Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2009
Forum owner

Hey David!
I thought it was going to be hard!
hahahahaa!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-31-2009
davidmbrady

What is they say Randy. "Intuitively obvious to the casual observer"! Hehehe
Old 08-31-2009

Dennis,

Per your 1st question...can you show me this diode you asked about. Something is weird here. Look at my panel, there is no diode anywhere to be found. This panel is a very simple 2 momentary switch and 8 led board. Does it look like the diode was maybe a fix for some kind of problem. Does removing it change anything?

Lloyd Chaffin
2004 M380
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom Slide Panel.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	599.4 KB
ID:	2746  
Old 08-31-2009
davidmbrady

Lloyd,

That printed circuit card has a BB engraving on it. Looks like BB did the electronics too.

One important use of diodes is to handle the voltage surge created by interrupting the current in an inductor such as a motor. If the switch is powering the motor directly, as opposed to going thru a relay, then the diode would be put in place to handdle the back-EMF created when the motor stops. The bias of the diode is important. It should be placed in the opposite voltage sense to the applied voltage needed to power the motor. The diode would then protect the switch or other sensitive electronics from the back-EMF. You'll often see diodes sprinkled around relays and solenoids for this purpose. Just a guess.
Old 08-31-2009

David,

Good guess....but

Some of the computer boards have BB engraved on them too but I know for a fact they were made "For Bluebird" by another company. I was told the company (can't remember their name) made the slide electronics just for Bluebird. Guess they just put BB on the circuit boards cause they were making it for BB.

The shunt diodes you speak of are on separate motor driver boards. This operator panel is just a very simple I/O board which goes down to supply I/O to the CPU. CPU runs motors threw some separate driver boards. Two switches "IN & Out" and 8 leds turning off and on is all this panel does. I work on electronics and one diode on the back of this board makes no sense. If it is a resistor and not a diode then maybe I can understand that. Of course some wiring schematics would be real handy. Bluebird left anything about both slides out of the schematics. The 2 things that break the most!

Lloyd Chaffin
2004 M380
Old 08-31-2009

intellitec

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 08-31-2009

This sounds like a great application for a PLC (programable logic controller). The basic PLC (Allen-Bradley, Omron, GE, Siemens...) can be found on eBay for a very reasonable price. The digital I/O will be simple. If the motors are simple on/off without speed control, then tha too will be a fairly low cost interface. I have the available tools for programming a large variety of PLCs if you decide to take that route as a solution. A lot of PLCs can operate on 24V DC or 120V AC. From what I'Ve been reading over the last few years, we should have enough expertise in the group to create the design and implement the solution.

It will be quicker to pay someone with knowledge of the existing solution to make the fix. However, if you can't find someone willing, then collectively, we should be able to deliver a solid solution.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 09-02-2009

Default Great Source especially for M380 ownrs

I spoke with Johnny Anderson who is the service manager for Bleakly Motors in Jackson Georgia. He told me this morning that he knows more about the M380 than anyone else; in his words "when it comes to the M380 I am God."

His work number is 866.461.2613

His cell number is 478.719.1734

He said if I ever call him on his cell I will have to send him a check. My guess is there will be times when I will be happy to send him a check for his knowledge.

Johnny also told me that Blue Bird made the slide rooms themselves for my M380, but Bottoms & Associates in Georgia owned by his friend Joey Bottoms made all the CPUs, and operating equipment for the slides. Joey's number is 770.358.1344. According to Johnny, Bottoms is still very much in business and can program and/or supply all the M380 slide operating equipment we need.

Sounds like two great sources.

Dennis
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2009

Oh, one other thing. Johnny told me that the circuit board/CPU problems on the M380 are because people forgot to remove the yellow film when installing them and they become overheated; something about a heat shield.

Dennis
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 09-27-2009

Hey Guys,
1. One little thing on the rear slide that might be worth knowing. I didn't notice anything on this previously, but maybe I missed it. I've had a problem with my rear slide in that sometimes it doesn't seem to know that the seal pressure has been dumped within the 10 seconds so it doesn't move. If I manually dump the seal air pressure at the regulator in the second left bay and let it sit for about 30 minutes it finally realizes that the pressure has been dumped and will allow the slide to operate. After the rear slide is in or out, I close the manual dump valve and operate the front slide. It will not operate with the air dumped.

2. Can the rear slide be moved in enough to get to the seal by unplugging the jack-screw motor and applying 12vdc power directly to the motor with the seal manually dumped? The lock can be unlocked by removing the actuator bolt and temporarily securing it with a tie-wrap. The lock actuator should also be unplugged. If this will work, before moving the slide in the awning would have to be disconnected from the outside of the slide and laid back on top of the bus.