Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-22-2019

Default M380 Just Lost House 12v

Had passenger seat map light on, it started to dim over about a 5 second period, then nothing. Flipped coach master on/off at both locations. Heard the familiar relay "clack" the first couple of times, then nothing. Chassis batteries fine -- everything on the dash lights up (can't start it inside the garage). Spotlight and step motor work. Backup monitor and dash radio dead. All 12v interior lights dead (including bays). Water pump dead. Generator starts and runs fine.

Coach is in storage garage on 50a (has been for months). Go over to work on projects about 1x per week and have always had appropriate 110v and 12v power. Xantrex RC7 GS display is showing coach batteries "full". Light on Xantrex itself said charger was in float charge mode. Shut down all switches/breakers in battery/inverter bay -- my VOM read 13.4V at the battery terminal. Turned everything back on. Charger went into absorption mode and VOM reading went to 14.1v. Coach 12v loads still dead.

By this time, it was 10 PM, I'd been working on projects all day and still had an hour's drive to get home, so I quit trying to figure it out.

Any suggestions about where to start? I haven't load tested the house batteries, but they've been "exercised" periodically and have always done fine running the coach for a few hours with voltage drop that was consistent with the load/time off charger.

As I write this, I realize I may have focused too much on the inverter/charger which appears to be working OK. So what single point of failure in the 12v house circuit could cause this?

Thanks, guys.
Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 05-23-2019

I'm guessing the relay which is controlled by the 12V master. Not sure of its location, but Eric put together a nice spreadsheet correlating breakers and switches and relays to location. Do you have that?

Will look it up.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 05-23-2019

Doug:

Good suggestion -- I do have that spreadsheet somewhere on my laptop. Just too brain dead tonight to go looking for it. I should be back at the garage tomorrow. I'm sure the spreadsheet and wiring diagrams will make more sense if I'm able to look at the coach while reading.

Thanks
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 05-23-2019

This thread gives a clue. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...relay+location
Don says it is behind the relay / breaker box above the stairwell.

If you no longer hear it clicking, that seems like the best place to start.

Even in the batteries are charged, if that relay is not closing, you won't have 12V to most of the house.
Ex-PT36
Old 05-23-2019

I lost 12v last week, and while looking for a cause noticed that a relay inside the relay/breaker area was clicking, when it got quiet 12v came back..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 05-23-2019

“Chassis batteries fine -- everything on the dash lights up (can't start it inside the garage). Spotlight and step motor work. Backup monitor and dash radio dead. All 12v interior lights dead (including bays). Water pump dead. Generator starts and runs fine...”

Are you sure your Chassis (Engine) batts are “fine”? When the ignition key is turned on but the Engine is not running, what does the dash DC voltage gauge say? When in storage, how do you set your AUX BAT switch? Will the engine turn over without the telltale click-click-click? Is your coach alarm working normally? When stored with 50a plugged in, my Chassis Batts (Engine) will drain if the AUX BAT switch is left in the middle (Auto-Normal) position. With shore power connected, I store mine with the AUX BAT switch in the forward position - see pic below. That way the two sides are manually connected so the coach inverter-charger can charge both. My coach and chassis batts are both AGM batts so the charging profiles/voltages are the same. With the Chassis Batts low but not completely drained, the dash lights will work, however the starter will not turn the motor over (click-click-click). The AUX BAT and SUSP DUMP switches are side-by-side, so my memory jog is those two switches must be in the same position - ie stored = Forward/Dumped, & rolling = Middle/Raised. The AUX BAT switch controls the K1-K2 Batt Crossover Solenoids, which are in the big Gray Chassis Box by the Chassis Batts in Bay 6R. BTW the generator has its own start battery. If that batt is going bad, it can be started using the GEN BAT switch. However, as soon as that momentary crossover switch is released, the generator will likely stop (it needs to “see” its own battery to keep running). Yes, discovered that the hard way. Also, the coach water pump is NOT controlled by either of the 12V Master Switches. This allows you to flush the toilet without the Master being ON. If the WP is dead and your Chassis Batts really are good, your problem is upstream from there. In that case, it might be time for your big book of wiring diagrams and a magnifying glass. You do have both right?... Perhaps the dash AUX BATT switch or one of the Crossover Solenoids? These have been known problem points. Let us know what your find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DF0AC82-B95C-4C7B-8020-8B0B98D6D9FC.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	62076  

Last edited by NoGas; 05-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2019

Thanks for all the help. Power woes have followed me home so I’m limited in what I can explore at the moment (me and my 3500 closest neighbors have been suffering the effects of an AEP equipment failure for several hours - they’ve missed 2 estimated fix times so far). Stuck w/o easy connectivity and my giant monitor too look at wiring diagrams on.

Van - all good points to check. My chassis batteries are sealed but not AGM’s so have a different charge profile. Dash voltmeter read 14 but assumed that was because charger was in absorption mode by then and chassis was connected to charger. You’re right that I don’t know their true health without attempting a start.

I installed a dedicated Battery Tender for the generator so it is always being maintained when on shore power.

Based on your previous posts (and real world experience), I was aware the WP was not on the Coach Master. I am, however, puzzled by the water pump being dead at the same time the step motor is working. My logic (not necessarily the same as Bluebird’s) tells me they should either both work, or both not.

OK - enough speculating; time for real sleuthing. I’ll get going as soon as AEP gets their $#§+ together.
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 05-23-2019

Ive had similar whilst driving, hit a bump and lost back up camera / water pump / all interior lights, ended up fixing it by pressing the 12 v master button next to door/passenger seat.
Nobody had pressed this button and it was 'on' as far i was concerned, but toggling it back and forward then everything came back on

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 05-24-2019

Jim, Having similar 12v issue with water pump switch glitching and effecting the Dometic 5 button tstat. No kidding. Try the pump switch and it would kick off the ac compressors.
Talking with Mike M. yesterday got me on track to start checking grounds. Also replaced Bosch relays for water pump. Now we have water and switch not effecting tstat but pump will still not stay on. Tough to work on in a Sams Club parking lot .
Start checking grounds and maybe run some additional ones.
fmca 200288
eglider03@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2019

Jim,
did you get this one licked?
What is the latest?
Doug
Ex-PT36