Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-14-2012
Phil Olson

Default Turn Signal Problem - Can't Turn Right

My right turn signal stopped working recently on my 83 FC35. Left turn signal and hazards all work fine. When this first started, if I wiggled the turn signal lever the right signal would start to work, but now it is completely dead. I'm guessing the switch inside the steering column went bad. How do you open up the steering column to work on this? If it is a bad switch, where can I get a new one? It looks like you have to pry off the horn button first, but that seems to be on pretty tight so I thought I would ask the experts here first before I end up breaking it off.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2012

If you lightly pry up on the horn button you will see that there is a spring clip which needs to be pushed in (towards the center of the steering column) and that will allow you to get the horn button off. You then will likely have to take the steering wheel off which if my memory serves me is held on with a couple hex bolts.

One hint to get the steering wheel back on in correct alignment make certain the wheel is "pointed" left to right correctly before you take it off. If not then you will have the spokes covering the instruments when going down the high way. Ask me how I know. So if the wheel is not straight before you start remember how it's pointed so when you put it back on it goes on as it came off or start the bus and line it up before you start.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-14-2012

How about putting masking tape on the wheel and blinker switch or something similar to be a guide when reinstalling it?
Old 08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Olson View Post
My right turn signal stopped working recently on my 83 FC35. Left turn signal and hazards all work fine. When this first started, if I wiggled the turn signal lever the right signal would start to work, but now it is completely dead. I'm guessing the switch inside the steering column went bad. How do you open up the steering column to work on this? If it is a bad switch, where can I get a new one? It looks like you have to pry off the horn button first, but that seems to be on pretty tight so I thought I would ask the experts here first before I end up breaking it off.

Thanks
Phil, I believe the Steering Wheel is held on with one large nut. Remove the nut and pull the Wheel off. You may need a hub puller to do that. The switch is under the hub. I think the switch is a Ford part. If you can't find one, I think Woody has a few if, if not I have a spare.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-15-2012
Can't re-member

Default Check this first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Olson View Post

Thanks
Before you go to all of that trouble here's one thing to check. Open up the passenger side front access panel. If you will notice at the top of that compartment (in front of the passenger's foot area) there are many wires coming down from an upside down connecter strop. the strip has male spade plugs. Many of the wires (device side) have wires with separate M/F connectors going to one female connector which plugs on to the upside down male plug. Standing in front of your bus the right turn signals are 3 or 4 spade connectors from the left on that strip. Because there are two wires and multiple connectors sometimes (due to gravity) the weight combined with being plugged in upside down and hanging by the female connector alone, will come loose and fall. I had very similar symptoms recently and this was the problem, simply unplugged. The easiest way to find out which spade connector is the turn signal one also is to trace from the right front turn signal on the front panel over to the connector strip. Chances are you may see it hanging there unplugged directly below the proper male spade on the strip.

John

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 08-15-2012

If you do decide to pull the steering wheel, becareful of the horn button when you pull it. The button has a couple of small tabs that hold it into place. If you break one of the tabs, the button will not be retained in its recessed position. The secret is push and rotate the horn pad to remove. Trust me I found this out the hard way!! Broke a tab off then had to re-build one with epoxy, hardner and a fair chunk of JB Weld!! My problem was the switch, NAPA does sell a replacement, series 900. If the switch is your problem the NAPA switch works well. I have one, it combines L/R blinker and flasher. It is black and chrome and works very well for me.
Old 08-15-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post
Before you go to all of that trouble here's one thing to check. Open up the passenger side front access panel. If you will notice at the top of that compartment (in front of the passenger's foot area) there are many wires coming down from an upside down connecter strop. the strip has male spade plugs. Many of the wires (device side) have wires with separate M/F connectors going to one female connector which plugs on to the upside down male plug. Standing in front of your bus the right turn signals are 3 or 4 spade connectors from the left on that strip. Because there are two wires and multiple connectors sometimes (due to gravity) the weight combined with being plugged in upside down and hanging by the female connector alone, will come loose and fall. I had very similar symptoms recently and this was the problem, simply unplugged. The easiest way to find out which spade connector is the turn signal one also is to trace from the right front turn signal on the front panel over to the connector strip. Chances are you may see it hanging there unplugged directly below the proper male spade on the strip.

John
I had initially skimmed your note and now after re-reading it I see that your hazards work and that you had had it working intermittently. Instead of deleting my note which probably does not apply, it will sill give something to be aware of. Best of luck with it.....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA