Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-28-2018

Default Upper Torque Arm Inspection

I’m adding this inspection to my yearly PMI, adding this after a fellow 380 owner had a failure..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4BFE87D-1F7B-4555-9F0E-719B9424C85D.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	58627  
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats

Last edited by Dc2x4drvr; 10-28-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
I’m adding this inspection to my yearly PMI.
As soon as I finish fixing things, I'd like to begin inspecting. I had brakes inspected, twice, dealer and George Morris, but I'd like to see for myself.

However, none of my tools used on my previous SOB are up to handling the weight and size of this coach. I need jacks and stands. I couldn't get the tires off, even if I had them. I've been reading about torque multipliers for wheel nut removal, but can't decide if I'd use one.

I don't even have a good list of spare parts, filters, etc. needed. So much to learn .....
Old 10-28-2018

Lance, I recently had a failure of my rear upper torque arm mounting bolts on the frame end, which resulted in a bent torque arm and about 10 days to find a new torque arm and get it installed. I have the old arm and may investigate getting Josam to straighten it. As far as inspection goes, the only thing to inspect is the mounting bolts. Make sure they are all present and tight. Apparently my failure began with one of the bolts vibrating loose and falling out. There is no way to lubricate the bushings and I wouldn't want to. Grease or oil will deteriorate the bushing.
Old 10-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Crocker View Post
Lance, I recently had a failure of my rear upper torque arm mounting bolts on the frame end, which resulted in a bent torque arm and about 10 days to find a new torque arm and get it installed. I have the old arm and may investigate getting Josam to straighten it. As far as inspection goes, the only thing to inspect is the mounting bolts. Make sure they are all present and tight. Apparently my failure began with one of the bolts vibrating loose and falling out. There is no way to lubricate the bushings and I wouldn't want to. Grease or oil will deteriorate the bushing.
exactly what i was thinking. They are a critical suspension piece, yes, but the only failure more would be bolt falling out or bushing worn out maybe after hundreds of thousands of miles. Visual on the nuts position on the bolt is probably sufficient.
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 10-29-2018

A visual inspection, along with checking torque values I think. I copied the replacement procedure, the upper locknuts require a lot of torque!
Upper Torque Rod
1. Position the upper torque rods onto the axle housing.
2. Install two new capscrews and locknuts into the upper torque rod assembly and axle housing. Tighten the locknuts to 450-550 lb-ft (610-746 N�m). @
3. Refer to the vehicle manufacturer’s instructions to install the fasteners that secure each upper torque rod arm to the frame crossmember.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats