Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 11-13-2014

Default winterizing

I'm hoping someone has an answer to my problem. While winterizing ,I've opened all the drains I could find, after connecting an air hose to the Commercial water port, and blowing out the line it still seems like I have water in the hot water tanks. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing?
Help, It is getting cold
1979 FC 3208 cat
Old 11-13-2014

Open pressure relief valve for hot water tank - follow line from tank cold water inlet - should connect to a drain close to hot water tank.

Open taps one at a time when blowing out lines - don't forget both hot water and cold water. You won't get all of the water out of your hot water tank - just way it is designed. Close the pressure relief valve after - I drained tank first then blew lines out with air.

Probably have drain valves in bathroom area as well, not sure where all your valves would be on 74.

That's my 2 cents - hope it helps! My bus is a block of ice now so I am waiting for spring for positive feedback from it now!
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 11-14-2014

THAnkskev in Ill try that
1979 FC 3208 cat
Old 11-14-2014

Thanks Kevin, I'll Try that
1979 FC 3208 cat
Old 11-14-2014
RV Appraiser

From years of winterizing houseboats I have found you need to open one faucet at a time when blowing out water from the water lines. I use about 75psi and start in the galley first, then move to the bath, shower, vanity & toilet then move outside to the lowest point. Repeat the process 3 - 4 times making sure all water is out of the system, before adding the pink stuff. By opening all faucets at once you're not building enough pressure, air is escaping and some water will remain in the system, which may be enough to freeze & rupture the pipes. I also start the process the night before by draining the fresh water tank & water heater. That is 80% of the job. You should also dump the waste tanks for the winter as well, and pull the pink stuff down all drains. In the event you have to use the facilities after the bird has been winterized I have about 3 - 4 gallons of the pink stuff mixed 50/50 ready to use to flush. Since we do not have power on our bus in storage & we use our coach in the winter, winterizing is a winter sport for us
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-14-2014

I had an 82FC and the only way I could get it so some pipe wouldn't freeze (usually in some place impossible to reach) was to bypass the hot water tank (after draining) and than pump the pipes full of RV (pink) antifreeze. The reason being if that the air doesn't get all the water out and it will find a low spot and freeze thus bursting a pipe behind the stove or some other convenient spot. The absolute best way to winterize it (it took me years to learn this) is to park it in Florida in October.
Old 11-04-2015

Has anyone used cheap vodka instead of the pink stuff to winterize. My father in law used to use it to winterize his sail boat and i don't think there ever was an issue with it freezing. I'm sick of that smell the pink **** produces for 2 months after dewinterizing. And if it does smell, at least it's vodka!!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 11-04-2015

Default winterizing

I do not use the pink stuff either ,my wife does not like the smell or taste in system for months . I Blow mine out , low pressure air and have not had a problem for the last 10 years since I started doing it that way
1979 FC 3208 cat
Old 11-04-2015

I don't get the pink stuff smell anymore. I bypassed the hot water heater so no pink stuff goes in there. In the spring I run several 5 gallon buckets of fresh water thru, still bypassed and from the same line I use to pump in the pink stuff. This way no pink stuff goes in the fresh tank either.
VB 1570
Old 11-04-2015

Default winterizing

Although the vodka does sound like a cool way to winterize could end up fun especially if I can get my wife to help
1979 FC 3208 cat