Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 01-19-2018

Default Nova Kool RFU9000 AC/DC fridge

I just got done installing a Nova Kool fridge in our bus to replace the Dometic absorbtion unit that was leaking.

In looking for a replacement, I thought about a domestic fridge but there were a few issues for us:

1) they are kinda power hogs and we boondock a lot.
2) to do it right I would need to upgrade my inverter to pure sine, and add more batteries.

After some research I found the Nova Kool compressor driven units and here is what I liked about them:

1) Marine grade with stainless steel hardware.
2) super stingy on power (5amps @ 12v DC when running)
3) small company with great support. The guy at the factory (Vancouver) picks up the phone by the third ring and has all the answers
4) flange mounted and solid
5) door latches and backup latches for high seas (or off roading in our case?)
6) easy to work on

It's a "man's" fridge. Built tough. None of this ninny BS about the law that says no one wants to see screw heads any more. The Nova Kool makes no attempt to hide it's stainless steel screws. It wears them with pride.

Very happy so far. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for in this case. Will report back if something changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_110825.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	53433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_110838.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	53434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_110848.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	53435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180117_190806.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	53436  

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 01-19-2018
RV Appraiser

I'm glad to see someone else jump on the Nova Kool, pricey but worth every penny in my book. I will look into getting one when ours bite the dust. I only know of one other David Sytf has one in his SP that Jim Brookshire installed it a few years back. They are a nice unit.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 01-19-2018

Just checked our log book. Installed RFU8220 Nova Kool it the SP in April 2010. Cost at that time was $1428 including shipping. Was very satisfied then and it is still providing good service for Dave. Worked great for boondocking, but so does my Samsung.
Old 01-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Just checked our log book. Installed RFU8220 Nova Kool it the SP in April 2010. Cost at that time was $1428 including shipping. Was very satisfied then and it is still providing good service for Dave. Worked great for boondocking, but so does my Samsung.
Still keeping the beer cold!
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-19-2018

Looking into these I notice that Dometic has a AC/DC compressor refer...

Only 8 CF, but ~$1200. Didnt check the size to see if it would replace the existing.

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 01-19-2018

The only problem with the Nova cool is the size. Not as big as the large Dometic or the Norcold. I am not fond of propane fridges but with modifications they actually work well. Our Dynasty has a huge Double door Amana( Whirlpool) house fridge. WE do spend time not hooked to power. The modern fridges are NOT power hogs. Lots of RV'rs with the Samsung RF18. Most modern motor homes require you to run the gennie once or twice a day. If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 01-19-2018

Don't know about now, but when I was looking, the AC/DC version just added an AC to DC converter for about $150 extra. Figured since I already had batteries and a charger, I bought the only DC version. Saved some money.

The Nova Kool had more inside room than the Dometic that was in the SP.
Old 01-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The only problem with the Nova cool is the size. Not as big as the large Dometic or the Norcold. I am not fond of propane fridges but with modifications they actually work well. Our Dynasty has a huge Double door Amana( Whirlpool) house fridge. WE do spend time not hooked to power. The modern fridges are NOT power hogs. Lots of RV'rs with the Samsung RF18. Most modern motor homes require you to run the gennie once or twice a day. If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.
The size hasn't been a problem for us. Like any other space, the bigger it is, the more stuff we don't need goes in to fill it. Our huge fridge at home could store a bunch of very large condiment jars. Our nova stores a bunch of smaller jars.There's just 2 of us, the family size is a waste of space.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.
Yea, I did a little math, and I agree that they are close (comparable size fridge and not counting loss from an inverter). The Samsung uses about double the energy, but it's double the capacity. Then again, that's trusting my math, which generally isn't a good idea.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 01-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Don't know about now, but when I was looking, the AC/DC version just added an AC to DC converter for about $150 extra. Figured since I already had batteries and a charger, I bought the only DC version. Saved some money.

The Nova Kool had more inside room than the Dometic that was in the SP.
Yea the guy at the factory tried to talk me out of the AC model for that reason. I went with it though because I could see myself pulling my batteries out sometime (or something along those lines) and the cost difference was less than one load of food. Seemed like cheap insurance.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878