there might even be a DRI solution along those lines; i.e., notched and bonded corner wipers. We hear over and over that folks object to slides because of the air seal issues and sealing issues in general. BB Wanderlodge slides are likely the best bus and slide combos out there. If we can lick the air seal issue at an economical price then we have a winner for everyone. I don't mind periodically replacing my seal if it's cheap; it's just another wear item. To me, this is the goal.
Old 10-12-2012

Default M380 seal

David, We owned out M380 for about a year when it developed a leak in the living room slide. We repaired it with a couple of coats of jell super glue. This held for a year, probably would have held longer. But we had an extended warranty and took it to Parliament and Johnney Anderson replaced it for us. As soon as I can find the receipt I will let you know about the cost of replacement.
Missouri
Old 10-12-2012

Default M380 seal

We have made it a practice, whenever we are parked for more than a few days, to wipe off the top of the slides before retracting. Amazing amount of dirt accumulates under the awnings on the slides. That abrasive material is bound to wear the seals out. Also, about twice a year, while the slides are out, I wash and polish the slides, top and sides. If we are parked for a month or longer I go to the second bay from the front, road side, and turn off the air to the seals. Then turn back on, do this twice, allowing the seals to deflate and then reinflate. It seems that the seals need to "break loose" from the sides after being parked for an extended amount of time. Just trying to be pro-active in maintaining seals.
Missouri
Old 10-12-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc&Linda View Post
We have made it a practice, whenever we are parked for more than a few days, to wipe off the top of the slides before retracting. Amazing amount of dirt accumulates under the awnings on the slides. That abrasive material is bound to wear the seals out. Also, about twice a year, while the slides are out, I wash and polish the slides, top and sides. If we are parked for a month or longer I go to the second bay from the front, road side, and turn off the air to the seals. Then turn back on, do this twice, allowing the seals to deflate and then reinflate. It seems that the seals need to "break loose" from the sides after being parked for an extended amount of time. Just trying to be pro-active in maintaining seals.
That's a good practice, Doc. I am not aware of an air shutoff valve at the slide control panel in the 2nd roadside bay except the (2) pressure adjusting valves which are set at about 20psi on my coach.

Chuck
Old 10-14-2012

Chuck, I have a handle (actually a lever handle, just right of the gauge) to bleed the air off of the seals.
Missouri
Old 10-14-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc&Linda View Post
Chuck, I have a handle (actually a lever handle, just right of the gauge) to bleed the air off of the seals.
Interesting, Is it just an air shut of valve in the supply line or is it on a manifold to dump the air? The air supply line is directly connected to the pressure valve's manifold in the black box on my coach. I may have to add a valve but it will need to be designed to dump the slide seal side of the air system. A regular ball valve will not work as it will cause the air in the seals to be contained there when it is closed.

Chuck
Old 10-16-2012

We can work on the profile to give us more strength and thickness where needed. I have an almost complete M380 seal in my possession. I don't find it that hard to push the air seal into the retainer. I think a simple flaring tool could be fabricated to spread the retainer while inserting the air seal.

David,
Pushing the seal into the uninstalled retainer is easy. From personal experience I have found that pushing the seal into the installed retainer while using a flaring tool is very difficult, if not impossible. According to Johnney Anderson the seal must be assembled before installation in the coach. So what I am saying is that you cannot reuse the retainer without removing it from the coach, undamaged.
Old 10-17-2012
davidmbrady

Thanks Joe, got it.