Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2017

Thank you all for your kind comments. Many of you got to meet Squirt and some of you didn't. She was without a doubt special to me. I am no different than anyone else in thinking my dog was the best there was. But when you can walk your dog without a leash and still have control of her, or leave her at your campsite on the awning rug and come back a hour later and she is still lying there, you have something special. I had countless people ask me, "How do you keep her there?" I honestly didn't know. I just told her to stay and she would. When I first got her, she would come outside with me to go pottie and start to walk to far away. I just whistled, she stopped, looked back at me, I motioned for her to come to me and that was it. From then on when I whistled she came running. No matter what. I did the same thing when we walked. We would walk and she would wonder a little and I would just snap my finger. Nothing more was required and she would come back to my side. I could tell her to do anything and she responded appropriately. I have never seen a more obedient dog.

We enjoyed each other so much. But she did hold grudges. When I started up the Harley if she wasn't on it, Michele said she would go hide under the bed and not come out. She was upset because she wasn't on it with me. There were times I just couldn't take her. Too hot or too cold or whatever. Especially, when I went on my Route 66 trip. We were gone a month. Michele said she would lie by the patio door, looking down the driveway, all day long, for a week or two and finally gave up, thinking I had abandoned her. When I came home, I didn't see her for nearly two weeks!! She just hid under the bed and when she finally came out she let me know she was pissed! She walked out into the living room, sat her butt down, with her back to me, ears laid back, nose in the air, and head turned just enough to look out the side of her eyes to see if I was noticing her!!! What a diva!!! She wanted me to know my actions were unacceptable and were not going to be tolerated. So for those people that claim a dog only lives for the moment, I beg to differ. This is one that would match the temperament of any child imaginable and would remember when you "done her wrong" but would most assuredly remember when you loved her with all that you had to give. Because of my lack of experience with animals I literally treated her like one of my kids, which I did have experience with. She wasn't perfect, just close. I literally would look at her, when she messed up and you could see her lay her ears down, drop her head and and give you that I'm sorry look. I never had to say a word, but she knew. I'll never forget when we where at one of the Hershey rallies and she started going around begging for food. A couple of people saw that she actually cried. She would sit there and actually have tears well up in her eyes and then drop out of the corner of her eyes, onto her cheek. Who could resist that?!!!

I have placed her in her bed, with her blanket, in a sealed container. She didn't like getting wet, so I made sure that won't be an issue. I ordered a laser engraved marker for her and gave her a special place in the yard. A place Michele always comments about as a "quiet place." Rest In Peace Little Girl. You will be missed!!!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-15-2017

Default Thoughts!!

Jim:

You're just like me... Tough when need be.. but, soft when it comes to family and pet love ones...

We had to do the same with one of my favorite pets and I felt that day, I would of taken the shot in her place... Still not totally over that doings...but knew it was for the best.. Sorry for the happenings and the lost, as many of the WOG members very much relate to this time of yours. We all have to address this one time or another, for by design, we live longer than our beloved pet family members...

It's hard each day, for me, to look at our present family dog (a little POM named Possum), knowing very soon, we will be feeling what you are now & going through (she is going on 18 years old) and knowing the days are numbered for us...

I know you have endured a lot with job, family members, and now family pet.

We do understand the hurt...!!!
Pan & Tilt rear Camera System/12 cams/Security System
New Castle, Indiana (summer)
Bradenton, Florida (winter)
kb9bg@arrl.net
Old 06-15-2017

Jim:

Sorry to hear of you losing your friend but yes, you will see her again. I think the following poem is very assuring.

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Amateur Radio - KG7V

Last edited by marvjeanm380; 06-15-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2017

Jim I am sorry for your loss. The hardest thing to do is to say it is time having been there before. I remember the first time I seen Squirt she was riding on your bike looking happy as can be, I told Dona look at that do you think I could get Cougar to do that. Jim our fur children are always there for us in good times and bad comforting us they are masters at reading us. Squirt will always be in your heart take care my friend and will keep you in our prayers

CARL & DONA BRORUP
EATONTON, GEORGIA
1998 40' LX BODY # F 120221
2015 jeep Wrangler unlimited
k9 Cougar GSD EOW 4/22/019
K9 LUCY(LU LU) Aussie
K9 Sasha von GSD (EOW 4/1/015) WOG 2014
KB4WNJ & KE4SIL
706-473-0750 email kb4wnj@aol.com
Old 06-15-2017

Sorry for your loss Jim. They do work their way into our hearts.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-15-2017

Jim,
So sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets never really leave us. They live on in memories of the love and devotion they gave us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 06-15-2017

So sorry Jim. Sometimes true love is letting go. You did the right thing, as hard as it was.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Old 06-16-2017

To all of you that have sent heartfelt comments and condolences thank you. This has been a rough few days. However, reading all of your posts, has been a great source of encouragement to know I did the right thing and that Squirt is in a better place. It still doesn't make the emptiness go away. I know it will take time for that. But again, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you all for caring.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-16-2017

What a cool dog! Sorry Jim and Michele
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 06-16-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Jim I have had many dogs over the years and loved them all. But some just get closer than other. Not than many years ago I had to let my White Shepard Misty go do to sever cancer. We rescued her at an early age and she was very grateful to have a good home and was with us pretty much 24/7 for the next 10 yrs during our move and change of professions, so we were very close. Having to put her down was one of the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My vet is a close friend, made it easier, but still tough.
I would not take for all the great memories she provide our family.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com