Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Dick
I hope it was just tire and not wheel well components, step/valves/air/hyd lines etc etc
Proves yet again "NEW" tires can and do fail. Did't Randy loose one earlier this year.
I know Randy had a problem with the Centramatics balancer wearing a hole in the valve stem, and Dick's issue was the balance weights crushing the stem (and possibly insufficient tightening of the stem?). It would appear that the tires themselves were not at fault.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-29-2013

Wow Dick! The main thing is you and Patsy are ok. Are they going to buy you a new tire, if they installed them improperly? I hope so.

A new tire $600
A new valve stem $ 15
A new pair of underwear $ 5
Making it home alive and well Priceless

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 10-29-2013
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Guess I need to log on to get update news. Joe, hope you get out quickly, I will give you a call. Dick, sorry to hear about your tire, but glad all is well now.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-29-2013

Maybe when you have time Dick you could elaborate on what has happened here.

I thought getting new tires was the solution not the cause for this blow out stuff. I'd say some one owes you.

Explain what to do to prevent. Thanks Dick, Heck Man

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-29-2013
Can't re-member

Lets everyone remember when you read "new tires" on this thread that it was not the original seller/installer (Snider Tires) that caused the problem. If they had of done this it would not have made it a fraction of the distance traveled before the valve stem was worn through. The original posting stated that the new tires were removed by a different dealer for balancing and this started the problem. I would hate for this thread to be read sometime in the future and someone confuse the issue and think that Snider tires caused this problem.

Thanks,

John

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-29-2013

Sorry for the mistake Dick, I did miss that the valve stem was damaged by the hub balancing weight. Thanks John for the post, very informative.
Old 10-29-2013

Default Satisfied with the service provided by Snider

John, thanks for adding clarity to my original post. Today I had calls from the Snider Tire rep, Theo, and 3 additional phone conversations from Raben Tire in Blytheville, AR.

http://www.rabentire.com/catalog/aut...evilleArkansas

Jeremy (sp?) at Raben indicated the owner his company would be paying for the new replacement Michelin tire and I would not be billed for the Emergency Road Service call.

For the record, I am also highly satisfied with the service provided by Snider tire and the Michelin Advantage program set up by Dupree Products. Thanks Stephen.

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...m.jsp#fullsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post
Lets everyone remember when you read "new tires" on this thread that it was not the original seller/installer (Snider Tires) that caused the problem. If they had of done this it would not have made it a fraction of the distance traveled before the valve stem was worn through. The original posting stated that the new tires were removed by a different dealer for balancing and this started the problem. I would hate for this thread to be read sometime in the future and someone confuse the issue and think that Snider tires caused this problem.

Thanks,

John
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 10-29-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fixed boo boo in title
Old 10-29-2013

John, will do, when the time is right... In the interim be especially watchful for valve stems which may have been damaged from improper 'indexing' of the tire/wheel assembly. Damaged valve stems can result in a tire 'blowout' and a 'blowout' can be ugly. And that is all I have to say about that.

During the 'walk around' prior to launch, observe your tires, and at rest stops check for overheated tires that may be losing air pressure. Tire monitoring systems can give advanced warning too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Maybe when you have time Dick you could elaborate on what has happened here.

I thought getting new tires was the solution not the cause for this blow out stuff. I'd say some one owes you.

Explain what to do to prevent. Thanks Dick, Heck Man
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 10-29-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fix'd spellin
Old 10-30-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
Raben Tire Co service truck arrived at 5:15 PM and we were back on the road within an hour. Raben had a fresh identical 315/80 x 22.5 replacement onboard.

Snyder Tire installed 2 new 315's on our coach on Wednesday, the first day of WOG 2013.

The tire technician found the new valve stem not tightened adequately plus the valve stem was crushed by nearly flat by the balancing weight on the brake drum.

Spending the night at Frederickstown, MO. All is well watching World Series game 5.
It is important to place the blame for the improper wheel installation on the correct tire dealer that being Raben Tire who did the balance and not Snider Tire who installed the new tires at the WOG rally, read;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > WOG at Pine Mountain!!

Quote:
John, thanks for adding clarity to my original post. Today I had calls from the Snider Tire rep, Theo, and 3 additional phone conversations from Raben Tire in Blytheville, AR.

http://www.rabentire.com/catalog/autotires/BlythevilleArkansas

Jeremy (sp?) at Raben indicated the owner his company would be paying for the new replacement Michelin tire and I would not be billed for the Emergency Road Service call.

For the record, I am also highly satisfied with the service provided by Snider tire and the Michelin Advantage program set up by Dupree Products. Thanks Stephen.

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/services/AdvantageProgram.jsp#fullsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post

Thanks,

John

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-30-2013

Bump...Read post #7 of this thread Note added and 4 pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
Raben Tire Co service truck arrived at 5:15 PM and we were back on the road within an hour. Raben had a fresh identical 315/80 x 22.5 replacement onboard.

Snider Tire installed 2 new 315's on our coach on Wednesday, the first day of WOG 2013.

The Raben Emergency Road technician found the new valve stem not tightened adequately plus the valve stem was crushed by nearly flat by the balancing weight on the brake drum.

Note: On our way home from WOG 2013, we asked Raden Tire in Blytheville, AR to balance the front tires.
The tire/wheel assemblies were removed and spin balanced on a high tech digital machine. The valve stem on the RF wheel was damaged apparently when the tire/wheels were reinstalled on the coach.

Spending the night at Frederickstown, MO. All is well watching World Series game 5.

Pics: Tire; Damaged Valve Stem (2); Terry, Emergency Road Tech from Raben Tire Scott City MO.
Rolla, MO 65401