Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 09-21-2010

Default Toyo or Yokohoma

Tires are between 5 and 6 years old. I can get Toyo or Yokohoma. About the same price. The current coach and previous ran the Toyo tires and had good luck with them. Thoughts on going with the Yokohoma?

Anyone one running the 315/80 225s. Not sure my wheel width is right for this tire. I need to do some research here.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-21-2010

Curt,
Just got a set of Firestone FS400 for the steer axel. Don't know how they will wear or anything but in the 100 miles or so that I have driven them they seem great. Had Michelen on the front before and they seem to be as good a ride and handling as they were. I paid $1,100 out the door with installation, Equal, Valve Stems w/filters, puting the old front tires on the tag, and disposal. Didn't seem to bad of a deal from what I have heard

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 09-21-2010

I got Yokohama RY023's steer tires about three and a half years ago, and was going to put the same on the rears this year since I have been happy with them on the front.. When the rear tires arrived, they had late 2006 date codes on them....in fact the same code as the fronts. ( which was fine in Feb/Mar '07 )
Told the shop I wouldn't accept them since they were old. I ended up putting on Bridgestone R260's for the same price, and have been happy with them as well. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $350 each.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 09-21-2010

As said above the date stamp on the tyre is as probably as important as the brand name.
As most rv's dont do many miles compared to coach's/trucks they are built on, tyres tend to get changed when they pop rather than wear out, buying tyres new that were made 2-3yrs ago will not be problem now but in a few yrs time will be dangerous & well perised long before they where out.
yoko's are top qual tyres, but for large rvs I think michelins are king, but that just my view

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 09-22-2010
FOX

I have run Toyo tires for years including my coach, cars and pickups and they are my tire of choice.

I was steered toward Toyo tires by the fact that they are what most of the loggers in northern Idaho ran and they swore by (not at) them.

]
2003 LXI dble. slide
SERIES 60
Alaska & Mexico
Old 09-22-2010

Curt,

I ran Yokohamas for a few years. And after a few trips cross country I was not happy with them at all. Of course I didn't know any better back then and later found out they were 3 years old when installed. I had 2 failures and they seemed NOT to wear very well. They also seemed to get the "rivering effect" in the front tires very rapidly. I put on 8 new Bridgestone 250's (12R22.5) a few months ago. They seem to be a nice tire. Smooth and quiet. Only have aabout 2K on them. But so far, so good.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-22-2010

Curt,
I have a new (with about 4,0000 Mi. so far) set of Toyo's on my M-380. Very smooth running with no problems. I also use Centramatics behind my wheels. With the Centramatics, I don't even bother with ballancing. They are worth every penny.
Old 09-22-2010

I tried a set of Goodyear tires on the front of our M380 and had (almost) disastrous results. After 500 miles of driving, the tires would get so hot they would begin to smoke. They literally were melting. I had never seen anything like it. The rims were warm (not hot) but the tires you could feel the heat as soon as you came out the entry door of the bus. The tires did begin to fall apart, but never blew out on us. There are photos of it somewhere here on the forum. McGee Goodyear in Lakeland, FL treated us right and replaced the tires at no charge, but the same thing happened again. I switched back to Michelin XZE's and everything has been fine since. That was 25K miles ago.

No one was ever able to explain what happened. The tires appeared fine when new, they had recent date codes and the load range/size was correct. We have Michelin's on the rear with 96K miles on them and still lookin good. I would have to say that Michelin's are the way to go.

J.L. Haney
2004 M380 D/S
Tag axle? We don't need no stinkin tag axle!
Auction Consulting Experts, LLC
Acebid.com
Lakeland, FL
Old 09-22-2010
Forum Moderator

Everyone has opinions on tires but I have to say that over the years I and several friends have had bad Goodyear experiences. In addition I have noted that this brand has generated the most complaints on RV sites. Now this is no scientific analysis but just personal observation and it could be a result of something a simple as Goodyear makes more tires ergo more complaints. I don't know for sure but for sure I do know this brand has been the most commonly complained about.
Old 09-23-2010
Administrator

Being a long time Forum reader , I agreed with Rob, But obviously
no support data on heavy vehicles.