Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2015

Jim,
If they tested good on the multimeter I think they would be good. There are some along the right side of the engine in a wiring harness as you are facing the bus -also some in the control box. Have you checked the fuse (10 amp glass) on the control panel as well as the fuse (8 amp glass) on the back of the Kohler unit behind the vent plate-must take vent plate off to access it-requires crawling under properly SUPPORTED bus. Obviously you have been under there already since you knew about the connection problem on the insulated post on leg 2.Those two fuses will prevent the gen from producing electricity and continuing to run. If that doesn't do it then I think you are next going to have to take the controll box off and check all the connections inside the box and the diodes in the box-things get loose. I color coded the wiring harness with colored electrical tape before disconnecting. While you have it out change out all those relays. Especially that big blue ice cube one-that one will give symptoms like you are having. New brushes and inspection of the slip ring as well. Well under a $100. Even if you get a new gen part you are going to have to be able to get the engine running again unless you want to flip for a new engine as well. Good luck and thanks for keeping us updated.
Kansas, Il
Old 01-24-2015

I did confirm the fan was not running after the engine was started so no a/c. Took a mirror and looked at the brushes and could see one of the brush wires was broken. When I looked at the slip rings from the left side they appeared to be ok but when I looked at them from the right side the front ring was almost eroded away. Now at least I can work towards replacing the brushes and slip rings.
Old 01-24-2015

Jim, the broken brush wire and unevenly worn slip ring is a very common problem for our era generators. There is an excellent write up on here somewhere, for that repair and there's been at least five of us that I can think of that have done it. Your on the way to having it fixed!
Westchester Sandblast
Old 01-24-2015

I've started the process of removing the generator end cap, what a pain doing it by your self! I've got the brushes, bearing and slip rings on order. Ed had mention replacing the relays in the gen control box, can theses be purchased at an auto parts store? Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-24-2015

Jim do a search here on wog. Slip ring replacement. I can't figure out how to copy and paste on this ipad. But there's a link to a write up by Ryan that you should read. It will help the job go easier.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 01-25-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim11dd View Post
I've started the process of removing the generator end cap, what a pain doing it by your self! I've got the brushes, bearing and slip rings on order. Ed had mention replacing the relays in the gen control box, can theses be purchased at an auto parts store? Thanks again for your help.
The relays are a very common part, just be sure you get the wires back on correctly. Take pics and make drawings.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-25-2015

Just a quick question, does the armature bolt need to come out before you remove the generator end cap? How's the best way to remove it with the armature turning?
Old 01-25-2015

Jim, read this
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=4173
Westchester Sandblast
Old 02-10-2015

Guys I'm stumped, I've changed brushes, slip ring, bearing, and voltage regulator. I've tested the relays and diodes and it still won't produce any AC. And stay running. A new head is looking better and better. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2015

I'd get a professional to diagnose it before you keep dumping time and money into it. Mine was an identical experience which ended up in a new head. Luckily for my checkbook the prior owner did what you just did. If I remember the diagnosis correctly on mine the rotor was bad which was over 1k just in parts. I also tried replacing the voltage regulator with no success.
VB 1570