Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-09-2013

Check out the Viair website, excellent compressors!
Old 07-09-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Crocker View Post
Check out the Viair website, excellent compressors!
I've been looking at Vlair. I understand they were a BB factory replacement for some original equipment compressors. How's yours holding up, dose it put out good volume at max pressure still?

I've read so many compressor reviews and marketing blurbs I can't keep 'em straight. I know from the blurbs that Vlair makes a constant-duty high-pressure (~150+) reasonable-volume small-size 120V compressor head at a lower price than a 100 psi Gast. I'd be interested in any first hand reviews about the durability--how it has maintained its capabilities with use.

Oh, one other thing I'd really like to know. Does ANY compressor produce more hot air than KC? LOL!

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 07-09-2013
prone to wandering

Interesting, for some reason the aux compressor in my LX will only maintain about 70 psi
jimdoel@me.com
Old 07-10-2013

I bought a Viair 350C compressor kit: 12V. 100% duty cycle @ 100 psi, 150 psi max. for about $180. The kit includes everything needed for installation. Installed myself this past Feb. I have had no problems. It's twice the compressor of the Thomas that it replaced for about 1/2 the price. I recently saw a Viair installed in a M-450 at parliament. Viair also makes hardmount compressors specifically for filling tires, 1050 psi, 100% duty cycle (model 450 H) for about $220.
Old 12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Added Compressor to our 88 FC
Bill,

I'm considering the compressor install. Does your setup have a pressure switch, or do you just hook up and bang air until the pressure is up in the tanks?
Old 12-09-2013

I bought one of these. Take the top off and it gets pretty small. No need for the tanks but it has all the other stuff the switches and valves so you can use it for other stuff. Any it has enough output to pressurize the air bags and brakes pretty quickly.

It was a bit big for mounting in the void where the Redi-Line was but it fits just nice in the bin where the air jack is. I can't connect it to that out let but have modified the situation at the Scharder valve so I could better connect an air hose.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Tr...z0v5qkZ1z0y9y7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New-air-connection-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	26011  

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 12-09-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNewell View Post
Bill,

I'm considering the compressor install. Does your setup have a pressure switch, or do you just hook up and bang air until the pressure is up in the tanks?
I chose a simple installation for our usage, no gages or pressure switch.
Just need 110V power & an air line to the dryer, do not forget the check valve.
Easy to add more options including a switch on the dash
Old 12-10-2013
Former Bird Owner

I bought a "twin stack", cheap air compressor at Costco. $125~$150 or so as I recall. It "died" after about 6 months -- and Costco honored the warranty by giving me a full refund (as store credit).

I then bought a Rigid-brand 4.5 gal twin stack 150 psi compressor at Home Depot, for about $250 or so. (They no longer list that particular model.) I still have it, and it's been quite durable for the light use I have for it.

It fit quite well in the first compartment (I kept it on the street side). While it had a carrying handle, frankly it was a little heavy to carry around much. (I've placed it on a furniture dolly that makes it easy to move around.) I'd suggest a model with wheels, if possible.

My coach did not come with the aux. compressor. There was a Microphor 12v pancake compressor that kept the toilet operational. However, I was not able to cycle the dump valves without coach air. So I used the Rigid to air-up the coach (schrader valve in engine compartment) to dump the tanks. Eventually, I figured out how to connect an airline from the dump valves to the Microphor compressor, so the dump valves could be cycled. (They didn't actually use much air, but needed about 75 to 80 psi to operate.)

I still carried the Rigid for tire top offs on the bird. I still use the Rigid at home to deal with my car and the Roadtrek/Sprinter's tires -- but since the Roadtrek doesn't have much storage space, the Rigid stays home, now. (I also have a few air-operated tools useful for home repair, etc.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com