Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-05-2019
WanderBee

Default Fuel door warning

Late last fall I noticed that the little latch for the fuel door (on the drivers side) was starting to get a little difficult to open and close. This is the one that does NOT have a lock on it for the LX. I had put that on my list of things to do but before I did, the darn thing froze up and wouldn't work at all. The door was effectively shut permanently.

Now, I have a second fuel door on the passenger side (it locks with a key). So, I used that in the meantime. But, I knew that the time was going to come when I needed propane and that is the only place to fill the propane tank. That time came a lot quicker since I am temporarily living in the bird full-time.

I tried spraying some PB Blaster in the latch but even after 2-3 attempts (and 24 hours of soaking), it didn't free it up. I then tried to put some extra force on the latch and all that did was break off the ears of the latch. Prior to doing that, I looked underneath and knew I could get access from below - albeit not easily.

I ended up opening the bay door next to the fuel door and removing the 3 screws that hold the fender. That allowed me to push the fender out just enough to get my hand up there (more easily) with a pair of pliers. I bent the latch mechanism just enough to open the door and then removed the whole latching mechanism and replaced with a new one - looks exactly the same as before.

The latch has a ball and spring that is used as a means to stop the latch from opening. The ball had rusted in place and that's why I could no longer open the latch.

Lesson here is that if your latch is starting to stick, then do something about it sooner rather than later. I could've saved myself a lot of time (about 30-45 minutes) had I just replaced the latch when it started getting finicky.
Marietta, GA