Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-09-2018
Forum owner

Mike M had thye back ground in hvac,and he and i talked about this for several years,Mallie may have been included in the talking stage.
Mike figured it out (i was a sounding board).

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
brad it is a completed project i installed it in my coach in april i think but i have played around with this idea for servile years it was to costly with the digital controls i was using but the new residential /lite comercial control i use now its affordable its a done deal for me i see no reason to not use it in my opinion it's better than the brain box they come with...
i am planning on being at quartzsite az.
if you are there you can check it out
mike
Sounds great!! One thing I already like about this is the main brain is outside AquaHot box. Always on the lookout to "steal" better ideas and learn from others!!

Is there a way to run the system on strictly 12 volts like when boon docking??

If not then perhaps a small dedicated inverter might be a solution.

Is full sine wave inverter required?

I look forward to seeing it at "Q"!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 11-09-2018

Here is my attempt to describe the Aqua Hot controller that Mike has created to replace the very expensive Webasco control and ignitor (over $1100 vs less than $200). This device uses standard household modern 120 volt AC components to replace the 12 volt DC pieces installed originally in the Aqua hot. It does require either 120 VAC from an external source or from your inverter. I think it will work with modified sine wave, but have not verified it. The AC is only to power the Honeywell controller and the ignitor and will use very little power. The rest of the Aqua hot will still operate on your 12VDC as before. ie. it will not affect you ability to dry camp.

The attached drawing shows the basic wiring that is required. The major components are:
1. Honeywell burner control R7284u1004
2. Allanson ignitor 2275-619
3. two relays with AC coils to control
a. the 12 VDC signal that powers the blower/fuel pump
b. the 12 VDC signal that powers the fuel valve that passes thru the 230
degree high temperature limit
4. one relay with DC coil to turn on the AC power to power the controller when you turn on the Aqua hot switch on the dash
5. one 12 VDC Bosh or equal relay to tell the controller that 190 degree Aqua Hot thermostat wants the burner to run

You can use any relays that have the right coils and will handle the current, but Mike and I used P & B plug-in relays of the same type that Aqua Hot used to
run the circulation pumps.

You will have to remove the old wiring that connects to the AH control and connect the wired directly to the blower/fuel pump, fuel valve, ignitor, and flame sensor. You can connect directly to the existing connectors at the spark rods. Just use high voltage metal spark plug wire and screw it into the existing insulated connectors. The flame detector can also be directly connected to the Honeywell.

To make this modification you will have to do some wiring and fabricate mounts for the various components, but in my opinion saving over $900 and getting a modern system that can change out individual components rather than the entire controller is worth the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	58858  
Old 11-10-2018

Jim really a nice explanation, one change you and I talked about was to connect the red wire with diode to 12 volt for aqua hot burner motor. This will allow circulation pump to run helping to avoid hot spots.
Old 11-10-2018

Jim, very nice job. I noticed one minor spelling / grammar error which I highlighted in red below. Change wired to wires?

Thanks for the electrical diagram too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Here is my attempt to describe the Aqua Hot controller that Mike has created to replace the very expensive Webasco control and ignitor (over $1100 vs less than $200). This device uses standard household modern 120 volt AC components to replace the 12 volt DC pieces installed originally in the Aqua hot. It does require either 120 VAC from an external source or from your inverter. I think it will work with modified sine wave, but have not verified it. The AC is only to power the Honeywell controller and the ignitor and will use very little power. The rest of the Aqua hot will still operate on your 12VDC as before. ie. it will not affect you ability to dry camp.

The attached drawing shows the basic wiring that is required. The major components are:
1. Honeywell burner control R7284u1004
2. Allanson ignitor 2275-619
3. two relays with AC coils to control
a. the 12 VDC signal that powers the blower/fuel pump
b. the 12 VDC signal that powers the fuel valve that passes thru the 230
degree high temperature limit
4. one relay with DC coil to turn on the AC power to power the controller when you turn on the Aqua hot switch on the dash
5. one 12 VDC Bosh or equal relay to tell the controller that 190 degree Aqua Hot thermostat wants the burner to run

You can use any relays that have the right coils and will handle the current, but Mike and I used P & B plug-in relays of the same type that Aqua Hot used to
run the circulation pumps.

You will have to remove the old wiring that connects to the AH control and connect the wired directly to the blower/fuel pump, fuel valve, ignitor, and flame sensor. You can connect directly to the existing connectors at the spark rods. Just use high voltage metal spark plug wire and screw it into the existing insulated connectors. The flame detector can also be directly connected to the Honeywell.

To make this modification you will have to do some wiring and fabricate mounts for the various components, but in my opinion saving over $900 and getting a modern system that can change out individual components rather than the entire controller is worth the work.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 11-10-2018

THANK YOU Mike for all your work on this mod also Jim B and also Paul B with his write up and pictures At this time my AH is working fine but I am going to get all the parts up and make the mod at a later date.
Also thanks to Jim and Mike for their tech talk on this mod at WOG GREAT JOB
This mod makes since.

CARL & DONA BRORUP
EATONTON, GEORGIA
1998 40' LX BODY # F 120221
2015 jeep Wrangler unlimited
k9 Cougar GSD EOW 4/22/019
K9 LUCY(LU LU) Aussie
K9 Sasha von GSD (EOW 4/1/015) WOG 2014
KB4WNJ & KE4SIL
706-473-0750 email kb4wnj@aol.com
Old 11-10-2018

Awesome work guys!

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 11-12-2018

I bought an igniter and relays recently, but have decided to take a different route, so I'm selling the parts.

One Allson igniter

One Potter & Brumfield relay KUHP-5DT1-12

Three Potter & Brumfield relays K10P-11AT5-120

$70 OBO includes ground shipping cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	58889  

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 11-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
I bought an igniter and relays recently, but have decided to take a different route, so I'm selling the parts.

One Allson igniter

One Potter & Brumfield relay KUHP-5DT1-12

Three Potter & Brumfield relays K10P-11AT5-120

$70 OBO includes ground shipping cost
Andy:

PM sent regards to the above items....
Pan & Tilt rear Camera System/12 cams/Security System
New Castle, Indiana (summer)
Bradenton, Florida (winter)
kb9bg@arrl.net
Old 11-12-2018

Sold!