Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-06-2014

Default Winterizing someone else's FC SB

We don't do too much winterizing around here so when the weatherman announced that we'd have 2 days of sub-freezing temperatures (all day) and lows in the teens I went to work on the GMC. I think I'm in good shape there, however a friend has an FC (81 or 82) side bath that he seems unconcerned about.

I have no idea if it will start or not but figured a couple of gallons of pink stuff might help, at least with traps.

I'm having a little recurrent back problem so I'm not as agile as my usual self but wondered if I'm wasting my time. Is there anything else simple that I can do to help? I don't think I'll be climbing up under an unknown (or any other coach) to open drains.

I might just get around to buying this thing one day and I hate to have all that plumbing work to do. It might already be broken...I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Stick Miller
Old 01-06-2014
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
We don't do too much winterizing around here so when the weatherman announced that we'd have 2 days of sub-freezing temperatures (all day) and lows in the teens I went to work on the GMC. I think I'm in good shape there, however a friend has an FC (81 or 82) side bath that he seems unconcerned about.

I have no idea if it will start or not but figured a couple of gallons of pink stuff might help, at least with traps.

I'm having a little recurrent back problem so I'm not as agile as my usual self but wondered if I'm wasting my time. Is there anything else simple that I can do to help? I don't think I'll be climbing up under an unknown (or any other coach) to open drains.

I might just get around to buying this thing one day and I hate to have all that plumbing work to do. It might already be broken...I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Stick Miller
You are much further south than I but for what its worth, I don't do too much prepping and so far (knock on wood) no problems yet. I open all of the drain valves under the bathroom sink and run the water pump until nothing but air. I dump about a gallon(pink stuff) in the backwater tank via the toilet and bathroom sink (which fills the sink p-trap). I leave some in the toilet for the duration. I do the same with the kitchen sink and shower with another gallon. I also leave the ice maker running (with the lever in the up position). The ice maker generates heat out the back which is where the copper water lines are routed. I also have an oil filled room heater which I have sitting in the kitchen floor with the kitchen cabinet doors open. On REALLY cold nights like they are calling for this week, I also turn on the bathroom electric heater and leave the bathroom door open. Using these methods our bird (just south of Atlanta) maintains an interior temperature in the upper 30's to low 40's on even the coldest nights.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 01-06-2014

John, Stick didn't indicate he had access to electricity. I sorta assumed he did not which would make a decided difference. If he has dependable electric then he really should have no problem. Without electricity he should make sure the ice maker and the insta hot are drained. If he has a manual he should be able to talk his way thru this.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-06-2014

I think it's plugged in, though not sure. I don't have a manual and am really not looking to do much labor. I'll take some pliers an adjustable wrench and some pink stuff. After that, he's on his own. Thanks
Old 01-06-2014

If plugged in do exactly what John Stiles said. If no electric I'd try to get a couple gallons of the pink into the fresh water tank and pump it thru the systems using the water pump. If you can access the water tank which is likely under the bed there usually is a access opening you can pure thru. If you can't then you are going to have to run it in thru the fill point.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-06-2014

Thanks everyone. We had electricity so I turned on the bathroom heat as well as a space heater. Not sure the central heat is working but it got comfortable in there as I poured the pink goo.

This guy really doesn't care. I can't imagine.

Appreciate all the help...even if he doesnt
Old 01-07-2014

With all my worrying about my coach and my friend's coach and my house, I neglected to keep the Rinnai running last night so no hot water this morning. Since it is 19F right now and not likely to get above freezing, I've called a plumber.

This reinforces my hatred of cold weather. It just never gets too hot for me. Summertime needs are one: air conditioning.

No need to worry about water pipes overheating, no worry that the plants are getting too much sunshine, no chance of the coach sweating and breaking something.

This too shall pass...
Old 01-07-2014

hey stick
the jetta started this morning looks like the smog from an old bulldozer

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-07-2014

Glad it started, but no good can come from leaving the house in this kind of weather. We've warmed up to +20F.

BTW wonder why there's not a degree sign on a computer keyboard?
Old 01-07-2014

there is -

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact