Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-29-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default Onan8k Kubota to alternator or transformer?

I just swapped my old cooling fan for a 12v electric radiator fan that pulls 23.5amps when running. I installed a thermostat that goes on at 190 off at 175 so it’s not running all the time.
The alternator or dynamo in the Onan-kubota produces 15amps.
I’m looking for something to up the power.
Anyone have any recommendations and how involved is the wiring I didn’t want to have to drop the generator(although I may have to).
Does anyone know if I have to pull the old voltage regulator?

I was also looking at a 220v to 12v dc 30amp transformer, adds something else that can fail but is only 20-30 bucks.
I could wire it in to the old 220v power for the blower motor. Looks like a few minutes to wire it in.

https://www.amazon.com/LETOUR-Conver.../dp/B01HOBX8V0
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2018
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,899
Default

I agree with the idea of using a converter to run the fan. The problem with the 12 volt fan is the battery charger never gets to the float stage due to the high current draw of the 12 volt fan. So using the 110/220 power to run the fan is a good idea.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default

Thanks Gardner, I’m looking for converter that’s speced for outdoors, looks like anything I want to get I’m going to have to wait for they are all overseas. Amazon has a bunch of converters all indoor rated.
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2018
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Thanks Gardner, I’m looking for converter that’s speced for outdoors, looks like anything I want to get I’m going to have to wait for they are all overseas. Amazon has a bunch of converters all indoor rated.

Yea, that's the problem. I have an indoor one but no compartment room near the gen fan for it. I suppose I could mount it under the couch. If it hums a little it won't be heard over the gen anyway


Need heavy gage wire for the amps as short as possible. I made up a two relay setup so the fan defaults to the converter, but if it fails it switches to 12 volts from the coach. Not much use if I don't put the converter in though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenRanRelays-Redundant.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	55716   Click image for larger version

Name:	GenRanRelays-Redundant-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	55717  
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 05-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Yea, that's the problem. I have an indoor one but no compartment room near the gen fan for it. I suppose I could mount it under the couch. If it hums a little it won't be heard over the gen anyway


Need heavy gage wire for the amps as short as possible. I made up a two relay setup so the fan defaults to the converter, but if it fails it switches to 12 volts from the coach. Not much use if I don't put the converter in though.
That’s a useful addition. I’m trying to wrap my brain around how to wire that.

I ordered a 110/220 ac to 12v dc 40amp indoor converter. It gave me a option to buy a warranty for $4.00 for 4 years for whatever mechanical failure or power surge or whatever reason it fails, so being a big spender went for it. I’m thinking I can put it in the bay behind the generator, should be real short wire runs and cooler than the generator compartment. It all sounds good on paper, I’ll call it good after we drive all day in 100degree weather.
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default

Got my converter, talked to tech support at a place that sells them and he said it should work.

Does anyone know which wire is Live and which is Neutral.

I think the wire in this picture is white but discolored which should be my neutral?

Then the brown should be live ?

Then should I ground to the generator or the bird they are both connected.

And the wire looks like 12 gauge should that be ok on the 220v side my 12v fan had 12 gauge running into it.

The capacitor is coming out I’m just showing the wires that supply power to it which I’m using for the converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275C924C-B8BA-40FA-836D-6F41493EDC80.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	55745  
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2018
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Got my converter, talked to tech support at a place that sells them and he said it should work.

Does anyone know which wire is Live and which is Neutral.

I think the wire in this picture is white but discolored which should be my neutral?

Then the brown should be live ?

Then should I ground to the generator or the bird they are both connected.

And the wire looks like 12 gauge should that be ok on the 220v side my 12v fan had 12 gauge running into it.

The capacitor is coming out I’m just showing the wires that supply power to it which I’m using for the converter.
The capacitor is in series with the motor, not hot on one side and neutral on t he other. There is a switch in the motor that disengages the start cap when the motor gets up to speed. The hot leads for the motor come from the control box, for 220 there is no neutral.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The capacitor is in series with the motor, not hot on one side and neutral on t he other. There is a switch in the motor that disengages the start cap when the motor gets up to speed. The hot leads for the motor come from the control box, for 220 there is no neutral.
These are the wires that were running into the junction box to the fan(black, white and green),can I run off of them ?
That second pic is the converter hookups.

White to N.
Black to L.
Green to ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A317B0D6-E5E6-4065-8B4D-9F839324B836.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	55746   Click image for larger version

Name:	40BD982F-0F9F-416D-A5E7-7EB13E8332E3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	55747  
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2018
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,547
Default

KiKi,
Check those fan wires and the Onan schematic, I don't believe those 220 Volt fan wires are circuit breaker protected, Maybe your add on converter is CB protected.
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2018
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
KiKi,
Check those fan wires and the Onan schematic, I don't believe those 220 Volt fan wires are circuit breaker protected, Maybe your add on converter is CB protected.
How was that motor protected the capacitor?

This converter only pulls 1.3amp.

Thank for the recommendation Bill I’ll go ahead and put a fuse in.
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35

Last edited by Steelwheels; 06-02-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Booster Transformer??? propellanttech Electrical 20 09-28-2017 06:41 PM
Adding Alternator to Powertech Kubota 15KW Genset konehd Generators 23 12-08-2016 03:05 PM
Kubota overheating MarkYuma Generators 44 08-29-2016 08:18 AM
Any clue about this 7.5v transformer? WanderRon LX and LXI (Unique Issues) 16 05-19-2016 08:04 PM
Kubota Glowplugs LarryKehler Generators 11 12-12-2013 01:43 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.