Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 11-25-2009

Default Computer Questions

This doesn't have to do with Blue Birds except as a full timer this is an important issue for me, but I felt sure there were some computer wizards on here who could help me. I just bought a new computer and wanted to transfer my Outlook contacts and emails and also my Bookmarks for internet sites to my new computer from my old one.

Is there some sort of relatively simple way to do that. Maybe get a USB cable and hook it to both computers and then what?

Thanks

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 11-25-2009
Forum owner

i just give my computers to bruce campbell,and it comes back fixed.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-25-2009

I just bought one of those $298 laptops at Walmart and transferred my files using a CD. It also serves as a backup disk.

I can't help with Outlook, but if you use Firefox, you can export the bookmarks from your old computer and import them to the new one. It's under Organize Bookmarks..Import and Backup.
Old 11-25-2009

Talking Moving computer files

A thumb drive is an easy way to copy files from one computer and put them on another. I figured this out after wasting a bunch of CD's copying pics off of one computer so I could put them on another one.
Happened to look down below my monitor one day and there layed the thumb drive and suddenly the light came on.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 11-26-2009

Your contacts and email should be stored locally in a file named Outlook.pst (the default data file name). Outlook.pst is stored in the <drive>:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder.
Note The default location is a hidden folder. To use Windows Explorer to navigate to this folder, you must first turn on the display of hidden folders. In Windows Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options. On the View tab, under Advanced Settings, under Files and Folders, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders. If you want to see all file name extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box under Files and Folders. Hidden folders appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical folders.

You can move any Outlook .pst file to any location on your computer. For example, some people like to keep their Outlook data files on drive D or under My Documents, so that creating backup files is easier.

Glenn
Old 11-26-2009

Under Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools (for Windows XP, location in Vista or 7 might be slightly different), there is a program called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

This should package everything up for you into a file which you then use a thumb drive to copy to the new computer. Run the same program to bring it all in.

Brian
Falmouth, MA
Old 12-01-2009

Default Computer Help

The biggest flash drive I have is 8GB and I think with that I'll have to transfer the files and stuff in separate chunks. My old laptop computer (80GB hard drive) was getting full so I just went to one with a 500 GB hard drive. Wonder how long it will take to fill that one up? Should last a couple of years I hope

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-01-2009

Another option is to get a USB to IDE Cable Adapter. You can remove the hard drive from the old computer and use it as an external hard drive or just transfer the files.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...A-2012&cat=HDD
Old 12-02-2009
Geek

I recently upgraded my primary laptop to a new one with 64-bit Windows 7. For that there is a new version of the migration - the old XP version doesn't work with Windows 7. I downloaded the XP one from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en and ran it on the XP machine, then connected it to the Win7 machine (ethernet through a router) and the program popped up automatically on Win7 and did its thing. It moved about 46GB worth of stuff including every photo it could find, browser settings, desktop icons, you name it.

Still had to do a lot of program installations, but the transfer made it much less work!
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 12-02-2009

Hi Lee,

Wal-Mart has a Western Digital 1 TB portable drive for $78. Great for backups/transfers.

(BTW Saturn running great--really easy hookup--wiring different but eazy fix)
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".